It's the offensive line and defensive front, not the quarterback

I know there is no guaranteed way to win in the NFL. I'm intruiged by this: if I'm a G.M. and coach looking at what the Bills have - a good secondary capable of lots of picks, solid 3-4 DE's, solid linebackers save for maybe another OLB. On defense we need a NT to pair with K. Williams and another good OLB. If we had that and they stayed healthy, we should have a really solid defense. Now, ever since the Giants beat N.E. in the superbowl, and I remember us beating N.E. at home once - and what we had in common were constant QB pressure. For that matter, most teams offenses can be shut down with a dominant performance by the opposition's D-line.

Now, you look at our O-line. We've got potential in our interior, and a potential in backup tackles. We've got solid RB's. If we could pick up two good tackles, or one really good one and another decent one, and maybe another really good guard - say we picked up a star LT in the 1st, one of the best Guards in the 2nd, and a very capable RT in the 3rd; then, we could plug in the tackles and the guard, move Wood to center and have, potentially, one of the best lines in the NFL.

What I'm thinking is: we've seen how a really good offense or defense can take over a game. We've seen how important good running games and good defenses are in the postseason, and especially in Western New York in the winter.

Theoretically, we could spend our first for or five picks - maybe trade up once or twice, and really solidify at least our Defense, and maybe both... So, why not just go crazy drafting as many people to finally put together a really nasty 1. Defense, or 2. Offensive line, and either try shutting people down and winning like Baltimore did that year with Dilfer, or by running it down people's throats and letting Edwards or Brohm dink and dunk it - it's not as if our Defense will be the worst in the league if we don't grab a NT with the 9 pick.

So, I'm here agreeing that if we spent this season just solidifying our lines, then we could do some damage and at least have that taken care of so next year we can fill the QB and WR positions as needed.

We need OL AND QB. Take the best player available at #9 but tie goes to the QB. You gotta have a good QB if you want to be good. Our OL should be better because we should get some decent guys in the draft. Plus we signed a couple of guys. Plus all our guys who got hurt last year will be back. Plus we now have an offensive minded coach who says he will maximize what he has. Last year we had a line that could run block pretty well, but our coaches wanted to pass 70% of the time and our guys couldn't pass block.

I think we can improve our OL a lot this year AND take Clausen at 9 if he's there. I don't think he will be, but if he is, pull the trigger fast.

Our run blocking was a bit better than our pass blocking, but not much better. The line was just awful last year, and if you doubt it, check profootballfocus.com and look at the stats of our o-line guys.

I woul like to know why people say we are no addressing the lines when we are......

- Last year we drafted 1 DE with our first (ok....they tried to play him a DE...now he is a OLB) then went to the OG positions with high picks......the O an D lines ARE being addressed. We went out into free agency and got a prototype DE.

- If you dont use your 1st round pick this year on a O or D linemen this year that does not mean it isnt being addressed.......you have the opportunity to ge a potential franchise QB at 9, can either take a OT or trade for Gaither in the 2nd round, then can take a DT like Cam Thomas in he 3rd round......

That is just as good a plan as any

Yeah, but again, Gaither isn't going to be available. That was all fever dreams. The Ravens have every reason to hold onto him and not reason to get rid of him.

Forget about Gaither and concentrate on realistic opitions, stuff that might actually happen.

I know there is no guaranteed way to win in the NFL. I'm intruiged by this: if I'm a G.M. and coach looking at what the Bills have - a good secondary capable of lots of picks, solid 3-4 DE's, solid linebackers save for maybe another OLB. On defense we need a NT to pair with K. Williams and another good OLB. If we had that and they stayed healthy, we should have a really solid defense. Now, ever since the Giants beat N.E. in the superbowl, and I remember us beating N.E. at home once - and what we had in common were constant QB pressure. For that matter, most teams offenses can be shut down with a dominant performance by the opposition's D-line.

Now, you look at our O-line. We've got potential in our interior, and a potential in backup tackles. We've got solid RB's. If we could pick up two good tackles, or one really good one and another decent one, and maybe another really good guard - say we picked up a star LT in the 1st, one of the best Guards in the 2nd, and a very capable RT in the 3rd; then, we could plug in the tackles and the guard, move Wood to center and have, potentially, one of the best lines in the NFL.

What I'm thinking is: we've seen how a really good offense or defense can take over a game. We've seen how important good running games and good defenses are in the postseason, and especially in Western New York in the winter.

Theoretically, we could spend our first for or five picks - maybe trade up once or twice, and really solidify at least our Defense, and maybe both... So, why not just go crazy drafting as many people to finally put together a really nasty 1. Defense, or 2. Offensive line, and either try shutting people down and winning like Baltimore did that year with Dilfer, or by running it down people's throats and letting Edwards or Brohm dink and dunk it - it's not as if our Defense will be the worst in the league if we don't grab a NT with the 9 pick.

So, I'm here agreeing that if we spent this season just solidifying our lines, then we could do some damage and at least have that taken care of so next year we can fill the QB and WR positions as needed.

Man, you have got to stop drinking the Kool-Aid. Our LBs are solid? Save for MAYBE another OLB? Man, our LBs are pure guesswork. They might well be awful in this defense. Maybin may possibly work out. Possibly. And thinking that all our last years DEs will be fine and dandy as LBs is dreaming. Andra Davis is a decent guy, nothing special. We have major needs there, most likely.

