Patriots Sign Alge Crumpler

Okay, the Patriots lost Ben Watson and another tight end this offseason. So, what do they do? They quickly go get a decent veteran replacement in Alge Crumpler in free agency. Crumpler is considered only an average receiving threat, but is considered a 6th O-Lineman when it comes to blocking.

My question is: Since we have a bunch of unproven TEs on our roster, and it's been widely known that we've been trying to upgrade our TE position for years now, why did we not sign a guy like Crumpler? It just makes you really see the difference of the haves (Pats) vs. the have nots (Bills). They just quickly fill holes that pop up . . . we let them fester and don't ever fill them until the proverbial "next year". We create more holes that we can fill in one year EVERY year! Really frustrating at this point.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crumpler isn't all that...I'd rather have Ben Watson anyway...and it's easier for contenders to pick up FA's anyway...Porter wouldn't give us a second look...so, it's just the way it is...

I knew that a common response like "Crumpler isn't that great" was coming. That's not the point. I'm saying that the Pats go and fill holes, we don't bother much and are left with more holes than draft picks. Nobody can tell me that this roster couldn't have used a good blocking vet TE like Crumpler.

I knew that a common response like "Crumpler isn't that great" was coming. That's not the point. I'm saying that the Pats go and fill holes, we don't bother much and are left with more holes than draft picks. Nobody can tell me that this roster couldn't have used a good blocking vet TE like Crumpler.

did you read the whole thing...I also concluded that winning teams have a much easier time bringing in vets...porter wouldn't give us even a visit...that's just the way it goes.

^Damn you! Beat me to it!!

Why are you so sure the Bills weren't interested? Sometimes, guys choose other places. If your choices were the Bills or the Pats*, where would you sign?

Why are you so sure the Bills weren't interested? Sometimes, guys choose other places. If your choices were the Bills or the Pats*, where would you sign?

We never had him in for a visit like Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis. A guy will almost always go visit a team and see what kind of offer they might throw out. We showed no interest. I guess our TEs are so good that the front office doesn't see the need! Hilarious.

did you read the whole thing...I also concluded that winning teams have a much easier time bringing in vets...porter wouldn't give us even a visit...that's just the way it goes.

If there was a known bidding war between us and the Pats, I'd see your point. But that wasn't the case. Crumpler had been on the market long enough for us to show interest. We didn't.

I hear ya Bench and while lately he looks like he's been hitting the twinkies a lot, Crumpler is still a decent veteran TE who can block and catch (when he can get open, which isn't frequent). The bigger problem is there is so much turnover on this team, in the coaching and quarterback departments, that we really can't know what to expect on offense from one year to the next. Maybe Gailey and Nix have designs on minimizing tight end sets and opening up into the spread and didn't feel the need to pay a vet like Alge. Who knows because they are certainly not talking. Of course, based on Nix's recent comments, they don't even know who's QBing this team, what RBs are going to be on the roster, whether Hardy and Johnson will pan out as receiving options, etc. There isn't an offensive philosophy in place so how can they evaluate whether or not to take a shot with Crumpler?

why would a rebuilding team add a player like him who is pretty washed up anyway, I hear people scream to give the young kids a chance in other positions (like WR where we seem to be LOADED :thumbsup: ) but people want to keep the youngin's from playing at other positions, sign 30+yr ol vets I say screw the young kids...lame

Our need for TEs ls maybe, our 12th or 13th priotity ... maybe. Probably lower.

We pretty obviously value TEs largely for their blocking abilities, and we've got the guys to satisfy that need and we even have a guy we think may develop into a very good recieving TE in Nelson.

The Pats* and the Bills are also in totally different situations. We are rebuildng and are going nowhere next year. You might be one of those who refuse to believe this, but it's the way things are. Whereas N.E.* has a shot at a Super Bowl every year as long as Brady is there.

And yet ...

How many FAs have the Pats* signed from another team this year? Three. David Patten, Alge Crumpler and Marques Murrell. Wow. Man, look at all those superstars.

The Bills have signed four.

You have no complaint.

Okay, the Patriots lost Ben Watson and another tight end this offseason. So, what do they do? They quickly go get a decent veteran replacement in Alge Crumpler in free agency. Crumpler is considered only an average receiving threat, but is considered a 6th O-Lineman when it comes to blocking.

