I think Dan Williams HAS to be the pick.

Although not built for NT, I wouldn't bet against that guy. He's got a lot of "want to".

Thats fair enough. I just view Williams as a guy that while solid, a team will always be looking to upgrade from. But yes he does have a ton of heart.

Kyle Williams has not been a starting Nose tackle for 4 years. he's been a starting UT or Under Tackle in our previous scheme. His duties in the previous scheme's where to shoot the gap between the Guard and Center, and cause havoc in the backfield. In our new scheme he'll be asked to control 2 gaps, and take on a guard and the Center, and hold the point of attack. And he is gonna have a hard time doing that due to his relatively small size(for an nfl DT) and his short arm length. So while Williams can contribute to an NFL 3-4 defense, he's simply not a 2 down NT.

then what makes you say Dan Williams is a starting NT in the NFL? His weight? He played in a 4-3, had one good year and isn't very bullish for a 3-4 nt.

Trade down or draft the bpa, Dan Williams isn't even close to the bpa

I don't think either Williams or Okung will make it that far and Bulaga is a RT. I warmed up to the idea of Spiller and wouldn't mind that pick but the 34 NEEDS a NT and if you want a good 34 defense you need a good NT. I'm not saying Williams will be great but he and Cody are probably the best at that spot and I doubt Cody falls to the 2nd. IDK how I feel about that yet, right now it's giving me that ehhh feeling. I however would be thrilled if we traded down and grabbed him or Cody.

I call BULLSCHITT on the 'Bulaga's a RT' nonsense! Equally ridiculous is any notion that Spiller is first-round material.

There's been a recent onslaught of ersatz draft pundits (really just poseurs pretending to be 'pundits') branding Bulaga a right tackle, and I really can't figure out why since I don't think he's ever played the position...

2007 - a top 5 OT prospect nationally in H.S., Bulaga started left guard for Iowa as a 'true freshman' (he did not 'red shirt')

2008 Season (sophomore season) - named co-first team left tackle following spring practice . . . started at left tackle in 46-3 opening win over Maine as offense rushed for 245 yards and gained 457 yards total offense . . . started at left tackle in 42-0 win over Florida International as offense rushed for 241 yards and gained 512 yards total offense . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 17-5 win over Iowa State . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 21-20 loss at Pittsburgh . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 22-17 loss to Northwestern as offense gained 407 yards total offense . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 16-13 loss at Michigan State . . . started at left tackle in 45-9 win at Indiana as offense rushed for 227 yards and gained 422 yards total offense . . . started at left tackle in 38-16 win over Wisconsin as offense rushed for 254 yards . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 27-24 loss at Illinois . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 24-23 win over third-ranked Penn State . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 22-17 win over Purdue as offense gained 248 net rushing yards . . . started at left tackle in 55-0 win at Minnesota as offense rushed for 222 yards and gained 483 yards total offense . . . started a t left tackle in 31-10 Outback Bowl win over South Carolina as offense gained 328 yards total offense.

2009 Season (junior season)- Started 10 games at left tackle, missing three early season games due to a thyroid condition . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 17-16 win over Northern Iowa . . . did not see action in 35-3 win at Iowa State . . . did not see action in 27-17 win over Arizona . . . did not see action in 21-10 win at Penn State . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 24-21 win over Arkansas State as offense gained 420 yards total offense . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 30-28 win over Michigan . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 20-10 win at Wisconsin . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 15-13 win at Michigan State . . . started at left tackle in 42-24 win over Indiana as offense gained 480 yards total offense . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 17-10 loss to Northwestern . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 27-24 loss at Ohio State as offensive line allowed just one QB sack . . . started at left tackle in 12-0 win over Minnesota . . . started at left tackle in 24-14 Orange Bowl win over Georgia Tech as offense gained 403 yards total offense.

(I'd love to see the hi-lites of BB as the RT everyone says he is, but there are none since he never played the position)

Furthermore, Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz is widely respected in the NFL for how he coaches his linemen. He was an offensive line coach from the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens from 1993-98 and is known to be relentless on his Iowa linemen. Most scouting reports I've read state that it's pretty much a given, coming from a Ferentz-coached Iowa team, that Bulaga will have flawless mechanics and be able to either start at LT immediately, or move there very quickly.

