Mike Lombardi- Bills are going nowhere with current QB's

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For every Byrd and Schoebel there is a James Hardy....

I will take McNabb

Really???? How come everyone is down on Hardy and labeling him a bust? The guy had a decent ROOKIE year. No rookie wide receiver does anything unless they are crazy fast (Desean Jackson).

Give the guy a non-injury starting season and see what he does. If he went to a good passing team this guy would be a force.

On Sirius radio with Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan, Mike Lombardi was talking about destinations for McNabb, and said that Buffalo should have been pursuing him months ago. Trent Edwards is leading them nowhere, and unless they're banking on Clausen being there at 9, there have nothing on their team that can excite the fan base and lead the team.

When they were talking about Clausen they said a lot of his stats came on crossing routes over the middle to Tate, and he doesn't show elite accuracy on downfield throws. Also questioned his leadership ability and commitment level.

All 3 hosts agreed the Bills are in the best position to make a move on McNabb, but if McNabb doesn't want to come here, he can pull a Richard Seymour and refuse to sign a long term deal...and unlike the Raiders, no other team would trade premium draft picks for a 1-year player.

Wow I wish I could make a living stating the obvious!

:blink:

I don't get it. Why would anyone be against McNabb? For the #41 pick? He could really help us start to turn in the right direction. Football is largely emotion. He'd help in that area. The team would believe more that they could win. A QB can make a big difference. Just ask the Vikings. They had been decent for several years, then Favre had them one play away from the Superbowl. We obviously aren't as good as the Vikings, and McNabb isn't Favre . . . BUT, you cannot tell me we wouldn't be a better team with McNabb as compared to the back up types we now have. We simply would be better with McNabb than without.

Really???? How come everyone is down on Hardy and labeling him a bust? The guy had a decent ROOKIE year. No rookie wide receiver does anything unless they are crazy fast (Desean Jackson).

Give the guy a non-injury starting season and see what he does. If he went to a good passing team this guy would be a force.

I think the point trying to be made there is that DM does more for the team now than a JH......

I couldn't agree more with everything you are saying about rebuilding and what the levy , brandon era left behined , but we are talking about 1 second round pick. If that is truly the price. 1 second round pick is not going to do much to speed up or slow down the rebuilding process. .

Do you think McNabb is going to sign an extension with the Bills? Of course not. He would if he was traded to the Vikings or Arizona. There is a very good likelihood that there will be a work stoppage next year. How much will you be getting out of him during that abreviated season, assuming that the season begins again?

There is a time when it is appropriate to add a veteran qb to the team. That time is when he is a missing piece to a team ready to win. The Kurt Warner acquisition in Arizona and the Favre addition to the Vikings would be good examples of that situation. That isn't the situation here. At this point the Bills are closer to being an expansion caliber team than a playoff contending team.

High draft picks should be a very valued commodity. That 2nd rd. pick which you are willing to trade could be an impactful player for the next five years or so. Do you remember giving up a first round pick for Bledsoe? He was on the downside of his career; and he showed that in his performance. In addition, whatever he brought to the table was wasted because even then our OL was porous.

The Bills need a legitimate rebuilding plan. What they don't need is a marketing plan that is used to promote the team at the expense of more quickly rebuilding the team.

I don't get it. Why would anyone be against McNabb? For the #41 pick? He could really help us start to turn in the right direction. Football is largely emotion. He'd help in that area. The team would believe more that they could win. A QB can make a big difference. Just ask the Vikings. They had been decent for several years, then Favre had them one play away from the Superbowl. We obviously aren't as good as the Vikings, and McNabb isn't Favre . . . BUT, you cannot tell me we wouldn't be a better team with McNabb as compared to the back up types we now have. We simply would be better with McNabb than without.

There are major differences in your comparison between the Favre situation and a potential McNabb acquisition. As you smartly pointed out the Vikings were a qb away from being SB contenders. That certainly is not the case here. What is also glaringly different is that Favre wanted to go to the Vikings and McNabb desperately doesn't want to be here. Would he sign a contract extension with us? No he would not. After one year he would be a unrestricted free agent who would leave. Do you think the cheap-ass Bills would slap a franchise tag on him and pay him at the exhorbitant franchise rate? Let's not get absurd.

No one is disputing the fact that McNabb will make the Bills a better team. But would he be able to get us into the playoffs? No. The Bills are the worst team in their own divsion with him and without him. Building the team through the draft takes time. But if done right and smartly then things can get turned around quicker than one might expect.

There are major differences in your comparison between the Favre situation and a potential McNabb acquisition. As you smartly pointed out the Vikings were a qb away from being SB contenders. That certainly is not the case here. What is also glaringly different is that Favre wanted to go to the Vikings and McNabb desperately doesn't want to be here. Would he sign a contract extension with us? No he would not. After one year he would be a unrestricted free agent who would leave. Do you think the cheap-ass Bills would slap a franchise tag on him and pay him at the exhorbitant franchise rate? Let's not get absurd.

No one is disputing the fact that McNabb will make the Bills a better team. But would he be able to get us into the playoffs? No. The Bills are the worst team in their own divsion with him and without him. Building the team through the draft takes time. But if done right and smartly then things can get turned around quicker than one might expect.

