Troy could still be traded.

Troy Smith is our best option? What has he done in the NFL to make someone want this guy as a starter. I'd rather any of the three on our roster start, not to mention Bulger who is a free agent, or Jason Campbell who is likely available via trade.

all it takes is a little time to google him and all of his stats and accomplishments appear as if by magic (just kidding)! i don't see why anyone would not think he is worth the risk (low) based on his bio. the only downside that i could see is he really wanted to play for cleveland and his height, which i have seen listed from 6' to 6' 2", but we all know you don't have to be tall to be a good qb. and just as Va Bills added he competed well against Flacco he just fell to untimely health concerns which is what i was referring to when i said "if he is healthy".

for everyone that says he is not worth it i am mystified, unless of course you are speaking out of ignorance and/or emotion.

his qb ratings 2004:134.1/2005:162.7/2006:162

completion % 2004:55.7/2005:62.9/2006:72

he was sacked a total of 13 times his last year 2006

he had 43 rushing att for a 3.6 yd avg

won the heisman

and of course he now has nfl experience

for those who said he doesn't have a good arm where did you get that info? first off i remember seeing him play and second according to his scouting report:

"The 6-1, 215-pound quarterback ran a 4.70, which would have been second among QBs at the combine behind Boise State's Jared Zabransky, but still not as fast as some scouts anticipated. An outstanding athlete, Smith also beat all the combine quarterbacks in both the vertical jump and the broad jump. Smith's arm is also one of his great strengths-literally. It is both strong and very accurate, as he proved both throughout his senior season and at OSU's pro day."

so far those who are totally against giving him a chance haven't come up with ANY documentation to back their arguments, when all i can find are reasons why we should. so help me out what have i overlooked?

He won a Heisman in NCAA, which means nothing in the NFL. I wouldn't waste any draft picks on Troy Smith. He's too small, and hasn't shown any reason to give him a chance.

ok, except you said you'd rather go with the clowns we already have.

So since your argument is that "he hasn't shown any reason to give him a chance", please tell us all what Trent/Fitz/Brohm has done to get the same chance??? :devil:

I think this is absolutely the case. I think that this been one of the likely scenarios all along that the Bills plan is NOT get a QB at #9. I would imagine they are going to sit tight, wait to see if Tebow or McCoy are available in the 2nd. If neither of those guys is there when they would look you go out and get Jason Campbell or Troy Smith Friday night before rounds 4 - 7 on Saturday.

Agreed. The Bills will either draft a QB or trade for a veteran, most likely Campbell or Smith, by the end of this week.

BTW, Troy Smith had actually won the starting job in Baltimore but he became sick and....just kidding.

Seeing as about ten people have posted about his illness, etc. I got to thinking. Does anyone read the thread before they post?

The redundancy here is amazing sometimes. I mean, what...do all of you guys have short arms or something?

What the hell is up with all of the "Git er done" **** on this board.. Because someone is from the South does not make them less then intelligent. This is a slang that is over used and ill appropriate.. You most love the Blue Collar Guys, come on all can we show a little more class.. I know I hate it when people make fun of this region.

Come on guys, we really should be more sensitive to the southeners, if we try we can GIT R DUNNNN

What the hell is up with all of the "Git er done" **** on this board.. Because someone is from the South does not make them less then intelligent. This is a slang that is over used and ill appropriate.. You most love the Blue Collar Guys, come on all can we show a little more class.. I know I hate it when people make fun of this region.

That's right. We is just as smart is y'all up north there are.

id rather not be trading for a BACKUP that couldnt win his job from a rookie.

he actually had the job originally but was sick the beginning of the year and never got it back. he is at least as good Flacco but there is no reason for them to disrupt a solid offense. his numbers were good the prior year. he doesn't ahve the height or necessarily as strong a cannon as flacco, but he moves around better in the pocket and from watching both they both ahve similar abilities to read downfield. flacco is a LOT like rothelsiberger early on - not a big stat guy, not throwing a lot of passes, instead they run a fair amount and win with defense. thatsh ow you win with young qb's and thats what chan/buddy are aiming for.

Say what you want, but whenever Troy Smith got some pt in the NFL, he played very well. He started two games as a rookie, had pretty good numbers and IIRC moved the offense down the field. He is a guy I have always thought, even when he was in college, could be a very good NFL QB because he does have a strong arm and is accurate. With 3-4 years of learning under Harbaugh, I think (hope)he has the mental aspect down too.

Its a 5th round pick - who really cares?

Would you not trade Alvin Bowen (a guy who never played and is no longer on the team) for Troy Smith?

Thats the type of player you get in the 5th round 9 out of 10 times, ALVIN BOWEN. Ill take my chances with Troy Smith!

