Holy Crap, this team wasn't doing Squats?!?!?!!?

I am about as far as you get from a professional athlete but how was Donte Whitner only squatting 405 for 3 or 4 when graduating from Ohio State and being picked in the top 15 of the NFL Draft?

I went to Webster High School in New York and we had at least 8 or 10 guys doing this in HIGH SCHOOL. Not all of them were lineman either. I was only 205 at the time and was doing 405 for 12. (This isn't about me so don't say I'm a tough guy or anything like that)

My point is, how does an NFL caliber player only squat 405 for 3 or 4? I can't help but question work ethic in that case. Maybe it's just me.

Yeah, no kidding. In High School, I was a puny 128 lbs. and just under 5'8" and I could squat 250. An NFL player ought to be able to double what I did back then.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, no kidding. In High School, I was a puny 128 lbs. and just under 5'8" and I could squat 250. An NFL player ought to be able to double what I did back then.

Not really. When thinking about what you are trying to acomplish with the squat is the key thing. If it is just leg and overall body strength then anything over 2x BW is good. If you are trying for powerlifting etc then 2.5-3x is what you are looking for or more.

I would expect most DB's around 185-205 to be doing about 405 for 3 strong reps. Keep in mind this is with just a belt and maybe knee straps, not some suited up power lifter with gear on.

Bull ****. NOT going past parallel is what would hurt the knees. Olympic lifters, ass to grass with the weight, you dont' see them blowing out ACL's or getting knee replacements :wallbash:

Man some of you are so far off on squatting it isn't funny.

Yeah your the biggest joke on here with a internet tough guy attitude. Tell my surgeon and my blown out acl about going past parallel. Oh and I have seen more than a few powerlifters blow out their knee from a squat going past parellel. What a joke you are. Now on my ignore list . Seeya.

Yeah your the biggest joke on here with a internet tough guy attitude. Tell my surgeon and my blown out acl about going past parallel. Oh and I have seen more than a few powerlifters blow out their knee from a squat going past parellel. What a joke you are. Now on my ignore list . Seeya.

Ignorance is bliss huh? You don't blow ACL's from going below parallel its how you keep from it. BTW the Surgeon that put back together my knee AGREES with me its how you keep them strong and healthy.

I do this to myself cincy and I need to stop....should have never brought up my son again.

I have Sooooo much good news I would like to share with the board on my kids but...............

You have shared much with us through the years and added humanity in good measure to the board. It is appreciated. I do hope things are going well. It's unfortunate that someone would read a benign topic about exercise regimens and then decide somehow to unleash a personal attack.

You have shared much with us through the years and added humanity in good measure to the board. It is appreciated. I do hope things are going well. It's unfortunate that someone would read a benign topic about exercise regimens and then decide somehow to unleash a personal attack.

Thank you for your thoughts cinci

^^^^

This

Wow! I'm not a workout warrior anymore not since college however, hearing that guys hadn't done squats since college is troubling. Its a pretty basic exercise that does a lot. I know there's probably a hundred other ways to work the same muscles however it doesn't sound like the Bills were employing those exercises. I remember when the Bills were cutting edge under Rusty drinking pedialyte in the week leading up to their away game at Miami in the heat......

Not really. When thinking about what you are trying to acomplish with the squat is the key thing. If it is just leg and overall body strength then anything over 2x BW is good. If you are trying for powerlifting etc then 2.5-3x is what you are looking for or more.

I would expect most DB's around 185-205 to be doing about 405 for 3 strong reps. Keep in mind this is with just a belt and maybe knee straps, not some suited up power lifter with gear on.

I meant double the amount I actually squatted, i.e. 2 x 250 = 500 lbs. But I guess 405 makes sense for a DB.

I am about as far as you get from a professional athlete but how was Donte Whitner only squatting 405 for 3 or 4 when graduating from Ohio State and being picked in the top 15 of the NFL Draft?

I went to Webster High School in New York and we had at least 8 or 10 guys doing this in HIGH SCHOOL. Not all of them were lineman either. I was only 205 at the time and was doing 405 for 12. (This isn't about me so don't say I'm a tough guy or anything like that)

My point is, how does an NFL caliber player only squat 405 for 3 or 4? I can't help but question work ethic in that case. Maybe it's just me.

I can verify this, I also played FB for Webster High for 4 years, their lifting program is insane. Guys look like Philistine giants.

When JJ was the head coach in Miami he would work the Dolphins to a pulp in the off season and preseason. Every year the Dolphins would start out 6-0, 7-0 and 5-2 and then they would filter off like they were tired. IMHO Jimmy Johnson overworked the Dolphins and made them hit the wall to early in the season.

