"Hell no... I'm going to bed." - Buddy Nix

Chilly

See - Randy Moss. Good teams don't fall asleep at the wheel when an opportunity presents itself.

Well for starters, that deal was made well after the FA period opened. So talking about Nix sleeping the first night (morning, technically) of FA is moot. Second of all, given the low compensation (4th rounder), I can only assume that Moss told the Raiders that he wouldn't play for them anymore and would only accept a trade to the Patriots. They could have easily gotten more for him and traded him elsewhere.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want to talk about stupid posts? Please show me where, in my original post, I criticized Nix's strategy of not signing anyone at midnight. I have no clue where you got all this crap from.

Why would you even start a thread about Nix being asleep when the rest of the league is "wheeling and dealing"?

You are attempting to imply, that when the rest of the NFL is supposedly burning the midnight oil and competing to sign every free agent available, that somehow the new GM of the Bills (Nix) is too old, or too stupid to be doing the same thing as the other teams in the league and instead preferred to sleep.

IF that is not your point, then creating a thread posting that article makes absolutely no sense.

Why would you even start a thread about Nix being asleep when the rest of the league is "wheeling and dealing"?

You are attempting to imply, that when the rest of the NFL is supposedly burning the midnight oil and competing to sign every free agent available, that somehow the new GM of the Bills (Nix) is too old, or too stupid to be doing the same thing as the other teams in the league and instead preferred to sleep.

IF that is not your point, then creating a thread posting that article makes absolutely no sense.

Really? I sort of assumed that he posted it because he thought people might be interested in reading it. Silly me.

You are totally correct, Bluefire.

Red, you have to read a bit more carefully. I won't do a complete audit but when last I checked this post, there were three, maybe four negative comments about what Nix said. There are 58 posts so far.

In other words, the huge majority of people who posted on this thread had no problem with what Buddy Nix said. If you want to rail out, then take exception to what a specific poster said. Don't just indiscriminately throw a bomb into a crowd. We have too much of that going on around here as it is.

Again, it makes no sense to post an article that implies Nix is somehow asleep at the wheel if that is ALSO not the point you are trying to make. The original post made no effort to separate the two, claimed Graham to be a hack writer, or anything like that. If your point is to not agree with the original article, then say the same.

If anyone is guilty of dropping a bomb and then running, its the original poster who made no attempt to explain his position.

I don't have any problem with what Nix said. I applaud us for not following the Redskin free agency playbook and reaching and overspending on somebody else's garbage (read: Royal, Walker, and Dockery) on the 1st day of free agency. FINALLY, this puts the emphasis on the Bills to draft well, and develop their own talent instead of being an NFL farm team for the bigger teams in the league to strip away our best players every year or so.

But if you don't agree with the article that you post as your thread, then atleast spend some time to explain your position. IMO anyone who bashes the new Bills front office about this before they even get started is being way to ridiculous in their expectations on how to actually BUILD a winning franchise.

Granted, we have been starved of a winning football team for a good 10+ years. But Nix, Whaley, Gailey, etc have not even had a mini-camp yet. The draft is still practically a month away. It's way to early to be casting judgements about the performance of the front office.

Don't be silly.

It's just a difference of opinion.

No, it's you differing with what you THINK is his opinion, even though he's given absolutely no reason to infer as much.

And if he hadn't posted that story, I would have.

Don't be silly.

It's just a difference of opinion.

As usual, Lori's right on the mark. I thought that story would interest everyone (I enjoyed it), with that particular quote being the part that sparked discussion. I was also curious to see how much that divided the fanbase. I was actually expecting a much more negative response than what I've seen so far.

I, personally, have had no problem with how FA has gone so far. I'm not a huge fan of the Green signing (I liked some of the other FA linemen better, including Wade Smith), and would have liked to see what Chan would have done with TO, but I'm a big fan of the Edwards and Davis signings.

You made a straw man by assuming I was trying to imply something I wasn't.

I agree...the story was interesting and the issue is not whether the guy slept that night. The bigger issue is whether there is significant movement to improve the team. Finding and/or keeping good offensive linemen, replacing Reed at receiver, getting appropriate personnel if we are going to go to a 3-4 and getting personnel to play the 4-3 better (actually building or improving our defense to stop the run) should be something addressed using every available source and making judgements and decisions. Very many good teams are actively in the market and making appropriate moves. We just aren't seeing that out of the present iteration of "grumpy old men" (I say this being a charter member of "grumpy old men" myself.).

