OT "The biggest in Buffalo in decades"

seq004

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that it works out.

Yet, I am more than a bit skeptical about the millions of dollars of public funds that are being invested to lure what is really just a retail store for outdoorsmen.

We have one in South Florida. I have been there a couple of times. It is nice. Is it something that I would go out of my way for? No.

Again, I really hope that it works out. Buffalo needs some good news. I was home for Thanksgiving and drove to Canada to get flu shot. While I was driving to the Peace Bridge, I was reminded yet again about some of the stupid decisions that have been made: who in their right mind builds an expressway along the Niagara River?!?!

Perhaps, the Bass Pro Shop and the accompanying development will improve the waterfront. It really is beautiful and could be so much more of an asset for the community.

Let's just say that they opened up a new Bass Pro in Harrisburg, PA.  I don't recall Govnah Rendell attending its opening or having a press conference.

Yes, it received some publicity but nothing out of the ordinary.  Local rags gave an overview of the Bass Pro company and talked about the opening of the store.  I believe it is an anchor store at a Harrisburg area mall.

There's also one in Baltimore, but I wasn't even aware of it.  I never read/heard/saw anything about the Bass Pro in Baltimore.  I guess when a city like that, which has spent 30 or more years revitalizing its harbor area, something like Bass Pro becomes small potatoes.

139239[/snapback]

The mayor called it I believe and correct me if I'm wrong" 31 and 1/2 years of planning for the waterfront." You have to start somewhere. Yes it sucks that goverment is paying private business but I'm sick of every idea being shot down. At least it will be a welcome site to downtown and the waterfront. The city looks bad old, and getting worse. Why would you even go downtown right now other than a free concert. I really hope they can start something.

The mayor called it I believe and correct me if I'm wrong" 31 and 1/2 years of planning for the waterfront." You have to start somewhere. Yes it sucks that goverment is paying private business but I'm sick of every idea being shot down. At least it will be a welcome site to downtown and the waterfront. The city looks bad old, and getting worse.  Why would you even go downtown right now other than a free concert.  I really hope they can start something.

139484[/snapback]

I didn't hear the mayor.....Masiello said 31.5 years? What does he mean by that?

What other plans were there for Memorial Auditorium? This was a good move. I don't have any complaints. The Aud would have just sat there, becoming more derelict in condition as the years move on by.

I didn't hear the mayor.....Masiello said 31.5 years?  What does he mean by that?

What other plans were there for Memorial Auditorium?  This was a good move.  I don't have any complaints.  The Aud would have just sat there, becoming more derelict in condition as the years move on by.

139510[/snapback]

That's how long he belongs in prison, along with the rest of the assembly.

Will they tap into ice fishing supplies.  People really forget that the boating season in Buffalo is from late May (if) to mid-Sept. (if).  Throw in a summer like they had this year... Spells disaster.  A lot of marinas went under the past two years.

I hope it works out... More of a snowball's chance in Miami...  :lol:  :w00t:

139573[/snapback]

Bass Pro not only caters to fishermen. They have an equal amount of hunting supplies, ATV's and camping equipment. If you love the outdoors this is your kind of store.

$66 million in County, State & Federal money go directly to Bass Pro to open this store. There are HUGE budget problems in Erie County and massive cuts are coming January 1st (closing all the libraries and massive cuts in Fire and Police services to start with) unless the sales tax goes up yet they have $14 million to hand Bass Pro to open a fishing & hunting store? I could care less if they open a Bass Pro here but I do care when it's costing taxpayers more money. They are also going to charge people $6 to park for the privilege of going to Bass Pro. This whole thing stinks like a big, old, dead fish.

$66 million in County, State & Federal money go directly to Bass Pro to open this store. There are HUGE budget problems in Erie County and massive cuts are coming January 1st (closing all the libraries and massive cuts in Fire and Police services to start with) unless the sales tax goes up yet they have $14 million to hand Bass Pro to open a fishing & hunting store? I could care less if they open a Bass Pro here but I do care when it's costing taxpayers more money. They are also going to charge people $6 to park for the privilege of going to Bass Pro. This whole thing stinks like a big, old, dead fish.

139622[/snapback]

Another bad deal in a long line of them. SIX bucks to park at a private store? Good luck with that.

I hope that it works out.

