San Francisco Inspires Me

Chef Jim

In the short 16 months that I've lived here I've been inspired to make some really cool **** in the kitchen at home. Tonight I made fresh mozzarella. Holy crap is that good. And for the cost of a gallon of milk (I think it was $2.50) I got a pound of cheese. Tomorrow I'll cure some salmon.

In the short 16 months that I've lived here I've been inspired to make some really cool **** in the kitchen at home. Tonight I made fresh mozzarella. Holy crap is that good. And for the cost of a gallon of milk (I think it was $2.50) I got a pound of cheese. Tomorrow I'll cure some salmon.

Know the feeling. Last weekend, made some nice Chicken cacciatore . Not SF but East Bay style

Can you really tell a difference?

Are you kidding?? You can tell the difference just by looking, never mind the difference in taste.

I decided a while ago to eat salmon half as often and pay twice as much for the real thing. Farmed fish = RJ

Farm Salmon :thumbsup: Gotta be, too early to be wild.

The wild season starts in May. I know they were talking about it being a potentially tough season and it is early but I might find some at the farmer's market.

Chef Jim, you've peaked my curiosity about cheese making. I think I'm going to give it a whirl.

Any suggestions on where to buy your supplies? I understand farm fresh (unpasturized) milk is preferred, but I'm not sure I can find any locally here very easily - yet alone the cultures, etc that are required.

Chef Jim, you've peaked my curiosity about cheese making. I think I'm going to give it a whirl.

Any suggestions on where to buy your supplies? I understand farm fresh (unpasturized) milk is preferred, but I'm not sure I can find any locally here very easily - yet alone the cultures, etc that are required.

It's not legel to sell in most[all?] states.

I'm not so sure about that. I think you can get it directly from the farm, which in my case is like saying the moon.

Not sure about other states but in Alaska you have to buy a "share" in a cow. The farmer can only sell to you and other"shareholders". And the state was still fighting it.

Pasteurized is fine, ultra-pasteurized is not. Here are some sites I found. And BTW it's really easy, at least the basic cheeses are.

http://www.thegrape.net/index.htm

http://www.leeners.com/cheese.html

The wild season starts in May. I know they were talking about it being a potentially tough season and it is early but I might find some at the farmer's market.

Copper river is the first run of Kings, due any day and they had a decent run last year. Considered the best because of their high fat content[it's a long hard run up the Copper to the spawning grounds], but stay away from the very first fish. They are like a status fish in Seattle to be the first to get and early on get $40 a lb.

Copper river is the first run of Kings, due any day and they had a decent run last year. Considered the best because of their high fat content[it's a long hard run up the Copper to the spawning grounds], but stay away from the very first fish. They are like a status fish in Seattle to be the first to get and early on get $40 a lb.

Damn, really? I assume you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to fish there.

Damn, really? I assume you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to fish there.

Commercially, there is some red tape, but no worse then any other any Commercial fishery. People in Seattle having a obsession with being the first on the block to barbecue a Copper river king is what drives up the price. The buyers send out helicopters right to the boat to be able to get them first to market. Give it two weeks and fish from the same river might be $8 a lb. Or you could be like me and drive over and net them for the cost of a $10 tag :thumbsup:

Commercially, there is some red tape, but no worse then any other any Commercial fishery. People in Seattle having a obsession with being the first on the block to barbecue a Copper river king is what drives up the price. The buyers send out helicopters right to the boat to be able to get them first to market. Give it two weeks and fish from the same river might be $8 a lb. Or you could be like me and drive over and net them for the cost of a $10 tag :thumbsup:

That would be a cool ass fishing trip. :)

Yeah used to go every year. Quit when gas went over $3 a gal [200 mile one way trip] What was neat about it it is a subsistence fishery not sport- no rod and reel, just scoop em out off the water with a long handled net.

My son would love that actually. He sucks at fishing, so food for thought.