Off Topic - Syracuse

Syracuse plays down to their opponents and is famous for it. When they want to play and run there offense they are unstoppable. But Jimmy B has Marv Levy idis and does not discipline or run a tough program. But what can you do.

I think the turning point for the game was the inbound with 2 minutes to go when Cuse was up 4. Again a terrible throw in that gets picked off and goes the other way for 2, then Butler proceeds to score 10 un answered. It was there night and some times thats how the ball bounces. Like the 3 pointer from the baseline that touched both sides of the rim then banked and went in. But our effort in transition was stopped cold by there hustle at the point defensively. There is no doubt we had the better team, just not tonight.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched every Syracuse game this year and I even got to attend a closed practice. Last nights game was a picture perfect example of what happens when you lose your poise in a tournament. I knew 3 minutes in that they were probably going to lose. They were extremely tight and seemed focused on not making mistakes instead of playing basketball.

Yes the loss of AO hurt but that wasn't the reason they lost the game. Their 1st two games gave them a sense of overconfidence and they panicked when the game was close. They lost because they lack discipline. Ricky Jackson went full retard last night and couldn't seem to stop throwing the ball out of bounds. Rautins has been amazing this year but took a couple of really bad shots and Scoop Jardine tried to win by himself.

My biggest criticism though is the fact that this team was unable to play man 2 man defense this year. They lived and died by the zone and teams have learned how to exploit it. When you can only do one thing teams will find your weakness and hammer you to death. Petino gave everyone a roadmap, Butler followed it.

It's a shame because this was one of the more talented teams Boeheim's had in a while. That said, JB looked tired last night. I'm wondering how long before Hopkins takes over?

There is nothing wrong with the zone as long as you have the big man in the middle, which we did not.

Syracuse plays down to their opponents and is famous for it. When they want to play and run there offense they are unstoppable. But Jimmy B has Marv Levy idis and does not discipline or run a tough program. But what can you do.

I think the turning point for the game was the inbound with 2 minutes to go when Cuse was up 4. Again a terrible throw in that gets picked off and goes the other way for 2, then Butler proceeds to score 10 un answered. It was there night and some times thats how the ball bounces. Like the 3 pointer from the baseline that touched both sides of the rim then banked and went in. But our effort in transition was stopped cold by there hustle at the point defensively. There is no doubt we had the better team, just not tonight.

They played really poorly last night but "playing down to their opponents" is just silly. They CRUSHED Vermont and could have beaten them by 50. They stomped a good Gonzaga team. They just played awful last night.

I still don't think there's any way they beat Kentucky without AO and there was no way he'd be back.

They played really poorly last night but "playing down to their opponents" is just silly. They CRUSHED Vermont and could have beaten them by 50. They stomped a good Gonzaga team. They just played awful last night.

I still don't think there's any way they beat Kentucky without AO and there was no way he'd be back.

I was talking about through out the year Mike.

how many we's was that?

Butler is a good team that hasnt lost since Dec 22

I dont care what league they are in, thats pretty good so how about giving them some credit instead of trying to figure out how Syracuse blew it...maybe they just lost to the better team tonight

Well their best wins all year were Ohio St. at home without Evan Turner, and Xavier at home on a controversial finish. Other than that they lost to teams like Minnesota on neutral courts when they stepped out of conference. So yah, I'm going to say Cuse blew it.

Yes, you are right...I said "WE."

Syracuse is my team. I used to go to camp there EVERY summer. Met Bernie Fine and Jimmy Boeheim. Actually, I had many conversations with them during our down time at camp. Played Mike Hopkins 1 on 1, same with Jason Cipolla, Lazarus Sims and John Wallace.

Just as WE all talk about the Bills and Sabres, referring to "WE."

And no, if Onuaku was playing...WE would have WON that game. I take NOTHING away from Butler, they are a good team...however, Syracuse was the better team this year...just not tonight, because WE were missing OUR most dominant force in the paint. Not to mention...'Cuse had 19 turnovers and Kris Joseph only had 6 points. That was HUGE.

Syracuse LOST this game...Butler did not WIN it.

Don't come on here for the sake of starting an argument...I will refer to MY TEAMS however the !@#$ I want. Plus, it's not like my assessment of what Syracuse did wrong, IS wrong...I am completely on point.