So I'm just curious - what exactly makes you say Bulaga's a right tackle?

(Put me down for Bulaga at #9, Dan Williams at #41, and Tebow in round 3.)

then what makes you say Dan Williams is a starting NT in the NFL? His weight? He played in a 4-3, had one good year and isn't very bullish for a 3-4 nt.

Trade down or draft the bpa, Dan Williams isn't even close to the bpa

I dont think Dan or Kyle are starting NFL NT's. The only guy in the draft I think that can man the nose from day 1 are Cody,Troup, and Woods.

I call BULLSCHITT on the 'Bulaga's a RT' nonsense! Equally ridiculous is any notion that Spiller is first-round material.

There's been a recent onslaught of ersatz draft pundits (really just poseurs pretending to be 'pundits') branding Bulaga a right tackle, and I really can't figure out why since I don't think he's ever played the position...

2007 - a top 5 OT prospect nationally in H.S., Bulaga started left guard for Iowa as a 'true freshman' (he did not 'red shirt')

2008 Season (sophomore season) - named co-first team left tackle following spring practice . . . started at left tackle in 46-3 opening win over Maine as offense rushed for 245 yards and gained 457 yards total offense . . . started at left tackle in 42-0 win over Florida International as offense rushed for 241 yards and gained 512 yards total offense . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 17-5 win over Iowa State . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 21-20 loss at Pittsburgh . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 22-17 loss to Northwestern as offense gained 407 yards total offense . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 16-13 loss at Michigan State . . . started at left tackle in 45-9 win at Indiana as offense rushed for 227 yards and gained 422 yards total offense . . . started at left tackle in 38-16 win over Wisconsin as offense rushed for 254 yards . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 27-24 loss at Illinois . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 24-23 win over third-ranked Penn State . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 22-17 win over Purdue as offense gained 248 net rushing yards . . . started at left tackle in 55-0 win at Minnesota as offense rushed for 222 yards and gained 483 yards total offense . . . started a t left tackle in 31-10 Outback Bowl win over South Carolina as offense gained 328 yards total offense.

2009 Season (junior season)- Started 10 games at left tackle, missing three early season games due to a thyroid condition . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 17-16 win over Northern Iowa . . . did not see action in 35-3 win at Iowa State . . . did not see action in 27-17 win over Arizona . . . did not see action in 21-10 win at Penn State . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 24-21 win over Arkansas State as offense gained 420 yards total offense . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 30-28 win over Michigan . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 20-10 win at Wisconsin . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 15-13 win at Michigan State . . . started at left tackle in 42-24 win over Indiana as offense gained 480 yards total offense . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 17-10 loss to Northwestern . . . started at left tackle and played every offensive down in 27-24 loss at Ohio State as offensive line allowed just one QB sack . . . started at left tackle in 12-0 win over Minnesota . . . started at left tackle in 24-14 Orange Bowl win over Georgia Tech as offense gained 403 yards total offense.

(I'd love to see the hi-lites of BB as the RT everyone says he is, but there are none since he never played the position)

Furthermore, Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz is widely respected in the NFL for how he coaches his linemen. He was an offensive line coach from the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens from 1993-98 and is known to be relentless on his Iowa linemen. Most scouting reports I've read state that it's pretty much a given, coming from a Ferentz-coached Iowa team, that Bulaga will have flawless mechanics and be able to either start at LT immediately, or move there very quickly.

I <3 Bulaga and he is my Bills #1. I think he gets the RT label because he is a better run blocker than pass blocker - which is NOT a knock on his pass blocking, but rather a testimate to just how dominant he is inthe running game. I really hope he is the Bills pick. Knowing my luck he will fall to use and we will draft Bust City Anthony Davis.

Also, its a breath of fresh air to see someone else saying Spiller is not a round 1 talent. Gimmick RB who cannot run between the tackles? No thanks. Drafting a punt returner in the top ten is like taking a kicker in the top ten. I may just kill myself if we draft him at all, especially after last years top ten debacle.