Did you think the Saints were more than a QB away when they got Brees? Did you think the Falcons were more than a QB away when they got Ryan? The Dolphins were 1-15 the year before they signed Pennington.

A significant upgrade at the most important position on the field can boost a team more than you're giving it credit for.

If you trade for McNabb, and draft a LT.....

You have 2 good RB's, a # 1 WR, a pro bowl QB....and a young, improving O-line.

The Bills have been 7-9 and 6-10 with Garbage at QB. They might be a McNabb away from being relevant again. Nobody is thinking they're 1 player away from the Super Bowl....but most of us would make the trade if it meant we would see the playoffs again. And once you get in, you just NEVER know. Ask the Jets. Ask the Ravens from 2008. Giants from 2007 and Steelers from 2005

Do you think McNabb is going to sign an extension with the Bills?

Without an extension I wouldn't give more than a 4th for him (if that)

There is a time when it is appropriate to add a veteran qb to the team. That time is when he is a missing piece to a team ready to win. The Kurt Warner acquisition in Arizona and the Favre addition to the Vikings would be good examples of that situation. That isn't the situation here. At this point the Bills are closer to being an expansion caliber team than a playoff contending team.

I agree with your broader point, but the teams not as bad as advertised. With a QB and a lineman or 2 there could be a quick turnaround. There is a lot of talent on this team that doesn't get to shine b/c of a few gaping holes at key positions.

High draft picks should be a very valued commodity. That 2nd rd. pick which you are willing to trade could be an impactful player for the next five years or so.

Although impactful is not a word, that's dead on accurate. We could get a solid pro to lock down an OT or DT position for 10 yrs with that pick. I wouldn't be so quick to trade it for what could be a one and done from an injury prone QB who can't handle pressure.

Do you remember giving up a first round pick for Bledsoe? He was on the downside of his career; and he showed that in his performance. In addition, whatever he brought to the table was wasted because even then our OL was porous.

Excellent point, Bledsoe made some magic here, but once the OL breaks down you're not going to get much out of a stationary QB. And even though he has legs, McNabb can't handle the pass rush w/o good protection, which the Bills are probably going to struggle early in the yr with.

I heard the commentary as well. Lombardi made a statement that seemed to criticize the Bills for not moving quickly and decisively on this opportunity.

Too quick and too decisive is often a bad negotiating strategy. Never be afraid to walk away from the table.

This team isn't going anywhere even if we had a pro bowl QB like Mcnabb back there with the garbage o-line we have. What good is it having him here for 1yr because he is never going to sign a extension. We need to stop looking for the short term quick fix and build this team from the ground up.

Buddy is going to make his money come draft day and this is a throwaway year both for the GM and HC in my opinion. This year is about making the transition to the 3-4 and identifying the long term answer at QB whether it is someone currently on the roster or not.

This team isn't going anywhere even if we had a pro bowl QB like Mcnabb back there with the garbage o-line we have. What good is it having him here for 1yr because he is never going to sign a extension. We need to stop looking for the short term quick fix and build this team from the ground up.

Buddy is going to make his money come draft day and this is a throwaway year both for the GM and HC in my opinion. This year is about making the transition to the 3-4 and identifying the long term answer at QB whether it is someone currently on the roster or not.

They have a lot of tape and should know by now whether the answer is currently on the roster. (hint-the answer is no). They don't have a "throw-away" year which is the big problem. They have to hold together what amounts to a fair to middling team, cure the offensive line and get a qb. I don't think there is a great qb in the draft and it seems from the pundits and the reports that there are a number of quality offensive and defensive linemen in the draft.

This 3-4 idea is confusing as it requires personnel moves in addition to those already needed in order to create the "in" defense in competition with all of the other "in" 3-4's which offenses have seen and played against and defended often enough that it doesn't promise much...but they have decided to go that route. Even with this hare- brained idea to fundamentally change the defensive structure, it is possible to get better quite quickly by a few aggressive personnel moves. McNabb would be one of them. They failed to move on any of the other real opportunities so I'm not all that optimistic about them being able or willing to pull this one off.

A team should never mail it in for one year in hopes for the following year, they should want to win every year. There are possibly no tomorrows in Buffalo with this team, Ralph could die at anytime. WIN NOW....get a proven QB!

If the proven guy doesn't want to finish his career with a rebuilding team, it ain't going to happen. If McNabb signs and extension, it's a no-brainer to give up a #2. If he won't, what's the point? Give up a #2 for one year? I have faith Buddy is doing what he can on this.

Thank for rehashin ad nauseum. We all know there is nothing exciting about this team. We get it. But, it aint like the Bills are a player or two or three from title contention. So, what would McNabb bring to this POS team? Even if the Bills head in the right direction plus sign McNabb, they're at least three full seasons from serious contention. By then McNabb will be 36-37 (depending on whether or not there is a season in 2011) and nothing left.

It's better that the Bills just focus on drafting good players, playing the young guys, and finishing 5-11 with them. At least they'll have a good shot at getting a much better QB next year than there is in this draft.

No one thought the Vikings were one player away, either. And they almost did it with a 40-year-old with a bad arm. I think McNabb puts us into the postseason immediately.