Quick note on Roscoe Parrish

I just read Chris Brown's article on Roscoe Parrish's attitude vis-a-vis training camp, and liked the following statement:

"I made a bad decision in the Cleveland game, but every guy makes mistakes."

There's more, and it's the normal optimistic fluff that we all read during training camp, but - not that he reads the crap on this board - I wanted to publicly commend him on the above statement. It's called "humility", and it's a sign of maturation. I, for one, am glad that Roscoe's still on the team. I hope and pray that the coaching staff keeps him returning punts as long as he can, but don't mind putting him into the slot. A happy Roscoe is a productive Roscoe. Give him 2-3 reception attempts a game - what he makes of those attempts are his business, and they determine his future.

In any case, Roscoe, thanks for "manning up". There are a few other Bills players that owe the fan base the same candor, and I'm rooting for you come September.

"We Got By" - Al Jarreau

He owned up to being phlankton stupid. Its a start.

A season of a thousand yards begins by standing on the ten yard line and not taking a single step backwards.

As if Roscoe Parrish was the only Buffalo Bill who made a costly in-game mistake. I can't blame him for trying - if I was used to playing offense and had all of my receiving opportunities taken away from me, I'd also try to make plays any time I had the slightest chance to do so (as I'm sure 80-90% of ppl on this board would do as well). If you were in his situation and wanted to be a full time receiver, but had that stripped from your resume, you'd try to force the issue when given other opportunities, trust me. If not, then you're not a true competitor...

As if Roscoe Parrish was the only Buffalo Bill who made a costly in-game mistake. I can't blame him for trying - if I was used to playing offense and had all of my receiving opportunities taken away from me, I'd also try to make plays any time I had the slightest chance to do so (as I'm sure 80-90% of ppl on this board would do as well). If you were in his situation and wanted to be a full time receiver, but had that stripped from your resume, you'd try to force the issue when given other opportunities, trust me. If not, then you're not a true competitor...

Good point. I never considered that. I don't mind being optimistic - even in light of this team's repeated failures - because there is a new G.M. and a new coach and new scheme; and my optimism is rooted in seeing potential and hoping it materializes - and although the offensive line could be bad - it might not be that bad. If it holds then I think our offense could surprise some teams at first - because we have a lot of speed. Spiller, Evans, Hardy, Nelson, Easley, and Parrish - if we use him right or if he figures it out as a WR. Sure, most people mock the idea that we could be good this year, but that bunch has speed.

I'm not the slightest bit worried about Roscoe's mentality, effort, or skill, and I'm looking forward to seeing him properly utilized this season. The haters will come around.

A truly stupid competitor, maybe.

I'd do what my coach told me to do, figuring that that would be better for the team and get me in more games. And it would.

Good luck to Roscoe, but I'm not expecting much from him.

The guy can field punts but he has a lot to prove as a WR. Just shut up and start playing like a 3rd rd pick is supposed to, its been four or five years already, about time to show something.

I understand what you are saying. Well put. But my answer is that I would not have made the stupid mistakes Roscoe did under any circumstance.

Really? You know this b/c you have actually returned punts in the NFL? If you have, more power to you but if you haven't there is absolutely no way you can make that statement and have it be valid. It's easy to sit back and watch and then be critical.