"The last we'd heard on Troy Smith, there were possibly five teams that would make logical sense as trade suitors. The Baltimore Ravens backup QB was tendered at the original round level as an RFA, which for him equated to a fifth-round echelon. Smith switched agents earlier this offseason, and the latest update is that he's finally signed his RFA tender per Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times.

Of the teams originally cited as logical destinations, just three remain as viable options: the Buffalo Bills, Oakland Raiders (if they don't land a slightly bigger target) and Carolina Panthers. Smith had previously stated that he wanted to play for the Cleveland Browns, but it appears after their acquisition of Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace -- not to mention their likely drafting of a QB -- that Cleveland is not likely.

It's still unclear what type of return Smith would provide, but with only six draft picks total this year, the Ravens would likely listen to any legitimate offers."

*From ESPN's rumors.

I wouldn't mind if we gave up a fifth for him.

Don't waste a pick on a qb from this year's weak class, fill all our other needs.

Wait till next year to get Mallet or Locker (Give up picks to get there in the draft).

No Thanks. The Bills have been spinning their wheels in mud for a decade now, bringing in Smith would give us 4 NFL backups, one of which will be forced to start. What this team needs is an NFL starting quarterback, not some other teams unwanted backup.

No Thanks. The Bills have been spinning their wheels in mud for a decade now, bringing in Smith would give us 4 NFL backups, one of which will be forced to start. What this team needs is an NFL starting quarterback, not some other teams unwanted backup.

Tom Brady, Matt Schaub and Aaron Rogers agree.

and still not one of the naysayers have given a single viable reason as to why they don't want him here :devil: the only reason i think Campbell isn't the right guy is because of the lack of consistency on washington's behalf. his head has to be swimming, but yet he has continued to improve so i could be wrong. i am optimistic (as usual) and have faith that the front office knows best. at least they should be able to give a reason as to why they will take the path they chose. in all honesty i don't care who they bring in to compete for the job as long as it puts us back on the "quick" path to glory and SEVERAL super bowl wins (as long as it's not big ben that is).

as for Troy... that's okay i know there are no "facts" to back your argument and your reasons can remain secret :lol:

Is that you, Colt?

He has a stronger arm than anyone on our roster and is faster....soooo.....

Also, Smith has great intangibles. A few tidbits from Wiki:

Ohio State teammates voted Smith the 2006 most valuable player. In 2006, Smith was awarded the Davey O'Brien Award for best college quarterback. He defeated other finalists Colt Brennan of the University of Hawaii and Brady Quinn of the University of Notre Dame.

He graduated with a bachelor's degree in communications.

In 2010, Adam Rittenberg of ESPN listed Smith as the "Big Ten player of the decade".

In winning the 2006 Heisman Trophy, Smith took 86.7% of the first place votes, which is a record. His tally of 2,540 votes was the third largest behind that of the 2005 Heisman Trophy winner, Reggie Bush of the University of Southern California (2,541 votes) and 1968 Heisman winner O.J. Simpson who also played for USC (2,853 votes). His margin of victory (1,662 votes) was also the second largest in the history of the award, eclipsed only by O.J. Simpson who won by 1,750 votes.

Also, Smith is beloved by his teammates and is active in the community. The guy is a winner, always has been, and has excellent character.

Is that you, Colt?

He has a stronger arm than anyone on our roster and is faster....soooo.....

Also, Smith has great intangibles. A few tidbits from Wiki:

Ohio State teammates voted Smith the 2006 most valuable player. In 2006, Smith was awarded the Davey O'Brien Award for best college quarterback. He defeated other finalists Colt Brennan of the University of Hawaii and Brady Quinn of the University of Notre Dame.

He graduated with a bachelor's degree in communications.

In 2010, Adam Rittenberg of ESPN listed Smith as the "Big Ten player of the decade".

In winning the 2006 Heisman Trophy, Smith took 86.7% of the first place votes, which is a record. His tally of 2,540 votes was the third largest behind that of the 2005 Heisman Trophy winner, Reggie Bush of the University of Southern California (2,541 votes) and 1968 Heisman winner O.J. Simpson who also played for USC (2,853 votes). His margin of victory (1,662 votes) was also the second largest in the history of the award, eclipsed only by O.J. Simpson who won by 1,750 votes.

Also, Smith is beloved by his teammates and is active in the community. The guy is a winner, always has been, and has excellent character.

Anything having to do with the Heisman is largely irrelevant. And he doesn't have enough stats to really go on, but the guy is barely 6'0" (I know, I know, Brees is the same size - but he's the exception, not the rule). I'm all for giving him a shot with a fifth or sixth round pick, but I wouldn't be expecting much. I would much rather trade for Colt Brennan given the opportunity.