Despite the big mouth....Whats your real opinion?

Pitta

Borderline top 10 safety? :thumbsup::lol::ph34r:

Donte Whitner has done nothing to distinguish himself better than George Wilson. In fact many astute Bills fans feel Wilson is a better option. I don't think Whitner is worthless but he is no better than average. Top ten? Not even close.

He was on pace for 132 tackles and already had an INT for a touchdown. Whitner is regarded as one of the better cover safties in the league and routinely faces slot receivers.

The league's opinion outside of Buffalo of Whitner is a lot higher than it is here. People are still bitter about the #8 selection, which Whitner had nothing to do with.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was on pace for 132 tackles and already had an INT for a touchdown. Whitner is regarded as one of the better cover safties in the league and routinely faces slot receivers.

The league's opinion outside of Buffalo of Whitner is a lot higher than it is here. People are still bitter about the #8 selection, which Whitner had nothing to do with.

Your well stated comments reflect on how I feel about Whitner. Although Whitner has looked a little silly with his inflated expectations for the team I'm not going to criticize a player who cares about the team. Whitner wants to be a Buffalo Bill and he wants to be part of its development. Just compare his team attitude with Lynch and some other players. The Bills have not been too successful during his tenure. What you haven't seen him do is point the finger at other players and coaches and express his frustrations in a damaging way.

Our DL and LBs haven't been too successful in pressuring the qb. That certainly has an affect on the backers. If the the front players can put more heat on the qb the very good play of the DBs would be even better.

Overall, Whitner is an asset for the defense and team. The Bills need to add players who have similar positive attitudes and get rid of some of the non contributing baggage.

Although Whitner has looked a little silly with his inflated expectations for the team I'm not going to criticize a player who cares about the team.

Whitner wants to be a Buffalo Bill and he wants to be part of its development. Just compare his team attitude with Lynch and some other players. The Bills have not been too successful during his tenure. What you haven't seen him do is point the finger at other players and coaches and express his frustrations in a damaging way.

John, you're missing the point.

What you are failing to understand is that Whitner is a POS because he cares (he's a loudmouth) and Trent Edwards is a POS because he doesn't care (he's not a "Bills' Fan").

It's very simple, really.

Donte Whitner was not on pace for 132 tackles. He had 57 total tackles over the 10 games he appeared in and wasn't likely to get 75 more in 6 games.

He is decent in coverage but definately not a playmaker. IMO, top ten safeties are guys you have to gameplan around and Whitner isn't one of them. The "league's" opinion is not an acceptable measure. You and I have no idea what the general consensus is and where he might actually stack up, according to the "league".

People are bitter about the #8 selection but I think Whitner has been given a fair chance. The majority Bills fans will tell you he is average. The remaining few will tell you he is worthless or top ten in the league.

Right now, I think Whitner is the epitome of why this franchise is where it's at today. As a matter of fact, that draft epitomizes why we are where we are today in the first two selections. Ngata, Bunkley, or Whitner? The choice was obvious to all of us, but not to Marv, Dick, Ralph, and the rest of the "Inner Circle". Then the trade back into the 1st to take McCargo. It was horrible. If we take Ngata and then stay put to take any of a number of players we ar in a completely different situation right now.

Donte Whitner was not on pace for 132 tackles. He had 57 total tackles over the 10 games he appeared in and wasn't likely to get 75 more in 6 games.

He is decent in coverage but definately not a playmaker. IMO, top ten safeties are guys you have to gameplan around and Whitner isn't one of them. The "league's" opinion is not an acceptable measure. You and I have no idea what the general consensus is and where he might actually stack up, according to the "league".

People are bitter about the #8 selection but I think Whitner has been given a fair chance. The majority Bills fans will tell you he is average. The remaining few will tell you he is worthless or top ten in the league.

He got injured in the 3rd game and played the rest of the season injured. He was playing his best football at the start of the season. How many beautiful open field tackles did he have against Moss in the opener (which isn't easy)? But then h got hurt and people couldn't wait to rip him because Wilson played well himself.

Whitner has be nothing but a good Bill and team player. Yet, some fans just love to pile on him. It's jsut kinda of sad to me to rip quality guys. He may never turn into the player people wanted at #8 but this hate is jsut pathetic IMO.

Right now, I think Whitner is the epitome of why this franchise is where it's at today. As a matter of fact, that draft epitomizes why we are where we are today in the first two selections. Ngata, Bunkley, or Whitner? The choice was obvious to all of us, but not to Marv, Dick, Ralph, and the rest of the "Inner Circle". Then the trade back into the 1st to take McCargo. It was horrible. If we take Ngata and then stay put to take any of a number of players we ar in a completely different situation right now.