I think Dan Williams would be a horrible pick at 9. The only place I see him rated as a top 15ish pick is Pro Football Weekly (who I respect), but most others have him as a late 1st - or later pick.

1. Williams has not even played NT in college.

2. He did not stand out prior to his senior year - red flag.

3. He has his weight under control now, but he has had signicant weight problems

in the past.

4. For as big as he is, he doesn't bench much and he reportedly gets pushed off the

line a lot because he doesn't play with leverage.

I would see Dan Williams as a Donte Whitner type pick that high. Maybe he is an OK

player, but not what you want in a top-10 pick. (all IMHO).

Not to mention Alabama making him look like a rag doll on several plays

I heard all these knocks on Bulaga over the course of the last few weeks: he has short arms, he projects to be a RT, he got owned by Derrick Morgan in their Bowl game last year.

Then I watched Bulaga's highlight reel. Needless to say I was impressed and would not mind at all if he was the Bills pick and you make some great points to further elucidate that point. I've read that scouts think that he is the 2nd best LT in the draft and I could easily see him gone before the Bills pick.

However, I know you have quite a few aversions to Clausen, Senator, and I had mine too, but I still think if the Bills brass had to choose between Bulaga and a franchise LT, I think they choose Clausen.

I don't think either Williams or Okung will make it that far and Bulaga is a RT. I warmed up to the idea of Spiller and wouldn't mind that pick but the 34 NEEDS a NT and if you want a good 34 defense you need a good NT. I'm not saying Williams will be great but he and Cody are probably the best at that spot and I doubt Cody falls to the 2nd. IDK how I feel about that yet, right now it's giving me that ehhh feeling. I however would be thrilled if we traded down and grabbed him or Cody.

Bulaga a right tackle? Don't think so. Watching him I see Jake Long and so do alot of other people. Are you blinded by the "short arms" arguement? His arms are at the lower end of ideal, but not too short to play LT. He is an excellent tactician, always in great position, never misses his assignments, is mean, blue-collar, nasty and is a great fit at LT for the Bills. I don't know how you can be so dismissive about one of the best LT's in the draft. AND he is better, by a mile, than any LT we have. If Brian Bulaga is there at 9, we need to take him.

I think Dan Williams would be a horrible pick at 9. The only place I see him rated as a top 15ish pick is Pro Football Weekly (who I respect), but most others have him as a late 1st - or later pick.

1. Williams has not even played NT in college.

2. He did not stand out prior to his senior year - red flag.

3. He has his weight under control now, but he has had signicant weight problems

in the past.

4. For as big as he is, he doesn't bench much and he reportedly gets pushed off the

line a lot because he doesn't play with leverage.

I would see Dan Williams as a Donte Whitner type pick that high. Maybe he is an OK

player, but not what you want in a top-10 pick. (all IMHO).

Agreed

Kyle Williams is their NT. There is no reason Kyle can't be succesful. He has been a starting NT at a high level for 4 years. He has the build, short/stout, and motor that you look for. I'm sure the argument will be that he is not a 2 gap player, however I have yet to see that they will be running a 2 gap system.

The major issues with the defense last year was the amount of time they were on the field. They need oline and offensive playmakers. If the tackles are gone draft Clausen or Spiller.

Agreed with this as well.

I thought I read he was going to be an end in the new scheme.

Nope, he'll play NT.

Kyle Williams has not been a starting Nose tackle for 4 years. he's been a starting UT or Under Tackle in our previous scheme. His duties in the previous scheme's where to shoot the gap between the Guard and Center, and cause havoc in the backfield. In our new scheme he'll be asked to control 2 gaps, and take on a guard and the Center, and hold the point of attack. And he is gonna have a hard time doing that due to his relatively small size(for an nfl DT) and his short arm length. So while Williams can contribute to an NFL 3-4 defense, he's simply not a 2 down NT.

Stroud plays the 3-tech, Williams plays the 1. While it's a different responsibility in a tampa-2 than it is in a 3-4, it's not as though he hasn't played over the center.

Besides, if a 293 pounder like Dallas' Jay Ratliff can make 2 pro bowls at NT, I think we can give Williams a shot at it.