Culpepper wants to play for the Bills

Numark

I would be ok with bringing him in to compete for the starting job. I would much prefer to see him over Trent or Fitz personally. Not much risk here, I mean let him battle for the job and see if he can contribute.

I actually think Brohm likely claims the job out of our 3 guys currently on the roster and thats what I would rather see happen. This is the year to see what you have in the kid, its not like we are likely going to be contending for much (unless we got someone like the caliber of McNabb) this year, so give him a shot and see what you have in him so we can see if we need to get a top QB prospect next year or acquire a QB via trade or FA.

So, if we have 4 guys on the roster, I would be concerened about that holding back Brohms potential development based on just losing more reps to a 4th QB...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But he and Buddy have also said they're going to bring in 4th QB. So as of today, yeah, just the 3. But hopefully they will find someone else better to bring in. Please no projects, unless it's Tebow.

It'd have to be someone worth more than a bag of footballs for me to care at this point. As far as I'm concerned, until they show it on the field, they're still a flaming chemical-tank-car-train-wreck.

I'd rather the current regime figure out what we actually have on the roster than have them bring in a stop gap. There is no one on the market that is a long term solution. As soon as a recognizable name pops up voices chime in about potential, whether past or unrealized. We already have that on the roster. If there is no one in the draft this year that the FO deems the next franchise QB, fill the other holes and wait 'til next year, and make due with what we have. Gailey built a serviceable offense around Tyler Thigpen, Kordell Stewart, and Jay Fiedler, among others. Would anyone in their right mind be clamoring for any of these names to be the future of this franchise? We're not going to the Superbowl in the foreseeable future, so take the time to build it right this time.

To follow up on my previous post, I give you Culpepper's post-Moss stats, which include the seven games he played before the knee injury in 2005:

27 starts, 477-808, 5,555 yards, 20 TD, 39 turnovers (32 INT, 7 FL), 71.67 passer rating.

To compare:

Trent Edwards: 23 starts, 506-826, 5,498 yds, 24 TD, 30 TO (25 INT, 5 FL), 77.9 rating.

Ryan Fitzpatrick: 23 starts, 424-734, 4,104 yds, 21 TD, 35 TO (27 INT, 8 FL), 67.7 rating.

J.P. Losman: 33 starts, 558-942, 6,211 yds, 33 TD, 51 TO (34 INT, 17 FL), 75.6 rating.

I'm not sure which is more frightening -- the stats of the current/recent Bills QBs, or the thought of bringing in Culpepper as an "upgrade."

I'm not sure which is more frightening -- the stats of the current/recent Bills QBs, or the thought of bringing in Culpepper as an "upgrade."

But what about his NAME? I recognize his name, and it's NOT currently on the Bill's roster, so he MUST be better, right? <_<

To follow up on my previous post, I give you Culpepper's post-Moss stats, which include the seven games he played before the knee injury in 2005:

27 starts, 477-808, 5,555 yards, 20 TD, 39 turnovers (32 INT, 7 FL), 71.67 passer rating.

To compare:

Trent Edwards: 23 starts, 506-826, 5,498 yds, 24 TD, 30 TO (25 INT, 5 FL), 77.9 rating.

Ryan Fitzpatrick: 23 starts, 424-734, 4,104 yds, 21 TD, 35 TO (27 INT, 8 FL), 67.7 rating.

J.P. Losman: 33 starts, 558-942, 6,211 yds, 33 TD, 51 TO (34 INT, 17 FL), 75.6 rating.

Those stats are pretty horrifying no doubt...but honestly, our QB's IMO have had more to work with as a whole than Culpepper in the post Moss era who also had to deal with a devastating knee injury that took away a big part of his game.

Since losing Moss, he really hasnt had any weapons to play with at all with the exception of the brief stint starting in Det where he outplayed Stafford in the preseason but still wasnt going to get a legit shot to keep the starting gig with all the money they were paying their rookie QB.

The scariest part of all that is that as bad as Culpepper was (and those stats were grossly effected by the terrible start before the knee injury if memory serves me) he still is more talented than either Fitz or Trent IMO. Thats not an endorsement really on Daunte, but more an indicator of how bad Trent and Fitz are as starters.

He only wants to play for us because he knows we will be stupid enough to play an old broken player. ie TO except this guy hit the wall 5 years ago.

Exactly. He was only good when Randy Moss would go and get his long throws. He's done.

I really could care less if he still had it or not, the guy has hands that are freakishly small and that does not bode well for Buffalo Decembers. He had a hard time holding on to the ball in Humid Miami of all places does anyone seriously think thats going to improve in temps below 40 degrees?

I don't know. The last 3 teams he's played for have been horrible. Miami when they were down, then the Raidahs (enough said) , and perennial NFL bottom feeder Detroit. People on here are willing to give Trent a pass because our team was so bad even Peyton Manning couldn't succeed here. So maybe that was Duante's problem too?

As far as him not being any good since he didn't have Moss to run under balls, we have a guy who that is his specialty, Lee Evans. And he's very good at it.

Not saying any of this is true, but just another way to look at things.

I say bring him in on the next bus, but that's just me.

Culpepper is a waste of time...he doesn't want to "play for the Bills" anyway...he wants to play period...it's too bad, I'm sure he's a nice enough guy...he's just not good enough...and to say he's better than TE or Fitzy...ugh...that's so crazy...he couldn't win the starting job off of TE if TE played with no arms

Couldn't hurt to bring him in for a workout, his resume is waaaaay better than anyone we have on the roster.

also, by comparrison, when we brought in bledsoe, everybody loved it, and we gave away some picks, statistically, esp if you look at qb rating, culpepper is better than bledsoe, so like I said, it couldnt hurt to at least give him a tryout, esp if they dont want to start a young qb this year.

Bledsoe's career QB rating: 77.1.

Culpepper's 2005-2009 (post-Moss) QB rating: 71.7.

thats an inaccurate sample, lori, 14 yrs vs 4 yrs, and was culpepper even a fulltime starter all 4 of those yrs.

2004:culpepper qb rating 110.9

bledsoe 76.6

bledsoe career high qb rating:87.7

culpepper career qb rating avg: 87.8

so with 5 p/t seasons included duante's rating is still better than bledsoe.

like I said, couldn't hurt to give him a tryout