Greatest Games in Bills History

Just watched "Missing Rings 1990 Bills." It again reminded me how lucky we were to watch those Bills teams from 1988 to 1993 in their prime. Unfortunately it also reminded me of the dreck we have watched the past decade. Bills Nation was on top of the world for at least one week following the 51-3 demolition of the Raiders. It got me to thinking about my list of all-time great Bills games (wins and losses).

The Greatest Wins:

1. 51-3 Bills win AFC Championship (1990)

2. 41-38 (OT) Bills over Oilers in Greatest Comeback in NFL History (1993)

3. Frank Reich to Andre Reed last minute with on MNF over Rams (1989)

4. Joe Ferguson to Roland Hooks last minute win over Pats (1981)

5. Jim Kelly dive into the endzone in Miami on last play of game (1989)

With respect to AFL Championship Bills (too young too remember personally):

AFL Championship - Mike Stratton KOs Charger's Keith Lincoln (1964)

The Toughest Losses:

1. Super Bowl XXV (1990)

2. Music City Miracle (1999)

3. San Diego over Buffalo AFC Divisional playoffs (1980)

4. Dallas MNF game two years ago (2007)

5. New England MNF game last year (2009)

The first two wins were a toss-up as to which was the best. Nod to the AFC Championship Game because at least for the next seven days, the Bills were considered the best in the NFL.

Wins:

Sept 7th Bills beat Dolphins for the first time in 10 years. Goal post come down.

November 1980 Bills beat rams at home and players come back out of locker room and dance with fans.

Dec 1973 OJ's 2000 yrd game vs Jets

Wins:

Sept 7th Bills beat Dolphins for the first time in 10 years. Goal post come down.

November 1980 Bills beat rams at home and players come back out of locker room and dance with fans.

Dec 1973 OJ's 2000 yrd game vs Jets

I was at the 1980 Bills-Rams game. Another top 10 in my book. I remember Smerlas in particular dancing in the end zone.

Other two both great. They are games you remember where you were. (My Dad was upset because my 3rd grade Xmas play was at same time as OJ 2000 yard game).

Until we ever actually win a superbowl there can be NO QUESTION that the Bills greatest victory was-

Everything else is and was chopped liver.

Fair enough. Following that up was Butch Byrd's int return for a TD the next December in a shutout vicory rematch!

Until we ever actually win a superbowl there can be NO QUESTION that the Bills greatest victory was-

No way. First of all, what about the AFL Championship game in San Diego the very next season? Didn't the Bills shut out the vaunted Chargers offense to win their second consecutive AFL Championship that year? You call that game chopped liver?

And onto the modern era. Bills 51, Raiders 3, for their first AFC Championship in the SB era. For me, THAT is the greatest game in Buffalo Bills history. For one thing, it vaulted the Bills into their first SB. Secondly, it meant the exact same thing as that 1964 AFL Championship meant: that the Buffalo Bills were the best team in the AFC (modern version of the AFL) for the 1990 season. Then, in 1991, they matched the 1965 AFL Championship with a second consecutive AFC Championship. Then 1n 1992 and again in 1993, they surpassed their 1960's accomplishments by winning two more consecutive AFC Championships. You see, the AFL never got to play the NFL in 1964 and 1965. But the NFL of course did exist. So I will never understand why many old timers (or even younger fans) think that the Bills winning those two AFL Championships should mean so much more then the 4 straight AFC Championships. In reality, they all meant the exact same thing.

I respect your opinion. Although I don't agree with the 2nd part about everything else being chopped liver. Even the NFL acknowledges the pre-Super Bowl era differently.

For the sake of argument, I'll stick with my claim that 51-3 over Raiders was 'bigger" than 1964 Championship. In 1964, AFL was still considered the minor leagues (AFL'ers can b*tch all day that wasn't true, but the fact was that's what most of America thought at the time). After the 1990 AFC Championship Game, Bills were considered THE BEST TEAM IN NFL until the Giants upset them a week later.

The 1981 Wild Card match-up between the Bills and the Jets at Shea Stadium. Buffalo jumped out to an early lead thanks to some turnovers by Richard Todd and Joe Ferguson's passing. The Jets made a game of it and rallied to win the game, only to have Bills FS Bill Simpson intercept a Todd pass inside the Bills 20 with :05 seconds left. One of my all-time favorite wins.