[SUW] Favorite Holiday song?

Just Jack

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That one that U2 did with all the 80's band....I think it's called So this is Christmas.

140764[/snapback]

That's John Lennon's "Happy Christmas (War is Over)," isn't it? I still remember being at one of Jamie Notarthomas's shows in Rochester over Christmastime during the Gulf War and hearing him do that.

Well, as long as this thread is already in motion, I need to mention something.

I had to make a copy of the Rat Pack Christmas Album for my wife, and I slipped the CD into the car stereo to make sure the newly burned CD copy was playable.

While listening to Dean Martin's version of "Rudolph" I noticed something odd.

If anyone has the version of him singing Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer, please check out the final verse that goes, "Then all the reindeer loved him, as they shouted out with glee...."

Martin, who sounds like he'd had a few cocktails during the recording sessions, refers a few times to Rudolph as "Rudy" and then in the final verse after the words "shouted out with glee", sings, "Rudy the RED DICK (or red dicked) reindeer...you'll go down in history".

If you have this access to this recording, check it out. Are my ears deceiving me? Please confirm that you're hearing the same thing or is there a better explanation for the lyric he's singing?

140844[/snapback]

This wouldn't surprise me at all, though I've never heard him sing it. The Rat Pack never thought twice about getting a little bit raunchy. Does the CD have Frank singing his swinging version of "Jingle Bells"?

"I love those J-I-N-G-L-E Bells, Oh...those holiday J-I-N-G-L-E Bells, Oh, I love those J-I-N-G-L-E B-E Double L S, I love those J-I-N-G-L-E Bells.

Jingle Bells, Jing, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the wayyyy."

Frank's the greatest.

For humor, you can't beat the Bob Rivers Twisted Christmas CD! Great stuff.

For serious ones, I like Bing Crosby and David Bowie's version of "Little Drummer Boy", The Beach Boys' "The Man With All The Toys", and Elvis' "Blue Christmas", to name just a few.

For humor, you can't beat the Bob Rivers Twisted Christmas CD!  Great stuff. 

For serious ones, I like Bing Crosby and David Bowie's version of "Little Drummer Boy", The Beach Boys' "The Man With All The Toys", and Elvis' "Blue Christmas", to name just a few.

140982[/snapback]

Hey Rich...did you ever hear the version of Elvis' "Blue Christmas" where he starts cracking up in the middle of the song because of the backup singers? The backups keep going, and he's laughing his ass off, then finally recovers and finishes the song. Funny stuff.

Hey Rich...did you ever hear the version of Elvis' "Blue Christmas" where he starts cracking up in the middle of the song because of the backup singers? The backups keep going, and he's laughing his ass off, then finally recovers and finishes the song. Funny stuff.

140989[/snapback]

No, but I have heard (via the Don and Mike show's annual "Elvis Death Day" show) him doing "Are You Lonesome Tonight" and cracking up while on stage. I'll be on the lookout for the Blue Christmas you're referring to.

No, but I have heard (via the Don and Mike show's annual "Elvis Death Day" show) him doing "Are You Lonesome Tonight" and cracking up while on stage.  I'll be on the lookout for the Blue Christmas you're referring to.

140998[/snapback]

That could very well be the one I'm thinking of. Sorry about that. Not sure why I was convinced it was "Blue Christmas."

That could very well be the one I'm thinking of. Sorry about that. Not sure why I was convinced it was "Blue Christmas."

141000[/snapback]

I actually have a few audio tapes of one of the Elvis Death Day shows that includes the Are You Lonesome Tonight gigglefest. I can make you a copy if you want.

The Christmas Shoes.  That is one that makes me lose my lunch.

140735[/snapback]

absolutely the worst song I have ever heard...and this stretches way beyond christmas music

what really gets me is, some idiots find it to be the most touching song they've ever heard :lol:

"Christmas at Ground Zero" and "The Night Santa Went Crazy," both by Weird Al. :lol:

CW

140853[/snapback]

Absolutely - "Christmas at Ground Zero" was the only reason I bought the Dr. Demento Christmas CD.

A more serious answer: one of the greatest pieces of music ever written, the "Hallelujah Chorus" from Handel's Messiah. (Technically, it's not even part of the "Christmas section" of the oratorio. I don't care. Still have the tenor part memorized, all these years after singing it in high school.)

And on the rare occasions during December when the CD player doesn't contain one of my Handel CDs, I'm normally playing the disc from the Christmas concert Peter, Paul, and Mary did with the New York Chorus a few years back (the one that still shows up on PBS every year).

Honorable mention: any really good tenor singing "O Holy Night". Pavarotti is great, but I've always been partial to Placido Domingo myself....

I think they were over well before NG was mean.....just a thought

Guff, since you're my (former) dear friend and in light of the holiday season, I shall refrain from telling you to go :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: yourself. B)

absolutely the worst song I have ever heard...and this stretches way beyond christmas music

what really gets me is, some idiots find it to be the most touching song they've ever heard  :lol:

141008[/snapback]

Yup. The Christmas Shoes song is an instant channel changer...right after my gag reflex starts kicking in.

It's a three way tie for seasonal tunes.

Fairytale in New York by the Pogues

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) by U2

Do They Know It's Christmas by Band-Aid

Special shout-out to the Pixies for The Holiday Song.

For classic hymns, I'm partial to "What Child is This?"

I downloaded the song...

The slurring is just his "style"..and he does say Rudy a couple times..just to "jazz' it up.

Had to laugh when he tries to talk like Santa,, doing a german accent.. :lol: Where did that come from?? :lol:  :lol:

Now to the Rudy the Red Dick question...Played it a couple times..hard to hear clearly..but it sure sounds like that's what he says..LMAO!!! :o  :lol:

140894[/snapback]

:lol::lol::lol: i just heard this song on the radio, and i think hes trying to sing "Rudy the Red-Beaked reindeer".... but yea it does sound like hes singing it the other way..... or maybe hes singing about Rudolph's encounter with a virgin? :lol: either way thats hilarious :lol: