Optimism

People on these boards keep telling me I am all doom and gloom, and I need to be more OPTIMISITC.

How can you not grasp that the most OPTIMISTIC outlook for this season is to go 0-16?

The Bills only hope to break out of this malaise of mediocrity is to hit rock bottom once and for all.

With Trent Edwards at the core of your offense you have nothing, and no hope for the future.

Imagine a young offense with CJ Spiller and Jake Locker at the core. Now you don't have this happy horseshit "Billieve" hope, you have REAL hope for the future.

It's like the Bills continually have the mindset that they are just a band-aid away from making the playoffs. Maybe there is some small amount of truth to that, but they best they could hope for is taking a run at a wild card berth and getting bounced in the first round.

I want them to be so bad that they get the 1st pick in the draft, and then they can start REBUILDING in earnest - not this quick fix crap. Only then can they actually have hope for returning to a dominant team that can set its aim on the Super Bowl each year, instead of just trying to patch something together that has an outside chance of a wild card berth.

Russ doesn't want to risk an 0-16 season because it will hurt revenue. So the organization will just keep spinning its tires trying to WIN NOW and failing at it. Nix/Gailey are probably too scared to even draft a QB, because they know it will be a learning curve, and if the QB does develop it will just be for their successors. Spiller gives them the best shot at immediate impact (with little long term impact), so in that sense the pick was obvious.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

nah...we should be at least in the middle of the pack. We really should have won more than six games last year, with a rash of injuries on defense. the offensive line changed every week, our qb's had an understandable crisis of confidence as a result. On the bad side, we haven't done much with the offensive line and we've gone to a new defense with a bag of new personnel. Many on the board have a lot of confidence in the new coach and gm (I'm not one of them..but a lot of people I respect do feel that they know what they are doing). I think with the talent we have and with the addition of spiller we should be somewhere between last year (6 wins) and 9 wins. Further I don't believe that the nix/gailey regime is done working on the o-line issue.

Playoffs? probably not..but I think we could have a competitive season.

nah...we should be at least in the middle of the pack. We really should have won more than six games last year, with a rash of injuries on defense. the offensive line changed every week, our qb's had an understandable crisis of confidence as a result. On the bad side, we haven't done much with the offensive line and we've gone to a new defense with a bag of new personnel. Many on the board have a lot of confidence in the new coach and gm (I'm not one of them..but a lot of people I respect do feel that they know what they are doing). I think with the talent we have and with the addition of spiller we should be somewhere between last year (6 wins) and 9 wins. Further I don't believe that the nix/gailey regime is done working on the o-line issue.

Playoffs? probably not..but I think we could have a competitive season.

how does going 6-10 or 7-9 get the bills any closer to a franchise qb and contending for a super bowl? that's like the worst thing that could happen.

People on these boards keep telling me I am all doom and gloom, and I need to be more OPTIMISITC.

How can you not grasp that the most OPTIMISTIC outlook for this season is to go 0-16?

The Bills only hope to break out of this malaise of mediocrity is to hit rock bottom once and for all.

With Trent Edwards at the core of your offense you have nothing, and no hope for the future.

Imagine a young offense with CJ Spiller and Jake Locker at the core. Now you don't have this happy horseshit "Billieve" hope, you have REAL hope for the future.

It's like the Bills continually have the mindset that they are just a band-aid away from making the playoffs. Maybe there is some small amount of truth to that, but they best they could hope for is taking a run at a wild card berth and getting bounced in the first round.

I want them to be so bad that they get the 1st pick in the draft, and then they can start REBUILDING in earnest - not this quick fix crap. Only then can they actually have hope for returning to a dominant team that can set its aim on the Super Bowl each year, instead of just trying to patch something together that has an outside chance of a wild card berth.

Russ doesn't want to risk an 0-16 season because it will hurt revenue. So the organization will just keep spinning its tires trying to WIN NOW and failing at it. Nix/Gailey are probably too scared to even draft a QB, because they know it will be a learning curve, and if the QB does develop it will just be for their successors. Spiller gives them the best shot at immediate impact (with little long term impact), so in that sense the pick was obvious.

Call the crisis line!

how does going 6-10 or 7-9 get the bills any closer to a franchise qb and contending for a super bowl? that's like the worst thing that could happen.

it might be the worst thing that could happen, but it is what I would expect, unless gailey want to throw games. Any competent coach (and some incompetent coaches) would get four to five wins with this team as it is at this moment.

OH NOOOOOO ALL HOPE IS GONE!!!! DAMN!! I guess we all spot cheering on the Bills.

Optimism is what I had when Obama first got elected but then reality set in and you see you got more of the same in a somewhat more articulate package - Same thing with the Bills I had some Optimism but now reality has set in with our off-season, the NFL is now a passing league really has been a passing league for the last 20 years, the most important position is QB and the most important unit is Offensive line, the Bills OL was one of the worst last year, Bell and Woods are coming off injuries, the Bills lost Butler, Scott, Incognito- Bills sign Cornell Green 33 year old OT who's chief claim to fame is making Raider fans yearn for the return Langston Walker, and draft Ed Wang who is no sure thing and Calloway who I pray can be a good RG letting Wood play center because Hangartner is pretty bad- Bell, Levitre, Wood, Calloway, Meredith is the best we got right now- you have to try really hard to be optimistic about that OLine.

I'm not abandoning all hope.

I'm just saying that you guys are hoping for the wrong thing. Think about what things you are hoping to have happen to allow the Bills to return to their former glory.

Maybe Jimbo will come out of retirement.

Other than that, I hope they bottom out and draft a franchise QB and return to glory!

What is so great about Jake Locker? For a guy that has ALOT to work on this year in college (so says his coach) he gets an awful lot of man-love around here.

Can somebody show me why he is the Next God-of-the-Gridiron

He legitimately looks like the next Steve Young.

Tall, strong, accurate, fast. And he does all of it with awful talent surrounding him.

You shouldn't be more optimistic. You should lock yourself in a room with one 25 watt light bulb burning as you read the complete works of Jerry Sullivan and get it all out man!

Wallow in your misery and agonize. Then go follow the following sports teams: The StL Rams, Pittsburgh Pirates, NJ Nets, Florida Panthers and the Northwestern College Football and either hit rock bottom yourself and end it all.........................

He legitimately looks like the next Steve Young.

Tall, strong, accurate, fast. And he does all of it with awful talent surrounding him.

By the next steve young you mean a top prospect that busts with his original team and wins a SB with his 2nd team? cause if thats the case, I'd rather be his second team.

During the super bowl years, the Bills continuously drafted at the bottom and sometimes not at all in the first round and won by drafting good players. I understand what you are saying by hitting rock bottom and going up from there, but you are not giving any accoutability to the entire scouting department.

During the super bowl years, the Bills continuously drafted at the bottom and sometimes not at all in the first round and won by drafting good players. I understand what you are saying by hitting rock bottom and going up from there, but you are not giving any accoutability to the entire scouting department.

Scouts don't pick which or when players get drafted. The buck stops at the GMs desk. Poor draft, poor GM. If the scouts are not good, it's up to the GM to address it. If the GM can't cut it then it's up to the owner to cut him.

Does this season look promising? No. But I truly believe after the decade of futility we've endured , the Bills finally got it right with Nix & Gailey. Its gonna take time. We're a young team and we'll take our lumps and go through our growing pains , but we're doing it the right way for once. Build the core through the draft , then when we're ready to compete , plugg in the FA vets to take us to the next level.

Some may wallow in the prospect of another losing season , not me. Hell , if we tank this season , at least we get a shot at Locker and our young guys get a year to develop. My Sunday Ticket will be renewed and I will be making my yearly pilgrimage from Ft lauderdale to Orchard Park in November.

Whoa! Did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed today? I don't think we have to be last to get to first. It will take time. We are fans and hope springs eternal. No one feels that we are on the way to the Super Bowl in 2010, but we think we will get a few wins and show way better than we did last year. Nix and Gailey have the smarts to put together a competitive team. They live it 24/7. We all live it 3 hours on a Sunday in the Fall. :flirt:

So you are pretty sure that the #1 pick in the draft is going to be better than the #10 pick by enough to suffer through a terrible 0-16 year, to have that kind of failure for the guys on the 53 man roster who will be returning, and spend 40 million more than the #10 pick?

I...DO...NOT...AGREE

I have no interest in the #1 pick even via trade up (although if value were there I'd consider it, but that never happens), and certainly not through extensive failure in year one of the new coaching staff.

I happen to think Jake Locker is overrated, and might just have a Brady Quinn draft/career arc.

If Trent Edwards can get back on track where he was before his concussions under a much better offensive head coach, he will be a good QB. If he can't he will be a backup QB for another team pretty soon, not a mediocre starter for us.

And how are we doing things the same over and over? We have a new coaching staff, are moving to a 3-4, potentially a zone blocking scheme, and just had a draft focused on difference makers and big trench guys.

I'm sorry we went 5-11,7-9, 7-9, 6-10 too, and I couldn't wait for Mauron "winning football games is really hard" to be our ex-coach, but I'm over it. I'm sorry we didn't get our big name coach, but I also think that Nix/Gailey can do a lot of different things than we have seen, and I'm going to keep my optimism and see how things come together.

It's not like I'm saying that I think going 0-16 would be FUN. It would be excruciating as a fan to go through.

I am saying, though, that you just simply CAN NOT compete at a high level in his league without top quarterback play. The teams with the good quarterbacks are just the best teams year in, year out.

What's the Bills best chance of getting that franchise QB?

Very rarely do top QBs move in free agency, and the Bills can't realistically sign them anyways.

It's drafting the top QB in a draft class. Sure, sometimes quarterbacks from late rounds can become Hall of Famers. Many times first round draft pick QBs are huge busts. But, the vast majority of late round QBs amount to nothing, and a better percentage of top QBs drafted have good careers.

Drafting a marquee QB doesn't guarantee you anything. What it does do is give you a LEGITIMATE shot. You just have to pray you catch lucky and draft Peyton Manning and not Ryan Leaf. If you get Leaf, you just go back to being a crappy team. If you get Manning, then you get a real shot at being a playoff team every year for a decade.

Maybe Levi Brown is the next Tom Brady. I just would prefer to roll the dice with Clausen or Tebow than Brown. Next year I want to roll the dice with the highest rated QB in the draft and get the best chance at a franchise QB.