What's the most cost effective way

sullim4

My parents are re-doing their kitchen. Their old kitchen has a laundry area directly off of it that has a very old washer, but a relatively new dryer (< 1 yr old). Their redesign has them gutting the laundry area and putting the washer and dryer into cabinets inside the kitchen, so they need to buy a dryer that will fit.

This leaves them with a pretty new dryer. It just so happens the dryer in my place is ancient and it'd be a nice upgrade. How much would it cost to ship this thing from NYS to Washington state? I'm seeing several hundred dollars, which seems ridiculous, so they might end up donating the dryer instead. However, I was just curious if I was missing something. Thanks!

FedEx ground is fairly inexpensive, from my experience. I just entered a 125 package from WNY to Seattle (I don't know where in WNY or Washington the respective places are), dropped off by the consumer and delivered to a residence and the estimated cost was $113.20. Just an estimate from little info, of course.

http://freightrates.org/

Last time I had to ship something big and heavy (the transmission to an '84 Saab - don't ask), freight was cheapest. Not exactly fast - but since you're shipping a dryer and not a litter of puppies or a kidney, I'm assuming speed is not of the essence.

Note: I don't vouch for that site, it just looks like the best option I saw after a cursory google search.

Since time is not a factor try the rideshare section of Craigslist. It's not unusual to see listings wanting items delivered or someone who has room in a van/trailer that is trying to get some gas money.

Post in the nearest major city near your parents and near yourself and check out other cities that you would be willing to travel to to pick up the dryer. Offer 50% of the best price you see for shipping.

Since time is not a factor try the rideshare section of Craigslist. It's not unusual to see listings wanting items delivered or someone who has room in a van/trailer that is trying to get some gas money.

Post in the nearest major city near your parents and near yourself and check out other cities that you would be willing to travel to to pick up the dryer. Offer 50% of the best price you see for shipping.

That sounds like the perfect way to start a scam!

"That is right Mr. Johnson, we are going to California and have a little room in the van! Just give us 50 bucks and the goods... It will get there for sure."

Yeah, the quotes I got were outrageous - over a thousand dollars. They're going to donate it to the yard sale the K of C is putting on. I'll stick it out a few more years with my dryer.

Thanks all for the advice!