Our DEs are fine? We have one guy who's ever played DE, and he's never been on our team.

Our interior OL is fine? You do know that we didn't have any lineman except for Butler in the top 70% of all linemen last year, according to profootballfocus, the best spot for evaluating linemen. Our backup tackles are fine? You mean the ones who were horrible last year as starters? The ones who should never see the field without massive improvements? How is that considered fine?

I won't even start on the QBs.

Seriously, when you have guys who have never played the position and guys who have played, but badly, that's not a "we'll be fine" situation. We're rebuilding.

Yeah, I think this is the way to go: build the foundation now.

It may not make the Bills a Superbowl team this year, but it will begin the process of moving us in that direction.

To me, the rest is secondary now; we should get a receiver, maybe a tight end, and the rest should go to the offensive line and the defensive front 7.

We will have two young lines, starting to build depth as well, and, then, in the next few years we could get our skill positions in order. But with better lines, the entire team should begin to look better soon.

Build the base--and then get the rest. Because we all know that without great lines, we will never have a great team.

I agree with pretty much all of what you said. I didn't mean simply value chart. We have so many needs I hate to see us give up a second and third this year to move up for Okung. We won't be able to get any other top talent, and with all of our holes, I can't see justifying that. Now, here's a dream scenario. Buffalo is able to get Bulaga or Trent Williams at 9, Terrence Cody at 41 and Linval Joseph in the third. Buffalo needs two NTs and Cody and Joseph serve different purposes and that would be a hell of a rotation at NT. Then you get the LT we need plus filling the NT rotation.

Never going to happen but that would be a hell of a draft for the DL and OL. Here's to wishful thinking.

I said this before, How about trading Lynch and our first to Detroit for Peterson and there first. Draft Okung with that pick. Okung is the only sure thing at left tackle in the draft.

Last 18 Superbowl winners:

Brees

Roethlisberger

E. Manning

P. Manning

Roethlisberger

Brady

Brady

Brad Johnson

Brady

Dilfer

Warner

Elway

Elway

Favre

Aikman

Young

Aikman

Aikman

A total of 3 (E. Manning, B. Johnson, Dilfer) that are unlikely to make the Hall of Fame.

3 out of 18.

Thank you for your time.

I said this before, How about trading Lynch and our first to Detroit for Peterson and there first. Draft Okung with that pick. Okung is the only sure thing at left tackle in the draft.

For that matter, why don't we just trade Aaron Schobel to Indy for Peyton Manning...I'm sure they'd do that.

Our run blocking was a bit better than our pass blocking, but not much better. The line was just awful last year, and if you doubt it, check profootballfocus.com and look at the stats of our o-line guys.

To a man, our OL wasn't very good, but our run blocking was actually pretty decent. I mean, we ranked 16th in the league in yards per game and 8th in the league in yards per carry.

I realize that some of that is Fred Jackson making something out of nothing, but Buffalo's adjusted blocking stats were actually well above average:

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

As I've mentioned to you before, thurman, I like Football Outsiders' better for analysis of performance by the line as a whole, whereas PFF is a good resource for individual line performance (especially in pass blocking).

Last 18 Superbowl winners:

Brees

Roethlisberger

E. Manning

P. Manning

Roethlisberger

Brady

Brady

Brad Johnson

Brady

Dilfer

Warner

Elway

Elway

Favre

Aikman

Young

Aikman

Aikman

A total of 3 (E. Manning, B. Johnson, Dilfer) that are unlikely to make the Hall of Fame.

3 out of 18.

Thank you for your time.

No doubt we need a good quarterback, but what I am saying is that without a good offensive line, a great quarterback will not mean very much--and, just as importantly, will not develop, no matter his talent level.

You can also make a simliar list of great quartebacks that matches the one you have here, but have never even been to the Superbowl because they didn't have the base of the team in order, the lines.

And you're welcome!

Yeah, I think this is the way to go: build the foundation now.

It may not make the Bills a Superbowl team this year, but it will begin the process of moving us in that direction.

To me, the rest is secondary now; we should get a receiver, maybe a tight end, and the rest should go to the offensive line and the defensive front 7.

We will have two young lines, starting to build depth as well, and, then, in the next few years we could get our skill positions in order. But with better lines, the entire team should begin to look better soon.

Build the base--and then get the rest. Because we all know that without great lines, we will never have a great team.

The problem with that scenario is that you have a perennial decent team: say between 7-9 and maybe 10-6. Given that record, when are we going to get a franchise QB? We'll always be drafting in the 15-20 range. You'll have to be extremely lucky for a franchise QB that late. (Green Bay looks to be very lucky, but then again what pick was JP?) We may have that opportunity now.

If not now? When? IMHO when you suck, swing for the fences. QB first, then the lines. And I still think you can upgrade both our lines with second and third round picks. But I don't want the 3rd or 4th best Left Tackle, or even 3rd best DL with the #9 pick.

And please, if we're not going to pick a QB with the first pick, please don't take one in the second. I could live with an O-line, D-line combo in round 1 and 2. But I don't want a project QB with the second pick. That's another mediocre QB at best. And we're still stuck in the 7 to 10 range. Never a threat to go deep into the playoffs.