OT-Who is the best American actress?

ATBNG

I agree that when she's active Meryl Streep is  at the top.  I also agree that Julia Roberts deserves consideration.  One who has not been mentioned is Sigourney Weaver.  She's done comedy (Ghost Busters), sci-fi/horror (Alien) and serious drama (Gorillas in the Mist).

139616[/snapback]

Good one. I also liked her in The Ice Storm. That's a good movie. A bit dark and depressing, but good. On the lighter side, I thought Galaxy Quest was hysterical! She was good in that too.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't come up with a single name that makes me think....BEST American Actress.

However....CATE BLANCHETT is the best actress alive today.

there is no debate.

139627[/snapback]

You know what - I completely forgot about her but wished I had remembered her in the discussion. I've only seen two of her movies (Elizabeth, The Gift) but she was excellent in both (even though The Gift was an atrocious movie, she maintained her dignity). I'm not into LOTR - maybe I should see "Pushing Tin."

I think you may have it OTR....

Good one.  I also liked her in The Ice Storm.  That's a good movie.  A bit dark and depressing, but good.  On the lighter side, I thought Galaxy Quest was hysterical!  She was good in that too.

139619[/snapback]

Wore one of the best push-em-up bras ever in that flick. Coincidentally the camera angles seemed to favor the fleshy results of its work.

My friends and I were talking about this while on vacation last weekend in Montreal. We had a somewhat animated discussion about who the best actor was currently (Ed Norton, Tim Robbins, Robert DeNiro, Bill Murray all were considered) but sadly we couldn't even come up with a plausible woman to be called America's best actress.

Does anyone have any nominations? She doesn't have to be American, but should appear in American movies. Where have all the Rita Hayworths, Katherine Hepburns, and Meryl Streeps gone?

(If you can spare yourself from the obvious Jenna Jameson, etc. posts on this one, I would appreciate it.)

139428[/snapback]

That's a tough question. Julia Roberts is pretty good. Ashely Judd is very good.

Again - the actresses' original heritage should be meaningless, but only that she should appear in movie that are distributed in this country (I hate to say "Hollywood" movies). There may be some wonderful actresses in Europe, South America and Asia that we aren't familiar with.

See - I think Julia Roberts is atrocious as an actress. I didn't see "Erin Brockovich" but everything else I have seen her in (Pelican Brief, Ocean's 11, Pretty Woman, Mystic Pizza) she has been decidedly underwhelming.

If I had to pick an actress from Mystic Pizza, I'd go with Lili Taylor over Julia.

Julianne Moore is fantastic.

My friends and I were talking about this while on vacation last weekend in Montreal. We had a somewhat animated discussion about who the best actor was currently (Ed Norton, Tim Robbins, Robert DeNiro, Bill Murray all were considered) but sadly we couldn't even come up with a plausible woman to be called America's best actress.

Does anyone have any nominations? She doesn't have to be American, but should appear in American movies. Where have all the Rita Hayworths, Katherine Hepburns, and Meryl Streeps gone?

(If you can spare yourself from the obvious Jenna Jameson, etc. posts on this one, I would appreciate it.)

139428[/snapback]

I can't come up with a single name that makes me think....BEST American Actress.

However....CATE BLANCHETT is the best actress alive today.

there is no debate.

139627[/snapback]

I think back to the atrocity known as The Talented Mr Ripley and I think of how great a cast they ASSembled for that 'film' with Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Jude Law (though I just don't get the allure of this guy; he's not all that as an actor). It was Blanchett that did the only credible job of acting in that 'film'. She upgraded it to a D- from the FFFF+ it was.

I think back to the atrocity known as The Talented Mr Ripley and I think of how great a cast they ASSembled for that 'film' with Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Jude Law (though I just don't get the allure of this guy; he's not all that as an actor).  It was Blanchett that did the only credible job of acting in that 'film'.  She upgraded it to a D- from the FFFF+ it was.

139723[/snapback]

:lol::w00t:

That movie was SUCH a disappointment!