BROHM vs. Trentative

while i enjoyed watching this, when it was over i thought of two things-

1. i wish trent was simply consistent (and confident, if that's what affects his consistency). He has some talent, and it's not as if the times he was successful were purely due to luck.

2. by no means do i wish to say that trent is the answer, and i want whomever is going to put us in the best position to win (even if it's fitz *barfs*), but I am really interested to see what chan and co. and get out of trent.

I know there are a ton of posters who will say "trent had his chances and we know what we'll get out of him." but what we don't know is if trent can succeed in an entirely new offense. Since we (and the bills) know what they'll get out of trent, how can we as observers know that what trent offers is or isn't good enough for chan?

i don't think that trent will ever be a pro bowl caliber QB, but for everyone out there saying he flat out sucks i think it's more accurate to say trent isn't very good and neither was the oline, scheme, and play calling, so as a whole the offense sucked.

maybe as a whole the offense can be successful despite not having a good QB, no matter who it is back there.

and maybe brohm will throw for 4000 yds on the way to the superbowl. go bills!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys have it all wrong.

Trentative #1

Fitz #2

Brohm #3 (with a chance to be #2)

Brown ( Practice Squad ) until Trent or Fitz is gone.

Possible scenario is:

Brown might not be on the Practice Squad because there is a chance he would not clear waivers. For that reason one of the QBs from last year will be cut and Brown will be #3.

Either Edwards of Fitzpatrick gets cut. IMO it's Trent because he's fried. A lost cause.

PTR

I know some folks get great pleasure out of arguing for the cut of pro football players who are clearly paid more than they deserve (given that no pro-athlete really deserves any pay for playing a boys game when folks who really deserve any compensation they get like policemen, firemen, policeman and good schoolteachers).

However, it seems pretty clear to me that it would be pretty silly for the Bills to cut any of the 3 vet QBs on their roster today as none of them have shown enough production to deserve to be anointed the definite starter. In addition, while all three have serious shortcomings, none of them demands a level of pay which cause any serious constraints on the salary cap for the team,

By far the logical course for the team would seem to be:

1. All three players come into the voluntary practices with a real shot at winning the starting job. Levi Brown almost certainly is gonna make the team on the practice squad, which will mean he is gonna be cut and then resigned, but no other team is gonna take Brown from the PS as by rule this team would then have to give him a roster spot.

2. The three players will compete first to win the confidence of the coaching staff in practices when they start in earnest and the three players will be assigned PT in the pre-season games based on how well they perform in practice.

3. Like you, my guess is that Edwards is gonna be the loser in this competition, but not because he is less skilled. I for one was quite impressed with Edwards early play in his career as he demonstrated to me he is a very accurate passer, he runs far better than I thought he would, and he demonstrated to me he is a gutsy player who is willing to stand in there in the face of a rush and throw the ball at the last minute before he gets creamed.

However, the Bills O and play design and calling were so bad that:

A. The pass routes were not well designed making use of slants and as close to illegal picks as we got away with to help the speedy WRs get separation,

B. The overall plays were also not well-designed such that we played off the tremendous outside speed threat offered by Evans, the big play threat offered by TO, the speed and open field running ability demonstrated on PRs by Parrish, and the great potential as receivers demonstrated in college by both Lynch and Jackson as a pro.

I can see why you have labeled Edwards as Trentative as he simply proved not to be effective once other teams had enough tape to catch on to the Bills likely play calls and Edwards strengths and weaknesses. However, he did experience an impressive amount of success early on in each season he player because even if you want to bad mouth my sense is he is actually a pretty good player.

However, he is not good enough that he can be productive without at least adequate play design and good play calls. The Bills fired Schoenert and newby AVP showed occasional but inconsistent flashes of adequacy. Even worse for TE in the long run is that having lost PT 3 times to differing injuries in in 2 straight years he meets my objective criteria of being injury prone and one would be foolish to count on him starting without a clear cut plan B,

I do not have enough confidence in either Fitzy or Brohm that I am quite happy to cut a vet who has proven he can win several games at QB in the NFL.

Are you so enthused with either Fitzy or Brohm that you are willing to declare one of them the next Jim Kelly and all you need is a plan B that can credibly lead the team for 3 games as Frank Reich did.

I keep Edwards on this team rather than cut him not because I believe in him (I do not). I keep him because I simply do not believe in Fitzy or Brohm yet either. His third rounder salary rate is small as far as I think the Bills are concerned so you keep him as well.

Marv was right that if a team has two starters it has no starter at QB. However, this team pretty clearly has no starter at QB because it has no starter. i doubt Edwards is the answer, but I am more than willing to let this be decided on the field of play or by professional watching practice than by some willy nilly declaration by the media (Sully and WGR have done Coach Dickerson like damage to this team because they seem to listen to them) or even us wild-eyed fans on 2BD.

Guest dog14787
Have I told you lately that I don't like Trent Edwards? :sick:

You get my vote for the sweetest TE basher out there. :rolleyes:

Possible scenario is:

Brown might not be on the Practice Squad because there is a chance he would not clear waivers. For that reason one of the QBs from last year will be cut and Brown will be #3.

My understanding (and thank you for siting the NFC rule which actually governs this) is that if the Bills cut Brown he is a free agent who can sign anywhere, but there is a clear question as to why he would want to do this.

1. The Bills braintrust clearly targeted him with a goal of him contributing to this team as soon as possible. They out their resources where their brain was by drafting him rather than trying to sign him as a UDFA. Brown could certainly sign elsewhere, but just because he has this right he would be foolish to exercise it as likely his new team also sends him to their PS and they did not want him enough to draft him as the Bills did.

2. His chances of making the Bills eventually (and possibly sooner rather than later) are quite possible due to our QB situation). Theoretically there is some better chance for him elsewhere but it is very unlikely and if there is simply name them Anywhere he goes he is at best a disaster QB who never plays unless of a unpredictable convergence of injuries.

3. Once he is not picked up as an FA, the Bills sign him to the PS and it becomes even more impossible for another team to sign him as he would guaranteed a roster slot.

I see virtually no possibility where Brown ends up anywhere else than our PS.

For the first time in as long as I can remember there is not a favorite QB going into camp. All 4 QBs are going in with a shot to start. Here's my prediction on the finish:

#1) Brohm

#2) Fitzpatrick (only because of experience)

#3) Brown (only because he's a rookie...he's better than Fitz)

cut - Edwards.

PTR

a lot +1s on this idea....why??

how is brohm automatically the starter????

totally disagree with your post ptr and everyone who agreed with you.

my prediction is they will continue with their last starter: fitz started vs colts. had a win. threw 3 tds. followed by trent. brown and brown will fight for #3.

let me first explain why brohm is the best way to go on this roster....he indeed had a bad first preseaon due to confidence....what you people dont realize is that in his second preseason his production increased significantly....im not sayin hes the next kelly but i am saying that he has improved as well as him having all the tools to succeed in the NFL he should be a decent qb....the packers didnt care that he may have gotten better because they already had rodgers and that in itself would let them look over that fact.... brohm will gain confidence on our team sinvce there is no real starter and i billieve that he will win the job easily

my prediction is they will continue with their last starter: fitz started vs colts. had a win. threw 3 tds. followed by trent. brown and brown will fight for #3.

wait... WHAT????? did you not notice that the colts didnt care about that game one bit and neither did the rest of the nfl? all it proved was that we're better than what seemed to be the worst backups in the league of one of the worst run defenses in the league... yes they went to the superbowl, but not one of the players that we played against in the second half of that game played at all that season. it was worse than a preseason game other than the fact we won.

I'll be fine if either trent or brohm start this year. I think fitz would be valuable to keep as a backup, but I dont want to see brown go for the future yet. maybe he'll clear waivers just like brohm did (does anyone pick up a qb off waivers at the very start of the season?)

wait... WHAT????? did you not notice that the colts didnt care about that game one bit and neither did the rest of the nfl? all it proved was that we're better than what seemed to be the worst backups in the league of one of the worst run defenses in the league...

I hear ya on this. However, Fitz made the throws. He LED the team to win. It was in a blizzard and he still performed extremely well. Haven't we been calling for a guy who can play in December/January? Does anyone honestly think that we would have won that game if Trent starts? I don't think Fitz is very good, but he's the best we got. How about we go with the guy who is the best right now instead of always looking 2 or 3 years down the line?

When you have 2 QBs who get significant playing time in one season, and one guy gets better performance out of the team AND MORE WINS, he's the best QB of the two. Regardless of quick release, or right height, or upside, or intelligence, etc.

Trent's either the starter or he's out. he's on the last year of his contract. If he's not good enough to the be the man now, we're not going to re sign him anyway.

Trent's either the starter or he's out. he's on the last year of his contract. If he's not good enough to the be the man now, we're not going to re sign him anyway.

and I can hear you on this one, but to say that fitz will be starter just doesnt sit right. Sure, he had some good throws and games (see: 97 yards to owens, miami) but he really doesn't have the skills. The heart and mind yes, but he seemed incredibly inaccurate to me.

If Edwards doesn't start, then Brohm will and Fitz will be kept as the backup with Brown in the #3 spot. If TE is starter, then I really dont know who will be cut. I think Fitz should be kept as a backup, but to ditch either Brohm or Brown doesnt seem right.

But, I guess in Chan we must trust

First of all let me say this...most of you believe that trent will start next year over brohm for whatever reason and I dont believe you know what you all are talking about..just because brohm was picked up for nothing people believe he is garbage and will never start in this league....ONE major reason he will/should start next season is that even in his one and only start HE ACTUALLY TARGETS HIS RECIEVERS!! if you could go back to the one game he started, you can tell he threw to his recievers on numerous occasions, I remember Lee had at least 4 receptions...how many passes would trent through to all of them per game, 3 4 times???? Owens reception streaked was broken because trent has no idea whats going on.......hes a complete bum and even if brohm isnt that much better he should be the one to start next season regardless

Ok, so you like Brohm based on basically nothing. And dislike Trent because you are blaming bad offensive play completely on him. Ok.