RIAA and MPAA's wishlist

Fezmid

never before has an industry flat out REFUSED to stay with the times, and instead dig their heals in and try to make the entire world bend to fit into it's archaic business practice.

if ANY label or company in the music industry tried to do a little forward thinking, none of this would be a problem. but instead of trying to change, they figure it will be easier and more cost effective to just carpet bomb the consumer with litigation.

i hope they all go out of business, and then musicians can go back to making money.

if ANY label or company in the music industry tried to do a little forward thinking, none of this would be a problem. but instead of trying to change, they figure it will be easier and more cost effective to just carpet bomb the consumer with litigation.

It is more cost effective, because they won't be the ones footing the bills:

"Enforcement agencies (notably within DOJ and DHS) should plan a similarly focused preventive and responsive strategy. An interagency task force should work with industry to coordinate and make advance plans to try to interdict these most damaging forms of copyright theft, and to react swiftly with enforcement actions where necessary."

It is more cost effective, because they won't be the ones footing the bills:

"Enforcement agencies (notably within DOJ and DHS) should plan a similarly focused preventive and responsive strategy. An interagency task force should work with industry to coordinate and make advance plans to try to interdict these most damaging forms of copyright theft, and to react swiftly with enforcement actions where necessary."

so the taxpayer gets to pay for the record industry suing taxpayers... amazing

never before has an industry flat out REFUSED to stay with the times, and instead dig their heals in and try to make the entire world bend to fit into it's archaic business practice.

Wrong. At least one has before, and is a more telling commentary on RIAA's position than your inaccurate hyperbole:

The buggy whip industry. :thumbdown:

Or you could just not steal music.

:unsure::lol::lol:

You're ok with border police seizing your electronics, "just in case?" You're ok with some corporation spying on your computer and deleting flies off of your computer that they deem to be violating their copyright (despite the fact that there's no way to be 100% sure -- so your files could be deleted for pretty much any reason)?

For that matter, you're ok with a corporation having access to everything on your computer....???

Wow.... :blink::blink::blink:

ill bite, define "steal music". is it ok for me to make a copy of a cd i purchased for a friend?

No, but it is legal for you to make a copy of a CD you purchase for YOURSELF. You just have to delete those files if you give the CD away to someone else.

I have no idea how the RIAA software would be able to figure any of that out. But it doesn't matter, since they like to "shoot first and ask questions later."

No, but it is legal for you to make a copy of a CD you purchase for YOURSELF. You just have to delete those files if you give the CD away to someone else.

I have no idea how the RIAA software would be able to figure any of that out. But it doesn't matter, since they like to "shoot first and ask questions later."

This seems an appropriate place to mention that somebody once threw a cup at Ron Artest...

No.

strange. when i purchased the cd, i didnt purchase a user's license. i purchased the actual CD. i know that i cant reproduce it to SELL it, but i'd think this would have been covered back when the industry was saying that cassette tapes would put them out of business.

This seems an appropriate place to mention that somebody once threw a cup at Ron Artest...

haha yes! this thread could be a perfect storm. between the doldrums of a boring offseason, and the 4/20 thread stirring the pot, we could have another classic. one in which i will NOT have a melt down in (this time).

strange. when i purchased the cd, i didnt purchase a user's license. i purchased the actual CD. i know that i cant reproduce it to SELL it, but i'd think this would have been covered back when the industry was saying that cassette tapes would put them out of business.

Copying and giving it away is still a copyright violation - it's illegal distribution. Money doesn't have to change hands. Same as photocopying a book.

Copying and giving it away is still a copyright violation - it's illegal distribution. Money doesn't have to change hands. Same as photocopying a book.

i really want to believe you on this. but i'd think this would have been settled back in the cassette days then?