Kevin Mawae

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah...I always forget, fans should always be concerned, first and foremost, with how much money Ralph saves! :w00t:

This is a sentiment I see way too often here...too many Bills fans have become more concerned with how the Bills bean counters perform, than how the team competes on the field...see the thread about "stubborn fans"! Who cares about how much money he costs, if it helps the team get better? The Bills are not close to the salary cap limit...

Ever hear of a budget? People in the real world (Ralph included) don't have unlimited funds and have to make decisions about where money is best spent. On this team, is it wise to pay an aging C if you're going through a youth rebuilding project that won't be complete for a year or two (and you believe the guy on your roster is not a HUGE step down)?

Please. I couldn't care less about saving Ralph money, but I understand cost/benefit analysis.

Buddy Nix quote after the draft:

"Our philosophy is to build through the draft and I’ve said that from day one and that’s what we’re trying to do is build a good foundation of solid kids and good solid players, now that’s not to say, and I think we did that, that we won’t bring in free agents to fill some spots that fit. (We’re) not trying to make a splash and thinking we are one player away from winning the Super bowl or whatever some of these teams think, but we want to build through the draft, that’s the reason we don’t trade draft picks much, you won’t see us (do that). If we’ve got nine we’d like to use those nine, the only thing that we would like to do, if we can, is add some."

"Our philosophy is to build through the draft and I’ve said that from day one and that’s what we’re trying to do is build a good foundation of solid kids and good solid players, now that’s not to say, and I think we did that, that we won’t bring in free agents to fill some spots that fit. (We’re) not trying to make a splash and thinking we are one player away from winning the Super bowl or whatever some of these teams think, but we want to build through the draft, that’s the reason we don’t trade draft picks much, you won’t see us (do that). If we’ve got nine we’d like to use those nine, the only thing that we would like to do, if we can, is add some."

What he should have added: "Having said that, if we can bring in a free agent or two that will upgrade us, we will certainly do that. We should never be satisfied with what we have and should always be looking to add leadership and players with intangibles to improve our football team. We hope this will prove true with players like Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis and any other FAs we pursue."

Bringing in Mawae isn't necessarily a no-brainer, but it isn't a ridiculous proposition by any stretch.

The Bills are still thin on the O-line, and Wood may not be 100%. If Mawae isn't demanding big money, he could add some much needed depth, as well as flexibility on the line. Wood and Hangartner can both play G and C. Levitre has proven he can effectively swing out to the T position if needed (Insert multiple scenario options).

Mawae not only provides strong veteran experience for the young guys to learn from by paying along side of him, he adds short term improvement, and insurance. If a couple of guys go down, I'd hate to see a repeat of last year.

Hangartner right now is better than Mawae right now? Didn't look that way to me.

Why can't one of the best in the league come in for a year and teach Wood how to play? We don't have one decent, experienced O-lineman who can tutor this shaky group. Why should it be this way?

Dump Hangartner.

According to profootballfocus, Hangartner was better because Mawae was one of the worst last year.

The reason that Mawae was no longer with the Jets is because he gets man handled by the big nose tackles in the 34s any more, and that was a few years ago before he tore his triceps. In his final season Wilfork was blowing him up bad. Getting him now would not be an improvement over Hangartner. Why get a second player that struggles with the big NTs? Mawae exists in name only these days.

8-time probowler, proven guy at a position we desperately need. Does this make sense to anyone else?

It is pretty clear that Nix and company are about developing players that will mature at the same time. The Bills are rebuilding. It's not about winning this season it is about developing a solid core of players that can win in the playoffs in 2-4 years.

That is core as in core not core as in corps.

"we're not trying to make a splash?" Hmmm...that's the spirit. Are we getting discounts on the "not making a splash years" to follow?