Smoking Ban at the Ralph?

yall

An overweight person is harming themselves, not me. A tall person doesn't do any harm to anyone. A smoker blowing smoke in my face is affecting my enjoyment of the game and making me inhale cancerous, disgusting-smelling smoke. If it affects my health, keep it away from me.

I was being sarcastic and exaggerating to prove a point. There is all this discrimination against smokers - not singling you out bbills17- but that was in reply to posts like smokers should have no rights, and smokers are less intelligent than non smokers, etc.

Are there honestly people "blowing smoke in [your] face?" If there are, I feel bad since I wouldn't like that either. But what I was getting at is that at the Ralph there are designated areas for smoking which are easily avoidable, so I don't see what the fuss is all about. I won't debate whether or not smoking is disgusting and how unhealthy it is for everyone around, but this thread has seemed to evolve into such an argument.

What I think a lot of you who are in favor of banning smoking at the Ralph altogether are forgetting, is that that will only encourage smoking in the stands. At least now, I get the sense most smokers make use of the designated areas, and thus aren't blowing smoke in anyone's face unless they choose to be there. I'm a season ticket holder and though I do occasionally catch a whiff of second hand smoke while in the stands, I don't get angry about it since I'm there to have a good time, and that's not going to ruin it. The on-field product, well, that's another story.

Now as far as venting about smokers in general, fine, I hear all of you, but life isn't fair and I guess you can just take solace in the fact that, "OMG I just had to breathe stinky carcinogenic smoke for two seconds, but that smoker will probably die an unpleasant death due to a lifelong habit."

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the "something I like" has been scientifically proven to harm both myself and others, how can I argue?

Particularly at outdoor venues, that is sometimes impossible or impractical. And what if I and my family/friends were there first?

John, I respect your sportswriting, but that's a pretty ridiculous statement. Smokers want to "prove a point" to non-smokers by forcing us to inhale the stuff when we enter or exit a building?

This was your best point of the post.

look at it this way. i have to put up with a lot of baloney, too, that bugs me, raising my stress level to near nuclear proportions that will likely lead to my demise. and of course i'm talking about such things that others find popular, such as American Idol, the great entitlement people seem to get living in the cul de sac suburbs and, of course, the band nickleback.

and yet, all of these things aren't unlawful and part of the popular landscape of dumbed down common denominatorism.

the fact that i'm vehemently against all of these things -- plus a few more -- and they might cause my ultimate demise, i merely put up with them because i really have no other option. it's a free country. and yet, the fact that they are all out there haunting me, they will, in some heinous combination, conspire to one day make my head explode.

i will take that risk for the common good and will do my best to avoid watching American Idol, not living in the cul de sac suburbs and walking out of any public facility or private business that happens to be playing the banal and evil creed.

as a law-abiding smoker, i put up with all the rules and the evil looks and silly comments like, "heh, might be time to quit," or "hey, that's bad for you." yeah, "watch it crossing the street, too, buster."

i will not be treated as some leper for doing something legal. and i am tired of being relegated as a second-class citizen.

and i vow to quit once they remove all creed songs from the radio, muzak systems, the internet and everywhere else where that crap has insidiously infiltrated itself. and that is a promise (and one hell of a good rant).

jw

ADD: just got back from a smoke break and realized that i started with nickleback and then ended with creed. they're two god-awful bands that are easy to mix up. and my hope is that we be rid of both of them.

rob johnson over doug flutie....cigarette

the bills organization giving the fans the choice of flutie or johnson instead of a true long term QB solution.....how many cigs for that?

lindell misses a 23 yard field goal in week 17 against the steelers....cigarette

the resulting Mike Nugent mania, where a kicker became the cure to all of the Bills' ailments....cig count?

bills go 6 rounds of the 2010 draft without addressing any real needs......3 cigarettes

hmm...a NT and a DE for a 3-4 for a team that had no NT and only a couple true solutions @ DE for the scheme is not a "real need"....that's gotte be worth @ least a pack, right?

Agreed. Which is why DWI laws are fine. However, a business ought to be able to post a big sign...Smoking Allowed or Smoking Not Allowed. Those who enter, enter at their own risk. Keeps all second-hand smoke away from those who do not want to breathe it and all without an intrusive government.

I would agree with that. But then some would argue "what about the poor workers subjected to that vile carcinogen against their will". I know I know, "don't work there". But ultimately I believe the desire by society at large is to make it so inconvenient and expensive to smoke that fewer kids start. Then when the current addicts die off and the number of active smokers is small enough to be manageable, they will make it illegal outright.

look at it this way. i have to put up with a lot of baloney, too, that bugs me, raising my stress level to near nuclear proportions that will likely lead to my demise. and of course i'm talking about such things that others find popular, such as American Idol, the great entitlement people seem to get living in the cul de sac suburbs and, of course, the band nickleback.

and yet, all of these things aren't unlawful and part of the popular landscape of dumbed down common denominatorism.

the fact that i'm vehemently against all of these things -- plus a few more -- and they might cause my ultimate demise, i merely put up with them because i really have no other option. it's a free country. and yet, the fact that they are all out there haunting me, they will, in some heinous combination, conspire to one day make my head explode.

i will take that risk for the common good and will do my best to avoid watching American Idol, not living in the cul de sac suburbs and walking out of any public facility or private business that happens to be playing the banal and evil creed.

as a law-abiding smoker, i put up with all the rules and the evil looks and silly comments like, "heh, might be time to quit," or "hey, that's bad for you." yeah, "watch it crossing the street, too, buster."

i will not be treated as some leper for doing something legal. and i am tired of being relegated as a second-class citizen.

and i vow to quit once they remove all creed songs from the radio, muzak systems, the internet and everywhere else where that crap has insidiously infiltrated itself. and that is a promise (and one hell of a good rant).

jw

ADD: just got back from a smoke break and realized that i started with nickleback and then ended with creed. they're two god-awful bands that are easy to mix up. and my hope is that we be rid of both of them.

jw, you have been reading too many crayonz posts, you should take a break. (not a TG break, but a break). I am concerned.

John, your rant made me chuckle, but I pulled out this one statement for comment.

As time passes, the wonderful world of science and medicine opens our eyes to many things our predecessors blissfully ignored. The bottom line is this -- smoking kills. That's not an opinion, it's scientific fact. It's only still legal because of the $$$ it generates. Smokers are a drain on the health system. Second hand smoke is harmful. Smokers litter and think nothing of it. Tell me -- what are the redeeming qualities of smoking and being a smoker? Is there even ONE?

Trust me, I'm not afraid to state this opinion to anyone who smokes. It's not an "internet argument." I don't think anyone can defend the practice, and most people I know who do smoke agree with every word -- they're just hooked. And that's why I pity them.

wow a lot of anti-smoking bills fans on here......

its weird cuz the bills were the reason i starting smoking cigarettes...

i had a cigarette after wide right and i was only 5 years old

homerun throw back....cigarette

rob johnson over doug flutie....cigarette

lindell misses a 23 yard field goal in week 17 against the steelers....cigarette

leodis fumbles.....cigarette

bills lose to the brown 6-3......2 cigarettes

bills go 6 rounds of the 2010 draft without addressing any real needs......3 cigarettes

see yall outside the stadium opening day! well thats if i survive that long......

The 2009/10 off season from the Hiring of a second rate coaching staff and front office, the ignoring of quality free agents to ignoring the most pressing team needs in the draft have taken me from a non-smoker to smoking those Camels with no filter on them. Before this offseason, I only used to smoke after sex, now I just throw some cold water down there and the smoke goes away.

John, your rant made me chuckle, but I pulled out this one statement for comment.

As time passes, the wonderful world of science and medicine opens our eyes to many things our predecessors blissfully ignored. The bottom line is this -- smoking kills. That's not an opinion, it's scientific fact. It's only still legal because of the $$$ it generates. Smokers are a drain on the health system. Second hand smoke is harmful. Smokers litter and think nothing of it. Tell me -- what are the redeeming qualities of smoking and being a smoker? Is there even ONE?

Trust me, I'm not afraid to state this opinion to anyone who smokes. It's not an "internet argument." I don't think anyone can defend the practice, and most people I know who do smoke agree with every word -- they're just hooked. And that's why I pity them.

You're all gonna die!!!! >>>> Even you fragile lillys who think you will somehow faint if you cross paths with a tiny puff of smoke. I guess you lightweights never bother to go camping huh? Tell me how you smell when you come back from a camping trip???? Ever visit a rest home? You'll be running for a pack of smokes after you leave....I have a 98 year old grandmother who can't hear, can't communicate, and ***** in a diaper. She took great care of herself, yet this is her reward at the end of life? When each of you do eventually die, I can promise you that it is almost never pretty. You are kidding yourself if you think that most people go quietly and peacefully...it rarely works that way. Enjoy the time you have. Go camping with your kids, light up a big stogie, and stop crying about what other people do with their time. Wimps. :lol:

If you think SS and the health system are going into the toilet already, ban all cigarettes and see what happens. Fact is, we pay huge taxes and happen to go meet our Maker quick. Smokers pay plenty for their pleasures. This crap about it being a "cost" to society is just that. Look it up.