Nice try! :rolleyes:

Nice try at what?

Syracuse lost to the better team last night, get over it and stop cryin'

I've watched every Syracuse game this year and I even got to attend a closed practice. Last nights game was a picture perfect example of what happens when you lose your poise in a tournament. I knew 3 minutes in that they were probably going to lose. They were extremely tight and seemed focused on not making mistakes instead of playing basketball.

Yes the loss of AO hurt but that wasn't the reason they lost the game. Their 1st two games gave them a sense of overconfidence and they panicked when the game was close. They lost because they lack discipline. Ricky Jackson went full retard last night and couldn't seem to stop throwing the ball out of bounds. Rautins has been amazing this year but took a couple of really bad shots and Scoop Jardine tried to win by himself.

My biggest criticism though is the fact that this team was unable to play man 2 man defense this year. They lived and died by the zone and teams have learned how to exploit it. When you can only do one thing teams will find your weakness and hammer you to death. Petino gave everyone a roadmap, Butler followed it.

It's a shame because this was one of the more talented teams Boeheim's had in a while. That said, JB looked tired last night. I'm wondering how long before Hopkins takes over?

What were they - 6 for 24 from 3? And you're blaming the zone...ok. Funny how nobody blames a coach for not playing zone when they go M2M the whole game and give up 63 pts.

What were they - 6 for 24 from 3? And you're blaming the zone...ok. Funny how nobody blames a coach for not playing zone when they go M2M the whole game and give up 63 pts.

Of the 24 3 pointers they attempted last night at least 10 were ill advised, almost desperation style shots. Rautins was blanketed all night and at the end seemed to be forcing his shot.

Lets be clear though, the zone isn't the reason they lost. They lost because they didn't take care of the basketball. My comment was directed at the team overall, I just don't like one defense an entire season because you played m2m poorly against LeMoyne.

bottom line. this team played only 7. that's a lot of minutes for 7 guys to play, with a big east schedule and an rpi of 5. when ao got hurt, that increased the minutes of the other 6, and changed their roles (rautins was playing on the blocks in the zone), even though Riley gave them a decent 12 minutes. Even with ao they were beginning to wear down at seasons end. without him they were gassed and when a team like butler came out and attacked them defensively like they did, cuse was a step slower. 20+ turnovers says it all. they fought hard, but they just didn't have anything left.

Playing only 6 deep yesterday was probably why they lost. If AO was healthy, do you think Jackson would have even been in the building on a night like he had? Fact is, JB had to leave these guys in even when they were playing sloppy.

For Mike in Syracuse, I get it. You're in CNY. (I am too, but still consider myself a lifelong Buffalonian). Maybe Byrd's da word is too, I don't know.

For the rest, what the hell difference does it make?? Go to a damn UB game. The only reason you care about Syracuse basketball from a distance is because they win consistently. Gotta be. Or you're an alum. Otherwise, there are four D-I teams in your backyard. Not "big-time" enough you say? Well, after Butler, the rest of the Horizon League looks alot like the MAC ... or the MAAC. A-10, St. Bonaventure's league, had a great year.

And all this "upstate new york will never win" crap ... it's just college basketball. Just because grannies and little kids everywhere fill out brackets doesn't increase its importance. Take last year's team: yes, Flynn was a transcendent star; Devendorf and Harris are pumping gas. Same with McNamara (wait, he's selling cars). No sniff of the NBA (the only basketball league that matters) for any of them.

Try caring about lacrosse if it means that damn much to you. (I've tried, but can't). They win all the time.

Having said all that, yes, Butler did win the game. They withstood the Orange's second-half run to take the lead and that little guard neutralized Rautins as best he could. Jackson was awful, but Orange looked out of whack from the start. It's unfortunate, but it's over. Only one team gets a shining moment.

For Mike in Syracuse, I get it. You're in CNY. (I am too, but still consider myself a lifelong Buffalonian). Maybe Byrd's da word is too, I don't know.

For the rest, what the hell difference does it make?? Go to a damn UB game. The only reason you care about Syracuse basketball from a distance is because they win consistently. Gotta be. Or you're an alum. Otherwise, there are four D-I teams in your backyard. Not "big-time" enough you say? Well, after Butler, the rest of the Horizon League looks alot like the MAC ... or the MAAC. A-10, St. Bonaventure's league, had a great year.

