Do you think Gailey can change Trent?

Big Ben and Aaron Rodgers were both sacked 50 times each which tied for tops in the NFL by far. BB missed one game and Rodgers played all 16. There are guys that can take a hit and there a guys like Trent who are injury prone. The problem with Trent is that he won't make tough throws which win games AND he's fragile.

I don't think he's gay and calling him a panty waste is just silly. Did you go to the Dallas Monday nighter? I never realized that Romo rhymed with homo before that game! It ain't my style but fan is short for fanatic so relax.

Both those QB's and teams have been very lucky so far, and what happens when they get the hit that knocked out Tom Brady or Carson Palmer?

Besides, you simply can't equate the O lines that Pitt and GB had to the Buffalo Bills line last season as both those QB's get way better protection most of the time. Their sacks are usually the result of them moving around in the pocket waiting for a receiver to break open.

The Bills QB's had very little pocket protection, much less a floating pocket. Edwards was under constant duress and could wait until hell froze over before one of the Bills receivers are able to be open.

The entire offense was run by people who stunk at their jobs, that is why they are all elsewhere and in a lower positions then the one they had in Buffalo. Turk Schonert isn't even in the NFL anymore, what does that say to you?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both those QB's and teams have been very lucky so far, and what happens when they get the hit that knocked out Tom Brady or Carson Palmer?

Everything is an excuse with Trent fans. If you are seriously going to argue that a guy who has a track record of being hurt every year that dates back to college is not injury prone then we are going to have to agree to disagree . But to compare Trents injuries to Brady's and Palmer's, where they had their knees exploded by diving defenders is ridiculous. Some guys are just more durable than others and some are just more fragile and that is the bottom line. Unfortunately, Trent is of the fragile kind and there is no way to argue that.

And Trents had time but he won't pull the trigger! What have you seen in Trent that makes you think he can be a good QB? The fact that he won't throw the ball down the middle of the field? The fact that he struggles getting the ball to the sidelines? The fact that his progressions go from 1 to 4? What do you see in this guy that makes you believe in him?

Okay, I did not mention arm strength. As for mobility, you think a 40 time represents that?

How about this stat: sacks

Fitzpatrick 21 in 10 games

Edwards 23 in 8 games

Not to mention Edwards is classified as a prototypical pocket QB. Mobility is NOT his strength.

"not cocky, but confident", and "California mellow" are polite ways of saying the guy lacks a sack and is afraid to take chances.

And clutch: the first 4 games of 2008, Edwards scored 3 4th quarter TDs and 1 3rd quarter TD. That's it. And only 2 of those scores were done when the Bills were "behind".

And the combined record of those 4 teams? 16 wins and 48 losses.

Maybe if Edwards was a little more "cocky" during the game, we wouldn't be so "impressed" with his "clutch".

Doubt it. He's basically playing the same way he did in 2007. People are just looking for an excuse to explain his "sudden" poor play. Edwards "flaws" have become more prevalent, because defenses have figured out how to exploit those flaws.

Funny, people used to say the same thing about Jauron. As we found out, it was not silent "confidence" Jauron was exhibiting, it was silent "clueless".

Interesting. If we listened to the Trent lovers before the season started, they were absolutely giddy with TO (he was going to pull the double team off Evans, can't cover both, etc...), they loved the fact the Bills were running the no huddle (remember the BS about how the no huddle was going to make it easier for the young OL to block?), and how the no huddle would put the play calling in Edwards hands (an alleged strength). 8 weeks and a benching later, now the same people are complaining how Edwards was bogged down with such a crappy offense, and how he has not gotten a fair chance. (Yet, to the same people, Fitz playing in 10 games = fair chance).

As for Terrell, people also seem to gloss over the fact that Josh Reed was caught on camera complaining to the coaching staff about Edwards and his inability to read the field.

All valid points...I'll give that to you...many fans were drooling at T.O. and I was definitely one of them...should have openned up the underneath routes...which it did and landed Edwards the Captain Check Down nickname...also an above 60 comp percentage...but that wasn't good enough...we were losing still...and after week three our line was in shambles...

