Optimism

People on these boards keep telling me I am all doom and gloom, and I need to be more OPTIMISITC.

How can you not grasp that the most OPTIMISTIC outlook for this season is to go 0-16?

The Bills only hope to break out of this malaise of mediocrity is to hit rock bottom once and for all.

With Trent Edwards at the core of your offense you have nothing, and no hope for the future.

Imagine a young offense with CJ Spiller and Jake Locker at the core. Now you don't have this happy horseshit "Billieve" hope, you have REAL hope for the future.

It's like the Bills continually have the mindset that they are just a band-aid away from making the playoffs. Maybe there is some small amount of truth to that, but they best they could hope for is taking a run at a wild card berth and getting bounced in the first round.

I want them to be so bad that they get the 1st pick in the draft, and then they can start REBUILDING in earnest - not this quick fix crap. Only then can they actually have hope for returning to a dominant team that can set its aim on the Super Bowl each year, instead of just trying to patch something together that has an outside chance of a wild card berth.

Russ doesn't want to risk an 0-16 season because it will hurt revenue. So the organization will just keep spinning its tires trying to WIN NOW and failing at it. Nix/Gailey are probably too scared to even draft a QB, because they know it will be a learning curve, and if the QB does develop it will just be for their successors. Spiller gives them the best shot at immediate impact (with little long term impact), so in that sense the pick was obvious.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

I wanted to join the Optimist Society but I was afraid they wouldn't let me in.

who are the number one "franchise" qb's of recent memory? Favre and Brady weren't even a first ROUND

pick. Brees wasn't a first ROUND pick. Rothlisberger was selected eleventh overall. Sure there are the Mannings nd the Rivers, but then again there are also the Ryan Leafs, jamarcus Russells and all. Even Sanchez and Ryan weren't the number one overall picks.

I think getting a franchise qb has nothing to do with going 0-16 and getting the number one pick. It has to do with recognizing talent and getting your guy. There was a show on NFL station the other day where Bill Walsh pointed out that he targeted Joe Montana and picked him in like the fourth round (I'm not sure of the round).

When we get a coach and gm that know talent, they'll get the qb we need. Hopefully the crew in there now know what they are doing. Time will tell.

What is so great about Jake Locker? For a guy that has ALOT to work on this year in college (so says his coach) he gets an awful lot of man-love around here.

Can somebody show me why he is the Next God-of-the-Gridiron

Duh.....because Mel Kiper projects him as a top QB in next year's draft. So he's basically a can't miss prospect -- just like Javon Sneed.

who are the number one "franchise" qb's of recent memory? Favre and Brady weren't even a first ROUND

pick. Brees wasn't a first ROUND pick. Rothlisberger was selected eleventh overall. Sure there are the Mannings nd the Rivers, but then again there are also the Ryan Leafs, jamarcus Russells and all. Even Sanchez and Ryan weren't the number one overall picks.

I think getting a franchise qb has nothing to do with going 0-16 and getting the number one pick. It has to do with recognizing talent and getting your guy. There was a show on NFL station the other day where Bill Walsh pointed out that he targeted Joe Montana and picked him in like the fourth round (I'm not sure of the round).

When we get a coach and gm that know talent, they'll get the qb we need. Hopefully the crew in there now know what they are doing. Time will tell.

Few quarterbacks that are #1 overall draft choices win Superbowls with the team that draft them. In recent history you've got Aikman in '93, '94, '96, and and Manning in '07. Elway was drafted by Baltimore, Eli Manning by San Diego. Warner was a free agent, Montana a 3rd round choice, Steve Young was drafted by Tampa, Farve a 2nd round choice by Atlanta, Brady, we know the story there.

The lesson is there's no tried and true scientific method to find a franchise quarterback. Its a lot of work and more times than not a lot of luck too and taking one early in the 1st round in no sure thing.

In consideration that the entirety of the NFL season operates on the "any given Sunday" approach, there are always surprise teams, and that the Bills won six games *despite* having an offensive line picked from guys in the stands, half the team on the injury list, a marketing guy as GM and Dick Jauron as coach, of course you have to be optimistic.

When you can win six games against *all* those odds, imagine what you can do with less injuries, a solid draft, and a GM and coach who knows what their doing?

Why not be optimistic? The only direction the team has...is up.

In consideration that the entirety of the NFL season operates on the "any given Sunday" approach, there are always surprise teams, and that the Bills won six games *despite* having an offensive line picked from guys in the stands, half the team on the injury list, a marketing guy as GM and Dick Jauron as coach, of course you have to be optimistic.

When you can win six games against *all* those odds, imagine what you can do with less injuries, a solid draft, and a GM and coach who knows what their doing?

Why not be optimistic? The only direction the team has...is up.

And don't forget firing the OC 2 weeks before the season opener and letting AVP call the plays. Everything certainly went against us last year and they still almost won a couple more games if it wasnt for a couple bone headed plays (ie;roscoe/mckelvin). If we have a couple of things bounce our way for a change, we could have a much better season.