Yet, I am more than a bit skeptical about the millions of dollars of public funds that are being invested to lure what is really just a retail store for outdoorsmen.

We have one in South Florida.  I have been there a couple of times.  It is nice.  Is it something that I would go out of my way for?  No.

Again, I really hope that it works out. Buffalo needs some good news.  I was home for Thanksgiving and drove to Canada to get flu shot.  While I was driving to the Peace Bridge, I was reminded yet again about some of the stupid decisions that have been made: who in their right mind builds an expressway along the Niagara River?!?!

Perhaps, the Bass Pro Shop and the accompanying development will improve the waterfront.  It really is beautiful and could be so much more of an asset for the community.

139302[/snapback]

You hit the nail on the head!... That is where I would start first... Move the Niagara section. Pretty major though! There has been numerous studies dating back 50 years or so. You gotta remember Buffalo's roads where built for that exact reason... To fly by things. Buffalo was the first major city with ALL paved roads (I wonder why?... SNOW?). Look at what the roads did to Delaware park. Look at how UB (Amherst) and "The Spine" vs. dormatory were concieved originally... Yes, it worked, it kept the student population isolated and decentralized... This was due to the civil unrest in the 60's... Now they have changed all that with commons and student union.

There is a good book that explains a lot of why Buffalo is the way it is. Read:

High Times: The Rise and Fall of Buffalo, New York... I can't the exact title to link, I will get the exact title for you a little later.

You hit the nail on the head!... That is where I would start first... Move the Niagara section.  Pretty major though!  There has been numerous studies dating back 50 years or so.  You gotta remember Buffalo's roads where built for that exact reason... To fly by things.  Buffalo was the first major city with ALL paved roads (I wonder why?... SNOW?).  Look at what the roads did to Delaware park.  Look at how UB (Amherst) and "The Spine" vs. dormatory were concieved originally... Yes, it worked, it kept the student population isolated and decentralized... This was due to the civil unrest in the 60's... Now they have changed all that with commons and student union.

There is a good book that explains a lot of why Buffalo is the way it is.  Read:

High Times: The Rise and Fall of Buffalo, New York... I can't the exact title to link, I will get the exact title for you a little later.

139674[/snapback]

Thanks. I would like to read it.

To give you an idea about NYS Government's misplaced priorities:

There is a company in WNY called PCB Piezotronics.

Home Page

They started as a 2-person company in WNY, and have grown to over 500 people. It was started by Buffalo natives, and remains there.

Company History

They don't do anything "sexy" - they make various gauges and measuring devices - but they have an excellent reputation for quality and their name is well-known in engineering circles.

Company Profile

With their success, they needed to expand their research / development / manufacturing capabilities, and they asked NYS earlier this year for help in locating a new facility for their expansion (including 250 new jobs).

NYS told them to go f**k off - literally. They described NYS' attitudes towards them as "hostile" and "contentious". This is detailed in an article in the September 15th Buffalo News.

So instead, this company (which was founded in WNY and owned by WNY'ers) will instead expand its facilities and payroll in North Carolina.

North Carolina Newspaper Article

It's sad that NYS ignores this company and so many like them - it is these kinds of jobs that they desperately need instead of more "retail".

To give you an idea about NYS Government's misplaced priorities:

There is a company in WNY called PCB Piezotronics.

Home Page

They started as a 2-person company in WNY, and have grown to over 500 people. It was started by Buffalo natives, and remains there.

Company History

They don't do anything "sexy" - they make various gauges and measuring devices - but they have an excellent reputation for quality and their name is well-known in engineering circles.

Company Profile

With their success, they needed to expand their research / development / manufacturing capabilities, and they asked NYS earlier this year for help in locating a new facility for their expansion (including 250 new jobs).

NYS told them to go f**k off - literally. They described NYS' attitudes towards them as "hostile" and "contentious". This is detailed in an article in the September 15th Buffalo News.

So instead, this company (which was founded in WNY and owned by WNY'ers) will instead expand its facilities and payroll in North Carolina.

North Carolina Newspaper Article

It's sad that NYS ignores this company and so many like them - it is these kinds of jobs that they desperately need instead of more "retail".

139699[/snapback]

In order to survive....chop the head off of the Beast (Albany)......Now there's a secession movement I could get behind.

:lol: