Current F.O. strategy

I've read numerous complaints that other teams are getting better in our division, and that the Bills are doing nothing. I get the distinct impression that the people running the show at One Bills Drive are totally willing to fail in 2010. I really believe they will draft to fill out as many positions as possible, and then play who we have, regardless of whether or not we're missing starting caliber guys at various positions - they'll just pick them up in next year's draft, and if we have one of the worst teams this year, then that much better pick in next year's draft.

O.k., here are my issues with the approach they seem to be taking. Since when is the nfl about sacrificing this year for next? How many people are going to pay those prices to go and watch a team that deliberately isn't doing everything it can to succeed? Miami showed, as did Atlanta - the Jets, that a team can turn around a lot in one off-season with the right guys running the show. Now, there is a lot of time between now and the regular season; maybe there is a real plan in place for the draft. Maybe they think they can fill our holes merely with college guys. But, it's beginning to look, especially with free agents coming and then going and signing elsewhere - that the team isn't serious about competing in 2010, that they'll be content waiting to see if there is football next year and then going the draft route.

One other thing. If your plan is to rebuild through the draft, why not trade some future picks and some odd-fitting personnel to get as many guys from college this year, so that they can develop together?

If your theory is true and the Bills have in fact decided to lay down in 10 to go for it in 11 then in addition to not seeing any actions to win immediately one should also be able to detect moves to build a winner in 2011.

Are you just complaining that they are not doing enough to win now or what strategic moves do you that indicates they are building for 2011?

I've read numerous complaints that other teams are getting better in our division, and that the Bills are doing nothing. I get the distinct impression that the people running the show at One Bills Drive are totally willing to fail in 2010. I really believe they will draft to fill out as many positions as possible, and then play who we have, regardless of whether or not we're missing starting caliber guys at various positions - they'll just pick them up in next year's draft, and if we have one of the worst teams this year, then that much better pick in next year's draft.

O.k., here are my issues with the approach they seem to be taking. Since when is the nfl about sacrificing this year for next? How many people are going to pay those prices to go and watch a team that deliberately isn't doing everything it can to succeed? Miami showed, as did Atlanta - the Jets, that a team can turn around a lot in one off-season with the right guys running the show. Now, there is a lot of time between now and the regular season; maybe there is a real plan in place for the draft. Maybe they think they can fill our holes merely with college guys. But, it's beginning to look, especially with free agents coming and then going and signing elsewhere - that the team isn't serious about competing in 2010, that they'll be content waiting to see if there is football next year and then going the draft route.

One other thing. If your plan is to rebuild through the draft, why not trade some future picks and some odd-fitting personnel to get as many guys from college this year, so that they can develop together?

the strategy is to make as much money as possible. They have the numbers from past experience over many years as to how many fans will pay to see an absolutely awful team. They compare the loss of revenue to the gain in player and coaching payroll cuts and have determined that they come out ahead fielding an abysmal team.

I don't think that you can say not signing FAs is equivalent to giving up on the season. Miami didn't make any huge signings after they went 1-15 and went on to win the division the next year. Atlanta didn't either - they drafted a QB. The Jets did pick up a few FAs (and a QB via the draft), but you have to wonder if Ryan's defense was the biggest reason for the turnaround, not necessarily the FAs.

If you look at last year, I think we can all agree that the coaching was terrible. It's entirely possible that a potentially more competent coaching staff gets more out of the players we already have. I expect the offense to get better by just having a more coordinated attack run by a more experienced play-caller. The defense will most likely have some trouble, but I do expect them to be more of a big play defense. They'll probably still not be in the top half against the run (probably somewhere between 20 and 32), but I think they'll do better in sacks and picks. I also expect them to give up more in the red zone.

To me the idea of not bringing in FAs for the sake of bringing in FAs is a good one for them now. They have a good number of young players that need real, year-long chances to see what they can do. Players like Hardy, S Johnson, McKelvin, Wood, Levitre, D Bell, J Merideth, S Nelson, Lynch, Maybin, Bryd, and even to a lesser extent D Whitner, Parish, Edwards, Brohm, Poz need an opportunity to show what they can do as featured players.

That being said, if there were a LT, NT, or QB that looked like a solid piece to build around I would hope they'd go after them. I just don't see any players like that in FA this year. Dansby was the only player I was marginally hoping they'd target, but even then I don't know that he was worth it to us. We have the potential to be relatively strong at ILB. I do expect that they'll sign depth players later in the process though.

I was venting - what is bothersome is that if as a fan we could know they had a plan in place, the goal of which is to return to dominance, then I'd be happy. When it appears they are going to take the slow approach, inching towards the top in three, four years, I'd like to think they'll take some shot, some move to get what we need to be great. I just want them to go for greatness instead of average, I'd love to see some trades - maybe up to get Bradford, or pick up Dan Williams and another good D-end, just put together something that stands to be dominant. The mentality should be "we have to field a dominant team soon for the fans who've been through too much suffering." They should do whatever needs done. We deserve it, for following this team for as long as we have.

I don't think that you can say not signing FAs is equivalent to giving up on the season. Miami didn't make any huge signings after they went 1-15 and went on to win the division the next year. Atlanta didn't either - they drafted a QB. The Jets did pick up a few FAs (and a QB via the draft), but you have to wonder if Ryan's defense was the biggest reason for the turnaround, not necessarily the FAs.

Your statement about the Falcons in not quite true. They signed free agent running back Michael Turner to a big-money contract. Turner had a huge year for them and was one of the integral reasons why Atlanta made the playoffs.

Not opining on free agents...just pointing this out.

The Bills are building for the 2012 draft so they will be in position to grab Matt Barkley as their franchise QB. Rebuilding should be finished around 2014 when Byrd, Wood and Levitre all sign somewhere else as free agents.

AND WE RETAIN MAYBIN!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bills are building for the 2012 draft so they will be in position to grab Matt Barkley as their franchise QB. Rebuilding should be finished around 2014 when Byrd, Wood and Levitre all sign somewhere else as free agents.

+1

With this CBA thing and cap stuff there really arent as many solid FA this year. I have no problems with the FO waiting for the draft.

First of all, I agree 110% with your Jim Kelly quote - and in addition to that, he is turning out to be the best retired Buffalo Bill ever, with the work he is doing for Hunters Hope and trying to convince every state in the country to add more disease testing on unborn babies.

That said, I totaly disagree with your opinions about solid FA's not being available this year. Remember Ben Watson's catch to beat the Bills on Sunday Night Football last season? Well, there he was, available to be signed as an UFA by Buddy. You think Ben would not have immediately improved our sorry state at tight end?? How about Thomas Jones after the Jets cut him? You don't think he would have been able to replace Lynch well enough for Buddy to trade the immature kid for draft value? The list goes on and on. It's not like the free agents out there need to be super starts to improve the Bills pathetic

6-10-0 roster. At least he signed an experienced OT out of Oakland. That's a start. But it's not nearly as much as he could have done with free agency so far this year.

I don't think the Bills are blowing off 2010.

1) I think what you see in FA is the refinement, however slow, of the draft strategy.

2) There are a lot of players out there that are free agents. Lots of time to sign them.