I agree...the story was interesting and the issue is not whether the guy slept that night. The bigger issue is whether there is significant movement to improve the team. Finding and/or keeping good offensive linemen, replacing Reed at receiver, getting appropriate personnel if we are going to go to a 3-4 and getting personnel to play the 4-3 better (actually building or improving our defense to stop the run) should be something addressed using every available source and making judgements and decisions. Very many good teams are actively in the market and making appropriate moves. We just aren't seeing that out of the present iteration of "grumpy old men" (I say this being a charter member of "grumpy old men" myself.).

What are you talking about? The Bills got 2 highly-regarded defenders (Edwards and Davis), who know how to play in a 3-4. They signed a RT to at least compete and provide leadership. None of the guys who went on the first day of FA were realistic targets of the Bills. And it should tell you something when the Redskins have basically been sitting-out this FA period.

What are you talking about? The Bills got 2 highly-regarded defenders (Edwards and Davis), who know how to play in a 3-4. They signed a RT to at least compete and provide leadership. None of the guys who went on the first day of FA were realistic targets of the Bills. And it should tell you something when the Redskins have basically been sitting-out this FA period.

We signed an RT who provided leadership for the Raiders? An RT that Oakland was happy to get rid of? An RT whose claim to fame is an inordinate number of penalties? (I think we already have an RT who is pretty good at getting penalties and needs no leadership from the fellow we have) Its not that we are not getting football players...its that we're not getting very good football players.

Let's assume you are correct and take a step back with free agency and a step forward with the draft. Wouldn't you be in the same spot? How does your team get better with that mentality unless you consistently outdraft the other teams in the league.

Dang, I didn't even know we were almost a playoff team. Let's face it we sucked last year. We're gonna suck this year(probably). However what where doing this season is called laying a foundation. Our last foundation was built on quicksand. This one's going to be built on rock. That mean's if you expect instant gratification, your going to be dissapointed. However talk to me 3 year's down the road. When we'll be in position to compete for the division.

Dang, I didn't even know we were almost a playoff team. Let's face it we sucked last year. We're gonna suck this year(probably). However what where doing this season is called laying a foundation. Our last foundation was built on quicksand. This one's going to be built on rock. That mean's if you expect instant gratification, your going to be dissapointed. However talk to me 3 year's down the road. When we'll be in position to compete for the division.

Agreed that because it is the Buffalo Bills organization it is a long run process. If you are talking about 3 years from now, none of our current signings will contribute to that plan.

Dolphins went from a 1-15 team to a 11-5 playoff team the next season. It is possible...

When you have an owner that will spend and a GM that will shake things up you can go from a bottom feeder to a contender.

We signed an RT who provided leadership for the Raiders? An RT that Oakland was happy to get rid of? An RT whose claim to fame is an inordinate number of penalties? (I think we already have an RT who is pretty good at getting penalties and needs no leadership from the fellow we have) Its not that we are not getting football players...its that we're not getting very good football players.

Being a veteran, he'll provide leadership to the youngsters who are currently vying for the RT position. And as for Edwards or Davis not being "good football players," please.

Being a veteran, he'll provide leadership to the youngsters who are currently vying for the RT position. And as for Edwards or Davis not being "good football players," please.

An RT from the Raiders? A real refreshing change of pace. What could go wrong?

An RT from the Raiders? A real refreshing change of pace. What could go wrong?

let's see...a guy cut from the ravens and who flunked physicals for the seahawks and broncos is the best we've done so far...but Algae Crumpler isn't worth a look cuz he has nothing in the tank. At least he'd probably pass a legitimate physical. Edwards will probably provide a leadership role for all of our injured players, I guess.

let's see...a guy cut from the ravens and who flunked physicals for the seahawks and broncos is the best we've done so far...but Algae Crumpler isn't worth a look cuz he has nothing in the tank. At least he'd probably pass a legitimate physical. Edwards will probably provide a leadership role for all of our injured players, I guess.

leadership is important, but if you can't pass the physical - that makes you what? - a coach on the sidelines?