Question for military veterans

As of Wednesday I'm recently (happily) single. I'm a casuality of the economy (Bachelor of Science in Business degree cutting grass for a living in Buffalo). I've always been a fan of American military history and have now decided that the military is for me. I'm going to spend the summer getting in shape, getting laid, and in the fall enlist. After much research I've narrowed it down to the Marine Corps (grandfather was a veteran in the pacific in WWII so there's some sentimental shiz), The Air Force, and the Coast Guard. If there are any veterans out there that can give me advice or a better picture of these branches I could really use some more help. Thanks guys.

If you are confident in yourself, join the Marine Corps.

Why play JV if you can make varsity?

Besides now that you are single, getting laid now and again might be nice. The chair farce and coast guard uniforms are guaranteed birth-control.

If you are confident in yourself, join the Marine Corps.

Why play JV if you can make varsity?

Besides now that you are single, getting laid now and again might be nice. The chair farce and coast guard uniforms are guaranteed birth-control.

Probly the best sales pitch I've heard for the Marines. It's so true though they are second to none. I'm assuming you're a Marine, if so out of curiousity what are you doing now (career wise)? When I was 18 I was gun ho infantry. Now that I'm a bit older I'm thinking about life in AND after the military.

Marines are the high men on the totem pole. Hard ass work, but if you are up for it, then do it!

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you it means a lot, for this decision I've got exactly two supporters (out of many) in my personal life. It's one of the reasons that I'm single haha.

Probly the best sales pitch I've heard for the Marines. It's so true though they are second to none. I'm assuming you're a Marine, if so out of curiousity what are you doing now (career wise)? When I was 18 I was gun ho infantry. Now that I'm a bit older I'm thinking about life in AND after the military.

Yes I am a Marine but I took the pack off my shoulders in 2006. As of right now, I own and operate a construction company but I'm trying like hell to get into the Fire Department. I believe I'm fairly close, but I'll knock on wood anyway.

I was infantry and I loved it. My Grandfather was a Marine that made a few stops in the pacific, just like yours. In all honesty, the Marine Corps was the best decision and best time of my life. I just ran into a buddy of mine that was in my unit and we spent 3 hours dissecting how sweet life was. :thumbsup:

Yes I am a Marine but I took the pack off my shoulders in 2006. As of right now, I own and operate a construction company but I'm trying like hell to get into the Fire Department. I believe I'm fairly close, but I'll knock on wood anyway.

I was infantry and I loved it. My Grandfather was a Marine that made a few stops in the pacific, just like yours. In all honesty, the Marine Corps was the best decision and best time of my life. I just ran into a buddy of mine that was in my unit and we spent 3 hours dissecting how sweet life was. :thumbsup:

You're singing my song Sir (Rob Zombie movies included). All of my life I've wanted a job with the flag on my shoulder but on the way got tricked into college. I've never heard of a Marine regret his decision to join.

I hope your construction company is well (can I have a job? :nana: ) and if you're a WNYer I'd love to have a beer with you some time. I'm excited but at the same time scared to death about the next step in my life and welcome all the advice and stories I can get.

As of Wednesday I'm recently (happily) single. I'm a casuality of the economy (Bachelor of Science in Business degree cutting grass for a living in Buffalo). I've always been a fan of American military history and have now decided that the military is for me. I'm going to spend the summer getting in shape, getting laid, and in the fall enlist. After much research I've narrowed it down to the Marine Corps (grandfather was a veteran in the pacific in WWII so there's some sentimental shiz), The Air Force, and the Coast Guard. If there are any veterans out there that can give me advice or a better picture of these branches I could really use some more help. Thanks guys.

100% ignorant question, but if you have Collage degree cannot you join the AF as a Officer and become a pilot?

:thumbsup:100% ignorant question , but if you have Collage degree cannot you join the AF as a Officer and become a pilot?

:thumbsup: Not saying I'm not ignorant about the subject just need well informed advice. Well I'm short enough and have the eye site to be a pilot haha. I've still got big questions, concerns, and thoughts about these three branches...like with the Coast Guard fears of being stuck in your state.

:wallbash: Not saying I'm not ignorant about the subject just need well informed advice, Well I'm short enough and have the eye site to be a pilot haha. I've still got big questions, concerns, and thoughts about these three branches...like with the Coast Guard fears of being stuck in your state.

I choose to ignore the Alaska crack :wallbash: What I was getting at was a friend of my family was hell bent to be a Navy pilot so got a degree in forestry, of all things, and won his dream and became a carrier pilot. Of course he was Lucky and was stationed in places like Texas,which I suspect would be to your liking :thumbsup: By the way I have meet a good number of coast guard people here, and they are thrilled to be "stuck" in Alaska. :nana:

I meant it was a ignorant question by me not you.

I choose to ignore the Alaska crack :wallbash: What I was getting at was a friend of my family was hell bent to be a Navy pilot so got a degree in forestry, of all things, and won his dream and became a carrier pilot. Of course he was Lucky and was stationed in places like Texas,which I suspect would be to your liking :thumbsup: By the way I have meet a good number of coast guard people here, and they are thrilled to be "stuck" in Alaska. :nana:

I'm sorry Jim I'm a few too many Jager Bombs into my Friday night and I'm too used to the shoot down negativity of TBD. Plus I like to take digs at people for fun :wallbash: I'm not familiar with the Navy but there is OCS training that I could get through to become a CO.

My main issue is I've got days where I want to do a certain thing...and others I feel like a diff branch makes sense. I just want to make the right decision because I know several people that have not parlayed their military careers into anything special (under statement).

I'm sorry Jim I'm a few too many Jager Bombs into my Friday night and I'm too used to the shoot down negativity of TBD. Plus I like to take digs at people for fun :thumbsup: I'm not familiar with the Navy but there is OCS training that I could get through to become a CO.

My main issue is I've got days where I want to do a certain thing...and others I feel like a diff branch makes sense. I just want to make the right decision because I know several people that have not parlayed their military careers into anything special (under statement).

Which is why I made the pilot recommendation. Hard to transfer skills with a .50 Browning to civilian job. Just met a gal stationed in Kodiak couple weeks ago, C-17 pilot, tons of heavy hours paid by Uncle Sam. She could get a civilian job in a second.

How old are you? As it stands right now the military is very very picky as to who it accepts. Did you take any ROTC classes in college? Of all the branches you've mentioned the only one you may have a chance with is the USMC. The Navy & Air Force are only accepting high school seniors right now. Those same people have to have scored at least a 50 on their ASVAB. Have you taken the ASVAB?

A few more points Nobes.

1. I'm in Rochester and am always available for a beer.

2. You can travel the world in the Marine Corps. Afterall the Navy is usually your taxi service.

3. You can become a pilot in the Marine Corps. as well.

4. I trained in Alaska and it was easily the nicest place I've ever been.

5. The skill set you will aquire in the Marine Corps. extends far beyond infantry talents. If you present an employer with a qualified resume and top it off with a honorable career in the Marines, you have a leg up on everyone. The notion that you won't gain applicable skills for the real world is flat out wrong. The discipline and leadership traits that you gain will define you and those qualities are a priceless commodity in the civillian world.

All of my life I've wanted a job with the flag on my shoulder but on the way got tricked into college.

Don't be too quick to discount your degree. After you've finished serving, I suspect you'll find the combo of military experience and a degree will suit you well.

Good luck with your decision and if you decide to go through with it --- thanks.

I was in the Navy , advancement is fairly quick in the Navy with your degree you might have a leg up on most . And there are plenty of jobs that you would do in the Navy that can carry over in real life. Plus you will not have to do any land fighting, to me its the safest bet.

But if I wanted to carry a gun I would go for it and be a Marine. But be prepare to go to Iraq or Afganistan right after boot camp, if you are willing to do that God bless you.

:doh: Not saying I'm not ignorant about the subject just need well informed advice. Well I'm short enough and have the eye site to be a pilot haha. I've still got big questions, concerns, and thoughts about these three branches...like with the Coast Guard fears of being stuck in your state.

If you are looking for well informed advice then I suggest you talk with all 4 branches..Army Navy Air Force and Marines...See what each of them can do for you respectfully and then go home and weigh it out within yourself without a recruiter present. When you have come to your decision then go back to whichever office for the branch you choose and get the process started. You cannot just go to an office and sign up. There are ASVAB tests, Physicals and MEPS Processing. Be prepared for this to be a 2 day process after your enlistment kitwork is complete.

PM me if you have any questions. I have been in Recruiting for the last 9 years and can give you up to date info and also serve as a BS filter as well.

Remember that the recruiter is there to help guide you where YOU want to go and make the transition as smooth as possible. Any recruiter trying to rush you too much in todays recruiting enviornment might just be trying to get one over on you!

Steve

100% ignorant question, but if you have Collage degree cannot you join the AF as a Officer and become a pilot?

How do you get a degree in pasting pictures on things?

Anyway, get a map and find these two places:

Afghanistan

Iraq

How old are you? As it stands right now the military is very very picky as to who it accepts. Did you take any ROTC classes in college? Of all the branches you've mentioned the only one you may have a chance with is the USMC. The Navy & Air Force are only accepting high school seniors right now. Those same people have to have scored at least a 50 on their ASVAB. Have you taken the ASVAB?

Ha ha so the Navy only accepts people with a 50 on the ASVAB? A chimp could score a 50 on the ASVAB. As for the OP...want to join? Join the Army.