Don't pity me. I wish more people smoked. It has its' calming effects - we used to go outside, share a smoke and diffuse differences. Now we have road rage and workplace murder. etc.

Go ahead and push for making them illegal, if you dare - and suffer your increased taxation, now born by those you dislike. Do you like beef? Fries? They are legal product, but we all read about the health effects. No more beef for you, no more fries - it can cause a cost to society. Your personal ox will be gored sooner or later.

Right?

I would agree with that. But then some would argue "what about the poor workers subjected to that vile carcinogen against their will". I know I know, "don't work there". But ultimately I believe the desire by society at large is to make it so inconvenient and expensive to smoke that fewer kids start. Then when the current addicts die off and the number of active smokers is small enough to be manageable, they will make it illegal outright.

The tax revenue will keep it legal and permit the lagalization of marijuana and likely other drugs such as mushrooms within the next decade.

On the first bolded statement above, you are wrong. Smokers are not a drain on the health system at all. Lung cancer kills very quickly. Frighteningly quickly as a matter of fact.

Which segues nicely into my next point (and answering your question above)...smoking saves YOU (eball and DarthIce)money. Not only do smokers die quickly, and thus not consume their "fair share" of precious health care resources later in life for diseases such as heart problem and alzheimers, most also pay an inordinate amount of taxes. These taxes, in part, have permitted the entitlement state to explode...creating make good government jobs that rarely lead to anything productive, but all have gold plated pensions and benefits. You really don't think these jobs/benefits/pensions will be cut significantly if government revenue from tobacco products ever dries up do you? No, your taxes will be raised porportionally to make up the difference.

So, YOU (eball and DarthIce) should hug a smoker today. Thank them for keeping your taxes low and dying quickly, so there will be more health care resources for you. Hell, buy them a scotch if you'd like, just to be neighborly and show your appreciation.

see, and that's the thing about being a free-thinking individual living in a free society, whether it be here in the U.S. or in my native Canada. i'm allowed to do anything that is legal.

to your point on the health system, well, given that the baby-boomers are growing old, they might be a much larger drain than anything else in years to come, and i don't think anyone's proposing a mass cull at this point yet.

and i will not be moralized to or tut-tutted. that might be the worst thing you can do to someone with the non-conformist gene.

it was the comedian dennis miller, i think, who said a long time ago that government can outlaw everything that is fun and enjoyable and somewhat unsafe, and yet people will still find a way to get their kicks, even it means spinning themselves around endless in the front yard until they become dizzy.

that is the way humans are wired.

this might rub you the wrong way, but my outlook towards living is that life will one day get you killed, and i plan to suck and drink and consume as much out of it as i can before i go, whenever that might be. and i don't plan to take the safe way out because (and this is the second time i've used this quote this week), as The Who once put it, "i hope i die before i get old." and, though Pete might not have realized this when he first penned that line, old can be a state of mind.

with respect,

jw

EXPLANATORY NOTE: by consume, i meant eating. having the occassional meal that's lathered in butter or topped with a mound of bacon, or a bag of fries from the chip wagon across the river in fort erie.

People have been saying that for several decades.

True. But the difference this time is that the States are bankrupt and need any penny of revenue they can get. Budget gimmicks only go so far. California introduced a bill in its legislature to permit full legalization of marijuana. The Federal government has already stated that it will not take any enforcement action against sellers of medical marijuana.

There is no fundamental difference right now between California and Greece, excpet California's economy is approximately 10x as large as Greece. When Greece (and other nations) joined the EU and relinquished the power to manage interest rates and print their own currency, they effectively became like US states. Greece is burdened by gold plated pensions, high taxes and make good work. So is California. When California feel the budget crunch (next year) you will see full legalization and taxation of marijuana.

That is why there is no way tobacco, a huge source of tax revenue for the states, will ever be banned.

Smoke all you want, don't blow it in my face or offer it to my kids and I'm cool. You have the right to smoke and I have the right not to.

Wierd, I have never seen random smokers run up to the man on the street and give 'em a blast of smoke to the face. Ever. :lol:

Smoke all you want, don't blow it in my face or offer it to my kids and I'm cool. You have the right to smoke and I have the right not to.

Most decent folks would never ever think of doing something like that. In fact, most smokers I know go out of their way to find places where you are permitted to smoke in order to have a cigarette.