My question is: Since we have a bunch of unproven TEs on our roster, and it's been widely known that we've been trying to upgrade our TE position for years now, why did we not sign a guy like Crumpler? It just makes you really see the difference of the haves (Pats) vs. the have nots (Bills). They just quickly fill holes that pop up . . . we let them fester and don't ever fill them until the proverbial "next year". We create more holes that we can fill in one year EVERY year! Really frustrating at this point.

Did we have the chance to sign Crumpler a few years ago...glad we didn't again...probably for the same reason(s) plus a few years to his age.

Crumpler is old and slow. Have you seen him play the last couple of years?

We pretty obviously value TEs largely for their blocking abilities, and we've got the guys to satisfy that need and we even have a guy we think may develop into a very good recieving TE in Nelson.

The Pats* and the Bills are also in totally different situations. We are rebuildng and are going nowhere next year. You might be one of those who refuse to believe this, but it's the way things are. Whereas N.E.* has a shot at a Super Bowl every year as long as Brady is there.

And yet ...

How many FAs have the Pats* signed from another team this year? Three. David Patten, Alge Crumpler and Marques Murrell. Wow. Man, look at all those superstars.

You have no complaint.

True this. But this signing is odd. I hoped the Bills would sign him last year, but his play on the field showed his best days are behind him. What I find odd is the Pats* have more draft picks coming than any team, having 'earned' 3 more recently as compensatories. They garnered a boatload last off-season and it's scary how good they could continue to be with so many picks.

Why sign a washed up, fat, slow TE??

And yet ...

You have no complaint.

Since our O-line sucks, it's hard to make the argument that we have good blocking TEs.

Also, you can't argue that the pats are always on the verge of the SB and have few needs and at the same time claim that the Bills did a better job by hiring 4 JAGs instead of 3.

Crumpler is old and slow. Have you seen him play the last couple of years?

Another reason the Pats* sign aging vets much more often than other teams may also have to do with their supersecret "Rodney "HGH" Harrison training program". Just sayin'......

When Crumpler was a FA back in 2008, the Bills brought him in for a visit. He made it clear he didn't to play in Buffalo. That's why they didn't bring him in. No loss though since his receiving skills are almost non-existent and his blocking is eroding. He's better off on the Patriots, who at this stage are on the verge of the playoffs.

Since our O-line sucks, it's hard to make the argument that we have good blocking TEs.

Also, you can't argue that the pats are always on the verge of the SB and have few needs and at the same time claim that the Bills did a better job by hiring 4 JAGs instead of 3.

The o-line has five guys, lined up from LT to RT, who pretty much sucked last year, though the two rookies have a shot at being very good some day. If you really think that solid blocking TEs are going to make an OL like that into a good one, you probably figure that a lot of games come down to which team has the best waterboy. Our o-line problems were located at right and left tackle, and also had a lot to do with not a single guy ever having played that position for this team. It had virtually nothing to do with our TEs, who by all reports are pretty good blockers, Nelson excepted.

I didn't claim that the Bills did a better job by hiring 3 JAGs and one guy (Dwan Edwards) who was generally considered one of the top ten FAs than the Pats* did by signing 3 JAGs. I argued that anyone who argues that the Pats* are doing a great job with all their FAs and the Bills should do the same and run around signing guys left and right ... had misread reality.

The o-line has five guys, lined up from LT to RT, who pretty much sucked last year, though the two rookies have a shot at being very good some day. If you really think that solid blocking TEs are going to make an OL like that into a good one, you probably figure that a lot of games come down to which team has the best waterboy. Our o-line problems were located at right and left tackle, and also had a lot to do with not a single guy ever having played that position for this team. It had virtually nothing to do with our TEs, who by all reports are pretty good blockers, Nelson excepted.

I didn't claim that the Bills did a better job by hiring 3 JAGs and one guy (Dwan Edwards) who was generally considered one of the top ten FAs than the Pats* did by signing 3 JAGs. I argued that anyone who argues that the Pats* are doing a great job with all their FAs and the Bills should do the same and run around signing guys left and right ... had misread reality.

Come now, didn't you know that signing the rapidly-aging (he aspires to "JAG" status at this point) Crumpler would make-up for the loss of TE's Watson and Baker, much less DE's Green and Burgess, to go with losing Welker for the season? I mean, they're on the verge of the SB!

Maybe he didn't want to sign with the Bills... just a thought