No offense but assuming players would progress exactly the same on a different franchise is stupid. You really don't think Whitner and McCargo won't be much better players on the Ravens? Average players like Justin Bannan and Jim Leonhard played well for the Ravens. It is a defensive juggernaut.

He got injured in the 3rd game and played the rest of the season injured. He was playing his best football at the start of the season. How many beautiful open field tackles did he have against Moss in the opener (which isn't easy)? But then h got hurt and people couldn't wait to rip him because Wilson played well himself.

Whitner has be nothing but a good Bill and team player. Yet, some fans just love to pile on him. It's jsut kinda of sad to me to rip quality guys. He may never turn into the player people wanted at #8 but this hate is jsut pathetic IMO.

I don't hate Donte Whitner. I just think he is an average NFL safety.

No offense but assuming players would progress exactly the same on a different franchise is stupid. You really don't think Whitner and McCargo won't be much better players on the Ravens? Average players like Justin Bannan and Jim Leonhard played well for the Ravens. It is a defensive juggernaut.

I think you might be missing his point. Levy turned down many offers to trade down, insisting on drafting Whitner, who is anything but an impact player.

Then, he traded up to take McCargo.

We entered day 1 of the 06 draft with the #8, a 2nd, and 2 early 3rd round picks. We came away with Whitner, McCargo and Youboty. We followed up this absolute nightmare with Ko Simpson in round 4. THIS is why the team is bad, not because of Whitner personally.

Are you seeing this now?

Yeah, the only problem is, Ngata isn't average. Ngata would excel on any team. Period. And I would say 75% of Bills fans would have picked him. Just like they would have picked Orakpo over Maybin.

It would nice if Bills fans were really made to feel like fans again. That is, it would be nice for the front office to outsmart the fans once in a while, so we can shut up. Not the case in past years. One could have listened to Mel Kiper and had a better draft than our front office.

I think you might be missing his point. Levy turned down many offers to trade down, insisting on drafting Whitner, who is anything but an impact player.

Then, he traded up to take McCargo.

We entered day 1 of the 06 draft with the #8, a 2nd, and 2 early 3rd round picks. We came away with Whitner, McCargo and Youboty. We followed up this absolute nightmare with Ko Simpson in round 4. THIS is why the team is bad, not because of Whitner personally.

Are you seeing this now?

Yet, we finished 7-9 3 years in a row with JP Losman and Trent Edwards. If we had a real NFL level QB, would people be whining about these picks? Take Peyton Manning off the Colts, how woudl they be?

People keep whining about the wrong things. Teams screw up picks. Our problem is we haven't found a QB in over a decade. We aren't the Lions or Raiders yet we have had almost as bad QBs.

Qbs are the difference between winning and losing.

John, you're missing the point.

What you are failing to understand is that Whitner is a POS because he cares (he's a loudmouth) and Trent Edwards is a POS because he doesn't care (he's not a "Bills' Fan").

It's very simple, really.

Just think, if I struggle with such simple concepts how in the world am I going to conquer compex concepts? I guess being befuddled is a normal state of the mind for me. LOL :thumbsup:

Yet, we finished 7-9 3 years in a row with JP Losman and Trent Edwards. If we had a real NFL level QB, would people be whining about these picks? Take Peyton Manning off the Colts, how woudl they be?

People keep whining about the wrong things. Teams screw up picks. Our problem is we haven't found a QB in over a decade. We aren't the Lions or Raiders yet we have had almost as bad QBs.

Qbs are the difference between winning and losing.

You are wrong. Flat out, completely wrong, but I don't expect you to change your mind, or even consider another viewpoint. Too bad mind you because it really is simple.....If a team uses its best picks on sub-par players, it will suck. If the team is small market and cannot hide this with free agents, it will suck even more. If the team plays in the cold and uses its best resources on defensive backs and running backs (with no blocking and a small, ineffective DL), it will go more than a decade without making the playoffs.

Levy/Jauron were the epitome of how to lose.

You are wrong. Flat out, completely wrong, but I don't expect you to change your mind, or even consider another viewpoint. Too bad mind you because it really is simple.....If a team uses its best picks on sub-par players, it will suck. If the team is small market and cannot hide this with free agents, it will suck even more. If the team plays in the cold and uses its best resources on defensive backs and running backs (with no blocking and a small, ineffective DL), it will go more than a decade without making the playoffs.

Levy/Jauron were the epitome of how to lose.

So honestly believe if the Bills switched QBs with the Colts, there won't be a dramatic change in both teams records??? Ddi you see how the Colts looked without Manning this year? IT could argued that over the last 5 years in the NFL, no team has had worst QB play than Losman, Edwards, and Fitzpatrick. Yet we won, 6 and 7 games every year.

We are slightly below average every year yet have pathetic QB play. If we had Manning, Brees, Brady and kept our roster exactly the same, we aren't looking at a playoff less decade. It really is that simple. The Jets had one of the most complete teams last year and Sanchez single handedly would have made them miss the playoffs if the Bengals and Colts didn't lay down.

Qbs matter that much.

The guy has NOT been a bust. Maybe he hasn't been a huge success but he still comes to play and would be a starter on most teams. His curse was being picked #8. What if he'd been picked in the 4th round? Then what would opinions be about the guy?

So honestly believe if the Bills switched QBs with the Colts, there won't be a dramatic change in both teams records??? Ddi you see how the Colts looked without Manning this year? IT could argued that over the last 5 years in the NFL, no team has had worst QB play than Losman, Edwards, and Fitzpatrick. Yet we won, 6 and 7 games every year.

We are slightly below average every year yet have pathetic QB play. If we had Manning, Brees, Brady and kept our roster exactly the same, we aren't looking at a playoff less decade. It really is that simple. The Jets had one of the most complete teams last year and Sanchez single handedly would have made them miss the playoffs if the Bengals and Colts didn't lay down.

Qbs matter that much.

C-Man, there are oh so few Peyton Mannings, and for that matter Tom Bradys (although I suspect Brady is on his way down). Manning is one of the all time greats. He is actually improving as he ages. The man is a freak and of course he would make any team better (assuming he is in one piece).

That said, these guys are rare. I have only seen perhaps 10 qbs even in his class in my entire life (I would have to count; it's probably way less). Still, teams such as the Ravens with Dilfer won the superbowl, and there have been other qbs in that game that could best be described as adequate.

My point is that the Bills were not constructed properly after Polian left. If they get strong up front on both sides, pieces would fall into place. They would use the weather to their advantage and win football games. A great qb could push them over the edge; this is true. But a good one could get them to the playoffs. I liked this draft after round 1, and suspect that Nix/Gailey are far superior to the horrid, losing tandem of Levy/Jauron.

Let's hope!!!

The guy has NOT been a bust. Maybe he hasn't been a huge success but he still comes to play and would be a starter on most teams. His curse was being picked #8. What if he'd been picked in the 4th round? Then what would opinions be about the guy?

If he was picked in the 4th round, he probably would have been cut or traded by now...just like McCargo...err wait, McCargo failed his physical with the Colts which voided his trade. After standing next to Donte during a training camp break, it seemed like the the guy probably goes for maybe 180 lbs. (not much bigger than Roscoe)

I think, on a real defense, with a competent front 7, Whitner would be fine. It is really hard to judge anyone over the last few seasons, based on the lousy coaching, and schemes that the team has employed. I still think there is the potential for Whitner to be a good football player. He has looked very good at times, others not so much. The whole team needs a makeover...hopefully it starts looking better this year.

Somehow Byrd managed to be a very good player in that "lousy" system. Wilson had a nice year as well. In fact, the secondary was 2nd in the NFL in pass defense and 2nd in the NFL in opponents QB rating. Thats 2nd only to the Jets. So while Lil Donte lovers want to make excuses for him, the secondary was very good despite a lack of pass rush and a "lousy" system.

Soooooo..yeah......

C-Man, there are oh so few Peyton Mannings, and for that matter Tom Bradys (although I suspect Brady is on his way down). Manning is one of the all time greats. He is actually improving as he ages. The man is a freak and of course he would make any team better (assuming he is in one piece).

That said, these guys are rare. I have only seen perhaps 10 qbs even in his class in my entire life (I would have to count; it's probably way less). Still, teams such as the Ravens with Dilfer won the superbowl, and there have been other qbs in that game that could best be described as adequate.

My point is that the Bills were not constructed properly after Polian left. If they get strong up front on both sides, pieces would fall into place. They would use the weather to their advantage and win football games. A great qb could push them over the edge; this is true. But a good one could get them to the playoffs. I liked this draft after round 1, and suspect that Nix/Gailey are far superior to the horrid, losing tandem of Levy/Jauron.

Let's hope!!!

You're reaching here. The Ravens are the exception rather than the norm. How many teams win SBs without good to great QBs? Our QBs have been absolutely brutal. There are 15 QBs in the league who could instantly make us a playoff contender.

For as great as Polian is, he picked Manning with the #1 overall pick. The Colts, minus Manning, might be worse than the Bills. That's how much good QB play matters.