Larry King

OGTEleven

I rarely watch TV talk shows at night (not even Fox :lol: ). Last night I was flipping and ended up watching Larry King.

He had an 18 wrestler on. The kid was born without the lower halves of his arms or legs. His story was incredible and his attitude was even better. Also, he was clearly comfortable in front of a camera in a way well beyong the average 18yo.

Larry King was astoundingly awful. I started mondering if he was drunk. His questions were:

Do you ever ask why me?

Are you ever angry about your situation?

Are you jealous of others?

Do you ever wonder what if......?

Isn't it hard?

Do you ever feel like giving up?

After a half hour of this, the kids parents came on (remote) and Larry asked them:

Wasn't it hard?

Did you ever ask why me?

Did you ever feel like giving up?

It was truly amazing. It looked like he had no preparation at all. Is he always like this?

The kid that was on was the only reason I kept watching.

1 - He was woefully unprepared b/c this was a truly last-minute substitution (then again, it takes some prep time to actually fly the family to the studio).

2 - He'd been hitting the sauce, or his latest 20-something wife, prior to putting his suspenders on.

3 - He was fishing for the reaction that he wanted. And bear in mind, readers, that as stated he is a talk show host, not a journalist (membership to the fourth estate is claimed by a lot of people).

4 - He was really trying, but he's that washed up.

5 - Half of the battle is having an interesting guest. It sure doesn't sound like this was the problem.

My bet's on 3.

The best bona fide interviewer I've seen lately is Charlie Rose on PBS & 60 Minutes. He does a good job of fleshing out facts and interesting details, and letting the subject speak and direct where it goes rather than it being pre-fab to some kind of destination the interviewer wants.

I rarely watch TV talk shows at night (not even Fox  :lol:  ).  Last night I was flipping and ended up watching Larry King. 

He had an 18 wrestler on.  The kid was born without the lower halves of his arms or legs.  His story was incredible and his attitude was even better.  Also, he was clearly comfortable in front of a camera in a way well beyong the average 18yo.

Larry King was astoundingly awful.  I started mondering if he was drunk.  His questions were:

Do you ever ask why me?

Are you ever angry about your situation?

Are you jealous of others?

Do you ever wonder what if......?

Isn't it hard?

Do you ever feel like giving up?

After a half hour of this, the kids parents came on (remote) and Larry asked them:

Wasn't it hard?

Did you ever ask why me?

Did you ever feel like giving up?

It was truly amazing.  It looked like he had no preparation at all.  Is he always like this? 

139332[/snapback]

I read about that kid not too long ago in the Rochester newpaper (D&C). His girlfriend is from Penfield or close by. Neat story.

It was truly amazing.  It looked like he had no preparation at all.  Is he always like this? 

139332[/snapback]

That is part of it. He's intentionally unprepared and ends up asking questions that everyone would ask when they meet the guest. I guess that's part of his popularity.