Just because a head coach works the **** out of their team in the off season don't make it correct. You have to run a marathon not a sprint in the NFL.

When JJ was the head coach in Miami he would work the Dolphins to a pulp in the off season and preseason. Every year the Dolphins would start out 6-0, 7-0 and 5-2 and then they would filter off like they were tired. IMHO Jimmy Johnson overworked the Dolphins and made them hit the wall to early in the season.

Just because a head coach works the **** out of their team in the off season don't make it correct. You have to run a marathon not a sprint in the NFL.

Agree.

Although, in some situations, hard practice works out very nice. Like when your season is 4 weeks long.

The movie version is great, BTW.

One of my high school football assistant coaches used to say "You're most likely to get injured when your not going 100%". I think that makes sense. If you're on the field and not giving it your all, then you become the target rather than the arrow. You're getting hit instead of doing the hitting. Of course, not giving 100% on the field really ties back in with poor S & C. There may be some players who are just lazy and lack a competitive spirit on game day, but I think guys like that are the exception. I don't think you make it to the NFL without some degree of competitive spirit. However, I think most cases of not giving 100% on the field relate back to poor S & C.

I'm looking forward to watching this team this year. They may or may not succeed, but if they don't succeed I don't think it will be due to a lack of effort if what Whitner and other players say is true.

I was in complete amazement when I read that. The squat and other olympic strength training is essential to core strength. This is fundamental. They did this stuff, at some basic levels, as far back as the 50's.

Gailey and his people are going to turn this thing around.

Screw core strength.

We're not talking about abdominal power here, man.

Let's talk about overall body power and strength, especially for the men on the line. Hip strength, shoulder stability and power; chest, triceps, and on and on. These basic moves are essential for building the entire body of power.

You would think that anyone employed at the professional level would know their stuff. Club Jauron was terrible.

I can verify this, I also played FB for Webster High for 4 years, their lifting program is insane. Guys look like Philistine giants.

I was squatting 405 lbs when I was 17.

Heavy, but I would think that the pros with all of their anabolics would be beyond...

Wow! I'm not a workout warrior anymore not since college however, hearing that guys hadn't done squats since college is troubling. Its a pretty basic exercise that does a lot. I know there's probably a hundred other ways to work the same muscles however it doesn't sound like the Bills were employing those exercises. I remember when the Bills were cutting edge under Rusty drinking pedialyte in the week leading up to their away game at Miami in the heat......

Or being 1 of 2 teams (Denver being the other) that instituted the "Bod Pod" to measure body fat percentage.

I'm still a workout warrior, and I can't believe that for a sport such as football that the squat is not THE fundamental exercise in all weight rooms.

I read Tiki Barber's workout book last year. That is how you build strength, power, and the like. Increasing tissue strength through resistance training builds supporting tissue- which helps to reduce the incidence and severity of injury. Squats, power cleans, cleans and presses, bench presses, rows, rope pulls, axe work, tire rolls, kettlebells. Strongman-type of things repeated over and over again.

I think we can now see why the Bills have been pushovers for the past few years and collapse when faced with any adversity.

Here's to hoping that a return to the basics will have the Bills winning again!

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/05/27/1064...work-under.html

Are you !@#$ing kidding me? No cleans, No squats? No wonder our guys legs were getting blown out and our linemen sucked....no !@#$ing leg strength!

In all seriousness, if this team wasn't doing squats as the baseline for their leg strength....Holy **** that explains a LOT! Man most high school football teams use the Squat, hang clean and bench as the baselines to their programs.

BTW I love the fact the coaches monitor ever rep in the squat to ensure both safety and effectiveness. I like the part if they can't do it they lighten it some. That is SMART strength training.

Im sorry but an NFL team not squatting just blows me away.

Great post and thanks for the link. Club Jauron is over. I love that. As an avid weight lifter, I can tell you that squats are the king of all exercises. Nothing builds strength and mass better. I'm glad they have two S&C coaches in there making sure these guys work. The results should be obvious. You will see fewer injuries and a better conditioned team that can put away teams when it counts in the 4th quarter.

You're supposed to break 90 degrees. Ass to the grass is the proper term. It's not a squat unless you break parallel. Proper form, stance and movement is how you stay injury free. You also can't bite off more than you can chew and lift a reasonable weight.

Powerlifters know the consequences. They wear lifting suits and have knee wraps. The rep doesn't count at a contest unless you break parallel.