The sack thing you posted only tells me in 16 games our QB's were sacked over 40 times...did Edwards get sacked more?...yes, but he had D Bell instead of Jonathan Scott which IMHO was bull...and Meredith out played Bell as well...both later in the season after they had gained thier bearings...at any rate...both QB's ended up on thier butts far too often...

And T.O. has been on camera pointing out the QB everywhere, that should hold no water...he said McNabb sucks, Romo sucks among others...so...that doesn't mean anything but T.O. is just T.O.

Edwards still hasn't had a "fair" chance...he's not played enough to merrit a "bust" tag or a "star" tag...the jury is still out but we've seen...well most of us that are watching has seen that TE has the tools...can he develop into a superstar?...I believe he can...two seasons is not long enough...not everyone is Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco...

Edwards still hasn't had a "fair" chance...he's not played enough to merrit a "bust" tag or a "star" tag...the jury is still out but we've seen...well most of us that are watching has seen that TE has the tools...can he develop into a superstar?...I believe he can...two seasons is not long enough...not everyone is Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco...

I am speechless. You believe he can be a superstar?!?!? Dude, I'm having trouble falling asleep tonight, can I take a few rips off that bong that you're hogging so I can fall asleep! At what moment or game has he shown that he can be a superstar?!? Wow.

OK so what we have now is Trent, Fitz and Brohm. Per Nevergiveup, we might have Trent as QB next year.

Can The Chan fix what we have?? We know what we have in Fitz, he is a decent but not great backup and can win a couple of games if the starter gets hurt.

But right now I am unsure he can get Trent back to were he was before the Arizona game in 08.

If Chan can get Edwards to play at a decent level IMO it will be one of great coaching jobs in recent years. I think he would have a better shot at coaching Brohm up, at least he tried to get the ball to his wideouts in the one game he played.

what do y'all think???

Everybody is so down on Trent & says he can't get it down field go to youtube and check out Trent Edwards Highlight Mix if Gailey can get a good OL in front of him so he knows he's not going to get crusifide each time he drops back he can be a really good QB , he just needs a confidence booster the dude has got to be shell shocked & i don't blame him with the siv of a OL he had to work behind . Just check out his 2008 season high lights & see the difference with a half way decent line . But leave it to Jauron to trade or just let people walk & not bring in any experience line man so he can screw up another possible QB prospect . If we should be pissed we are pissed at the wrong people . We may have had 2 QB's that under the right coach may have been able to be decent in the NFL but were ruined before they hit there stride all thanks to one coach's decisions .In 2006 Losman threw for 3057 yard & was the 11th highest QB in the league by 08 his confidence was trashed (Jaurons coaching) 2008 Edwards was a up & comer led us to 4 or 5 -- 4th quarter come backs & had the team & fans believing in him too (in steps great head coach) LET'S GET RID OF THE WHOLE OL & START ALL OVER BRILLIANTS !!! :lol: Let Gailey do his thing & i think we'll all jump back on the wagon .

I am speechless. You believe he can be a superstar?!?!? Dude, I'm having trouble falling asleep tonight, can I take a few rips off that bong that you're hogging so I can fall asleep! At what moment or game has he shown that he can be a superstar?!? Wow.

The first time I seen him start he completed like 80 percent of his passes for 235 yards...I knew at that moment he has what it takes...a first time guy in his rookie year just doesn't do that if he sucks...Matt Ryan didn't throw for over 200 hundred yards until his sixth start and never threw more than two td's his rookie season...and got rookie of the year...Edwards tossed 4 tds against miami his rookie season...I'm not saying Ryan isnt better than Edwards...I'm just pointing out that there are few young QB's that have done things that Trent has and I believe THAT is a sign that he CAN be a superstar given the chance

