WHat if...??? (2007 remix)

Soulfly3

ok.. after reading these loads of negative posts, i got to thinking. im fairly positive when it comes to the bills, or any sports team I like.. every team makes mistakes... some more than others... some have to 'reach' to make progress, which it seems the bills have done there fair share of...

so... here's what im getting at. in 2007 (i believe was the year) we drafted Beast Mode. I recall, clear as day, the Bills were heavily expected (much to my delight) to move up the draft board to grab none other than a man we now know as "All Day" Adrian Peterson... well, as we know, we didnt... we let one of the most explosive (and yet, fumble prone) RBs of the last many decades slip away....

with the potential of CJ Spiller to replicate and perhaps even surpass what AP has done, why wouldnt we go for it?

Ill tell you this... Id rather take my chances on a heisman candidate, explosive playmaker over a pair of QBs that slipped down the draft charts faster than a stripper down a greased pole.

While I look back at 2007s draft and think "man, I wish...", I can now honestly say "man, im glad we did it in 2010"

sorry for kicking it back to '07, but I love me the RB position... and Im glad we got ourselves a potential "All Day" in the making.

Peterson runs a 4.4 at 220 pounds. Spiller is a tick faster but weighs 195.

Minnesota did nothing with Peterson in the playoffs until Favre came along. Buffalo's QB situation is unsettled going into camp.

Minnesota has invested a lot of resources into their OT's (McKinnie and Loadholt) while signing G Steve Hutchinson. BUF has Cornell Green and Demetrius Bell as probable starters at OT and hopes Eric Wood returns to pair with Levitre.

Minnesota has good receiving threats to keep opposing defenses honest like Sidney Rice and Bernard Berrian. BUF has Lee Evans and little else.

Spiller has yet to play a down, but he's not going to get 20 touches a game. Chances are, he'll play a role more like Percy Harvin in Buffalo's offense.

I recall, clear as day, the Bills were heavily expected (much to my delight) to move up the draft board to grab none other than a man we now know as "All Day" Adrian Peterson

I'm not doubting you, but I seriously don't remember that at all.

Agreed. The Bills were never expected to move up to grab AP. It was a foregone conclusion he would be taken in the top 10, and the Bills would have to settle for plan B (Marshawn) to fill the void after the McGahee trade.

I do... I remember some experts discussing the possibility... I was hoping and praying for it....

Im sure I was blinded by my own wants, but there was some hub-bub about it, I do remember this for sure.

Agreed. The Bills were never expected to move up to grab AP. It was a foregone conclusion he would be taken in the top 10, and the Bills would have to settle for plan B (Marshawn) to fill the void after the McGahee trade.

the bills picked 12, to Minnys 7... not a massive jump... especially considering you WANTED and NEEDED a RB, and there was no comparing Marshawn to AP even then...

the Bills wanted him, badly... lets not think otherwise... we'd be silly to.

now whether or not what they had to give up was too 'big' at that moment in time was another case... but the reports, here in Canada at least, were discussing Bills trading up for AP

ok.. after reading these loads of negative posts, i got to thinking. im fairly positive when it comes to the bills, or any sports team I like.. every team makes mistakes... some more than others... some have to 'reach' to make progress, which it seems the bills have done there fair share of...

so... here's what im getting at. in 2007 (i believe was the year) we drafted Beast Mode. I recall, clear as day, the Bills were heavily expected (much to my delight) to move up the draft board to grab none other than a man we now know as "All Day" Adrian Peterson... well, as we know, we didnt... we let one of the most explosive (and yet, fumble prone) RBs of the last many decades slip away....

with the potential of CJ Spiller to replicate and perhaps even surpass what AP has done, why wouldnt we go for it?

Ill tell you this... Id rather take my chances on a heisman candidate, explosive playmaker over a pair of QBs that slipped down the draft charts faster than a stripper down a greased pole.

While I look back at 2007s draft and think "man, I wish...", I can now honestly say "man, im glad we did it in 2010"

sorry for kicking it back to '07, but I love me the RB position... and Im glad we got ourselves a potential "All Day" in the making.

Great post dude. Unfortunately AP's fumbles cost the Vikings their Super Bowl appearance. CJ will be our LT.

I remember everyone wanting Patrick Willis.....

Yeah. Not sure where soulfly gets that. AP wasn't really that heavily discussed. It was all Patrick Willis all the time for the last few weeks leading up to the draft. Instead they followed up the Whitner/McCargo combo from the year before with Marshawn Lynch. They had a plan, and it was apparently to draft guys in the first round that they wouldn't have to think twice about not re-signing when their contracts were up. Fiscally sound.

AD is most overrated in the league next to Tom Brady of course! I love how back up players like Chester Taylor and Matt Cassel are put in the same system and put up numbers that are only slightly lower (mainly due to less rush/pass attempts) than these "amazing" players :lol:

Remember all those Bills games where Brady would throw to a wr who was in the "perfect" spot to get open against our defensive sceme and his numbers were off the charts? Well it's funny how his numbers are not so high after they do not have the tapes on all our defensive plays isnt it?

And seriously i had AD on my fantasy team this year and his ypc wasn't that great and 14 of his "incredible" 18 TD's were of 5 yards or less (mostly 1 yarders too). And i watched his games, the wholes are pretty damn big (3 pro bowl lineman on the vikes) and his 1 yard touchdowns are barely anything that any other rb couldn't do.

I sayin this because i do not want spiller to be an AD because AD cant do f*ck without his oline and we dont have an oline! Now if Spiller becomes a chris johnson like player than that will be awesome cuz CJ is freakin sick :w00t: ...and i hate that f*ckin puss f*ggot Tom "dont you dare touch my knee or ill tell on you" Brady

As I recall the Bills were deciding between 2 players with the 12th pick:

Marshawn Lynch

or

Darelle Revis

This was the draft year before we nabbed McKelvin so had we taken Revis we probably would've gone in another direction in 2008. Shoulda woulda coulda. That's what happens when you reach for needs. RB at the time was abysmal. We had A-train, and that was pretty much it. I can understand why they went with Lynch, but looking back Revis would've been the better move long term. There's one scenario where we all probably wish Juaron won out and got his DB.

AD is most overrated in the league next to Tom Brady of course! I love how back up players like Chester Taylor and Matt Cassel are put in the same system and put up numbers that are only slightly lower (mainly due to less rush/pass attempts) than these "amazing" players :lol:

Remember all those Bills games where Brady would throw to a wr who was in the "perfect" spot to get open against our defensive sceme and his numbers were off the charts? Well it's funny how his numbers are not so high after they do not have the tapes on all our defensive plays isnt it?

And seriously i had AD on my fantasy team this year and his ypc wasn't that great and 14 of his "incredible" 18 TD's were of 5 yards or less (mostly 1 yarders too). And i watched his games, the wholes are pretty damn big (3 pro bowl lineman on the vikes) and his 1 yard touchdowns are barely anything that any other rb couldn't do.

I sayin this because i do not want spiller to be an AD because AD cant do f*ck without his oline and we dont have an oline! Now if Spiller becomes a chris johnson like player than that will be awesome cuz CJ is freakin sick :w00t: ...and i hate that f*ckin puss f*ggot Tom "dont you dare touch my knee or ill tell on you" Brady

Whats with swearing? And who is AD?

I would sooner draw comparisons between Spiller and Chris Johnson, not Purple Jesus.

1 AP and Bills were not linked in any way

2 Lynch was not a reach

3 Willis was the primary. We traded up to get Poz. The brass was most likely picking between Poz and Lynch at 11.

4 Revis wAsn't linked to the Bills either

Let's not rewrite history.

Let's just be happy that the Bills didn't take Poz at 11.

Peterson runs a 4.4 at 220 pounds. Spiller is a tick faster but weighs 195.

Minnesota did nothing with Peterson in the playoffs until Favre came along. Buffalo's QB situation is unsettled going into camp.

Minnesota has invested a lot of resources into their OT's (McKinnie and Loadholt) while signing G Steve Hutchinson. BUF has Cornell Green and Demetrius Bell as probable starters at OT and hopes Eric Wood returns to pair with Levitre.

Minnesota has good receiving threats to keep opposing defenses honest like Sidney Rice and Bernard Berrian. BUF has Lee Evans and little else.

Spiller has yet to play a down, but he's not going to get 20 touches a game. Chances are, he'll play a role more like Percy Harvin in Buffalo's offense.

For the most part, you're right but you are way off on the receiver point. Evans is much better than Berrian and Rice did little before Farve came aboard.

And I believe Spiller will get 20 touches only the will be handoffs, receptions, and KRs.