And all this "upstate new york will never win" crap ... it's just college basketball. Just because grannies and little kids everywhere fill out brackets doesn't increase its importance. Take last year's team: yes, Flynn was a transcendent star; Devendorf and Harris are pumping gas. Same with McNamara (wait, he's selling cars). No sniff of the NBA (the only basketball league that matters) for any of them.

Try caring about lacrosse if it means that damn much to you. (I've tried, but can't). They win all the time.

Having said all that, yes, Butler did win the game. They withstood the Orange's second-half run to take the lead and that little guard neutralized Rautins as best he could. Jackson was awful, but Orange looked out of whack from the start. It's unfortunate, but it's over. Only one team gets a shining moment.

Jerry Mac was coaching last night on the Cuse bench, or did you not see that?

I don't get this post. I grew up in Rochester; does that mean I can't cheer for the Bills? Or SU sports? WNY is not that provincial.

Cliff Notes:

A) College hoops is stupid. Unless you root for the school in the same city as your fav. pro team (be sure to send this memo to UNC and Arizona fans).

B) Let me try to analyze something I don't watch or like or know anything about.

:D:rolleyes:

As for not caring about NCAAB, clearly you're not alone in Buffalo, as WGR talks about it approximately never (unless Buffalo happens to be hosting games). And that's fine. Different regions have different tastes. Though if you want to play the 'national significance' game, it's a lot more popular than hockey.

Most of the Buffalo lifers couldn't care less that they lost - as you can see if you actually read the thread.

It's a big school and so they have a lot of alumns. And some people grow up 'Cuse rooting for the Bills. I don't know why we have to pretend like the majority of SU/Bills fans have spent their whole lives in Buffalo without any ties to CNY. Well actually I do know why - it's a good excuse to get on your lame soapbox.

I can't help but wonder if Jackson playing out of the position he was used to playing all year affected him in ways you wouldn't think and caused him to have fumbleitis. Kris Joesph aslo played very poor the last two games, maybe because he's use to coming in off the bench?? AO not being in the middle likely have opened up the zone just a little bit, but enough to make a difference in Bulters ability t ofind ope nshots

JB appears to play and coach and undisiplined style. How true that really is unknown. I do think though if JB was a real tough coach, many of the players he normally gets wouldn't go there. They like the ability to be free on offense, so you can't easily have it both ways.

I don't think Harris and Devo left as much as SU pushed them out the door. Likely they told Devo, enough of your yearly police encounters, you had your 4 years, you did graduate (God only knows how) It's time you go elsewhere and scare some other cities women and children. Harris I'm sure was told, you can come back, but you won't be starting, so he chose to leave.

BTW, anyone else see a picture of Devo's gf, man is she ugly! WOW!!

Cliff Notes:

A) College hoops is stupid. Unless you root for the school in the same city as your fav. pro team (be sure to send this memo to UNC and Arizona fans).

B) Let me try to analyze something I don't watch or like or know anything about.

:D:rolleyes:

As for not caring about NCAAB, clearly you're not alone in Buffalo, as WGR talks about it approximately never (unless Buffalo happens to be hosting games). And that's fine. Different regions have different tastes. Though if you want to play the 'national significance' game, it's a lot more popular than hockey.

Most of the Buffalo lifers couldn't care less that they lost - as you can see if you actually read the thread.

It's a big school and so they have a lot of alumns. And some people grow up 'Cuse rooting for the Bills. I don't know why we have to pretend like the majority of SU/Bills fans have spent their whole lives in Buffalo without any ties to CNY. Well actually I do know why - it's a good excuse to get on your lame soapbox.

Went back and re-read my post and there was no mention of hockey. Never said the game was stupid. I watch plenty of college basketball and know plenty about it. Rave on.

I don't get this post. I grew up in Rochester; does that mean I can't cheer for the Bills? Or SU sports? WNY is not that provincial.

Cheer for whoever you want. Makes no difference to me. Rochester has no D-I teams and no pro sports teams. Makes sense for someone from there to adopt Syracuse.

Jerry Mac was coaching last night on the Cuse bench, or did you not see that?

Saw it. He's some kind of unpaid assistant. Assistants are Mike Hopkins, Rob Murphy and Bernie Fine. His face is most often seen on car ads in Syracuse area.