Everybody is so down on Trent & says he can't get it down field go to youtube and check out Trent Edwards Highlight Mix if Gailey can get a good OL in front of him so he knows he's not going to get crusifide each time he drops back he can be a really good QB , he just needs a confidence booster the dude has got to be shell shocked & i don't blame him with the siv of a OL he had to work behind . Just check out his 2008 season high lights & see the difference with a half way decent line . But leave it to Jauron to trade or just let people walk & not bring in any experience line man so he can screw up another possible QB prospect . If we should be pissed we are pissed at the wrong people . We may have had 2 QB's that under the right coach may have been able to be decent in the NFL but were ruined before they hit there stride all thanks to one coach's decisions .In 2006 Losman threw for 3057 yard & was the 11th highest QB in the league by 08 his confidence was trashed (Jaurons coaching) 2008 Edwards was a up & comer led us to 4 or 5 -- 4th quarter come backs & had the team & fans believing in him too (in steps great head coach) LET'S GET RID OF THE WHOLE OL & START ALL OVER BRILLIANTS !!! :lol: Let Gailey do his thing & i think we'll all jump back on the wagon .

How about watching the games and skip the highlight film?

The first time I seen him start he completed like 80 percent of his passes for 235 yards...I knew at that moment he has what it takes...a first time guy in his rookie year just doesn't do that if he sucks...Matt Ryan didn't throw for over 200 hundred yards until his sixth start and never threw more than two td's his rookie season...and got rookie of the year...Edwards tossed 4 tds against miami his rookie season...I'm not saying Ryan isnt better than Edwards...I'm just pointing out that there are few young QB's that have done things that Trent has and I believe THAT is a sign that he CAN be a superstar given the chance

And what has he done since? NOTHING! Trent's rookie year was 3 years ago and that is what you are going on? Does it say anything to you that not one player came to his defense last year when he was benched for Fitz? Fewell is a very good coach who schemes against QB's for a living and he thought the Bills had more of a chance to win with Fitz at QB. Trent's ship has sailed just like his deep throws.

I don't think fix is the proper term to use. I think the hope is that Gailey can cover up his flaws and boost his confidence to allow him to do what he does well. If they ran the ball consistently, added some playmakers (figured out how to use Parish, if it can be done and maybe draft a "water-bug" type player) Trent would be fine. He's probably not going to be throwing bombs all day, so Gailey will have to find a way to allow him to make quick reads on short to mid range throws and let the receivers make plays after the catch. Lee can do it. Roscoe should be able to do it (though admittedly hasn't yet). Nelson should be able to do it. And add one more player from the draft at the RB position (see water-big player from above) and that has potential. Obviously the key is for Gailey to make it work, but I thin that might "fix" Trent.

Gailey seems to always get more out of his QB's than others can, however at some point to win big in the NFL you have to get a QB that is capable of becoming an elite player, and the Bills clearly don't have that...

Everything is an excuse with Trent fans. If you are seriously going to argue that a guy who has a track record of being hurt every year that dates back to college is not injury prone then we are going to have to agree to disagree . But to compare Trents injuries to Brady's and Palmer's, where they had their knees exploded by diving defenders is ridiculous. Some guys are just more durable than others and some are just more fragile and that is the bottom line. Unfortunately, Trent is of the fragile kind and there is no way to argue that.

And Trents had time but he won't pull the trigger! What have you seen in Trent that makes you think he can be a good QB? The fact that he won't throw the ball down the middle of the field? The fact that he struggles getting the ball to the sidelines? The fact that his progressions go from 1 to 4? What do you see in this guy that makes you believe in him?

I'm more of a Dick Jauron+ Turk Schonert hater then I am a TE lover.

Let me ask two questions to see where you stand, how would you rate the Bills offensive coaches over the last 4 years?

How would you rate the offensive line the last four years?

If you graduate from a college and then get a job that requires training and are trained by morons at that job, how well do you think you would perform doing your job?

Do you think that somehow you magically obtain the proper information to help you do your job, maybe osmosis?

Big Ben and Aaron Rodgers didn't magically start playing great their first games. Big Ben got to sit in a nice pocket and hand the ball off to Jerome Bettis his first year while he learned his craft, throwing maybe 20-25 passes a game. He wasn't forced to try and win every game he was in. Rodgers got to sit a few years and learn the west coast offensive behind Brett Farve.

Coaching is everything IMO. Like I stated earlier, lets see what kind of offense Gailey builds in Buffalo, lets see what Gailey can do with the QB's he has.