McShay's seven-round mock

Hmm. A future Pro Bowler or a future professional bowler?

Nice. But I'd still say that the jury is out on Maybin. I was highly unimpressed last year, but I'd say that about all of the D-line. Let's see what the switch to 3-4 does for this kid. His speed should ("should" being the operative word) lend itself to a better performance in this alignment.

As for the draft that McShay has noted, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the direction we went. The only surprise, as RyanC883 noted, would be if Cam Thomas is there in the third.

McShay praised the Maybin pick last year. Seriously.

Yep, he called Maybin a future pro bowler.

He wasn't alone. Pro Football Weekly had him rated in the top 10 also.

Ok, here's what PFW had to say about Maybin last year;

Negatives: One year starter. Nowhere near finished product. Needs to get significantly stronger and is one-dimensional at this point in his development...

Summary: ...However, he is a major league pass rushing talent with natural ability that cannot be taught. An unrefined talent in the early stages of maturation with a very high ceiling...

I think people need to back off on giving him the bust label just now.

Nice. But I'd still say that the jury is out on Maybin. I was highly unimpressed last year, but I'd say that about all of the D-line. Let's see what the switch to 3-4 does for this kid. His speed should ("should" being the operative word) lend itself to a better performance in this alignment.

We'll see. If he has the talent to play in this league I would've expected to see it at least once or twice last year. I hope he isn't a bust, and I'm not going to declare him one yet, but he hasn't given me any reason to think that he's suddenly going to become a legit player.

Ok, here's what PFW had to say about Maybin last year;

I think people need to back off on giving him the bust label just now.

I believe they were saying he was more suited to be a 3-4 LB than a 4-3 end, as well.

Can we hold off calling him a bust at least until he sees the field in the 3-4?