Peter King ranks the Bills

Yeah were not going to win the Superbowl but were not 31st either. F&$# King.

I am as big a bills fan as there is (40 yrs+) and I've seen it all, but it is hard to imagine them as other than a bottom five team this year, with the tough schedule outside the already impossible AFC East games and complete rebuild process going on in every area other than DBackfield. Plus all new coaches and o and d schemes. How anyone conceives of a 6 or 7 win season is a mystery to me. Black magic. Pure fandom (which is fine, BTW). Unless they are completely healthy all season, which never happens, its gonna be a long season. Again.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me a perennial optimist, but I think King is way off.

For all intents and purposes, the Bills have improved from last year. Not much, but incrementally better. Shoot, by just replacing Jauron with someone else they already have won 1-2 more games in my book.

I agree with King, they have no one to throw the football. And unless a WR emerges outside of Evans, there won't be many options for the QB to throw the football to. But, so long as the transition to the 3-4 goes reasonably well, I can't imagine the Bills will have a worse record than last year.

It seems that Gailey is going to try to make this team primarily a running team. If that's the case, AND if it's successful, the Bills won't be so dependent on the passing game. Who knows, Edwards may come back to life under better coaching. Brohm the Unknown may win the job. Johnson, Hardy & Easley may turn out to be better than we think.

Gailey will have them playing solid football this year. Not right out of the gate, perhaps. But by the 2nd half of the season, the Bills will beat some teams that aren't expecting that.

And?

I can remember whole squads of "experts", when the Buffalo Sabres and Carolina Hurricanes came out of the lockout in the NHL, ranking both the Sabres and 'Canes at the bottom of the league.

Funny, but I seem to recall that both teams played for the right to go to the Stanley Cup in the East Finals with the Hurricanes winning the Cup that year. And the Sabres were 1 period away from going.

Or the unexplainable boner the media has for the Miami Dolphins every year. I have a hard time remembering when Miami has ever lived up to any of the hype thrown on them by the members of the media.

I hate these rankings, because they are absolutely meaningless. One of the most used "facts" the media uses when compiling these useless rankings, is strength of schedule. Prior to the season, you will hear this team will have it tougher, or easier- all because of who they are playing. Now, of course they are using last season as the guide, and no team is the same as they were the year before. Then, after the season starts and the dogs reveal themselves to be dogs and the surprises reveal themselves, we see the real win-loss record as it truly is. Unexpected things occur like injuries, player hold outs, and cuts.

Funny thing is, then all of these strength of schedule loons, who based all of their "predictions" at the start of the season, rather than issue an apology for being as wrong as anyone else, then claim that "well, because the schedule of such-and-such team was weaker (or stronger, you choose) THIS year, then that explains everything".

Bottom line, this is all garbage that is not based in any reality, rather somebody's opinion designed to create sizzle to sell magazines.

Don't we all wish we could get paid to rampantly speculate about sports???

I guess in the ultimate fanboy fantasy, yes.

But movie critic and weatherman are also similar and just like football prognosticator you seldom are right but still get to keep your job.

If history is any indicator, we are closer to 21 than 31. However, I'd rather have us finish 2-14 than 6-10. Rock bottom might be a necessary condition for the franchise to turn things around. And that may be what Nix and Gailey were thinking when not adding why a QB or left tackle this season.

How pathetic has it become, we are 21 damit not 31.