Getting my pool back into shape.....when

We had a pool growing up that was cement. It was built in the 50's. My dad would completely drain it every so often to paint it. I remember skateboarding in it one year. There is a creek that runs right behind the pool and it flooded it one year. My brother (who now owns the property) drained it even though our dad told him not to. I creek flooded again and the pool popped out of the ground. It is now a swampy frog pond. :thumbsup:

Why did your brother drain it and not fill it right back up after the maint. was done??? I never heard a Gunite pool popping out... You always see them empty at the parks during the winter... Must have been the creek thing you mentioned... Didn't the creek fill the pool and hold it down??

Why did your brother drain it and not fill it right back up after the maint. was done??? I never heard a Gunite pool popping out... You always see them empty at the parks during the winter... Must have been the creek thing you mentioned... Didn't the creek fill the pool and hold it down??

He drained it to clean it and he didn't finish cleaning it. And then the creek flooded that night while it was empty got underneath it a popped it out. Lots and lots of childhood memories died with that pool. The creek was eroding towards the pool and it would have gone in the creek eventually anyway but it's hard to go back in the summer and see it now.

He drained it to clean it and he didn't finish cleaning it. And then the creek flooded that night while it was empty got underneath it a popped it out. Lots and lots of childhood memories died with that pool. The creek was eroding towards the pool and it would have gone in the creek eventually anyway but it's hard to go back in the summer and see it now.

Wow... Too bad and sad. What creek was it? Where is the Corps with errosion control when you need it! :devil::D

Anyway... Seems brothers have a nasty habit of doing things. My brother took over a car my father was babying for years... He forgot to add coolant and blew the thing up! :thumbsup:

Wow... Too bad and sad. What creek was it? Where is the Corps with errosion control when you need it! :devil::D

Anyway... Seems brothers have a nasty habit of doing things. My brother took over a car my father was babying for years... He forgot to add coolant and blew the thing up! :thumbsup:

My dad had tried to get the Amy Corps to fix that erosion problem for years. He still bitches about it today.

I am gonna simplify it a bit... Please don't fault my numbers... I am ballparking a bit. I have a water softener... So I know my average daily water consumption for a family of four. That number is about 200-250 gallons a day... Sometime higher, sometimes lower. For argument I will say 225.

My water bill and sewage is around 90 bucks every 3 months.

So:

That is 90 days x 225 gallons = 20,250 gallons.

That 20 1/4k is not too far off of that 25k gallons you use.

Even if I double my water bill... Do you spend more than 200 dollars in chemicals? Even that, some villages even give you a cut rate for filling a pool.

I spend less than $200 a season on chemicals. Even if I drained and cleaned the pool, and then refilled the 25K gallons I would still have to spend money to maintain a clean pool. If you can keep it clean. it is easy and not expensive to maintain.

Extreme water problems are a nightmare to reverse!

I have the concrete/gunnite walls that get stained over time; I would love to drain it to put in a liner or paint it, purely for aesthetics.