Why the Bills Shouldnt Draft a QB This Year

Jsi922

Right now i believe this is a weak draft for QB. The only QB i would draft is Sam Bradford and he will be gone by the latest at 5 with washington.

Next Year's Draft you have Ryan Mallett and Jake Locker coming out who are better prospects than Bradford and Clausen. You will probably also have Andrew Luck coming out possibly from Stanford, this year will definately show what kind of QB he is and he is being coached by an NFL Qb in Harbaugh.

Well, that is indeed your opinion about the QBs. I, and many others disagree. Clausen could easily be a terrific QB, and Mallett and Locker might have awful years ... what you have there is a guess.

But one thing you can be sure of ... 100% sure. You don't know where we will draft next year and you don't know whether any QBs will be available at that spot. If we get the 16th pick, for example, no way to trade up for anyone in the top 6 or so.

Saying that you should pass on a franchise QB this year because you can get one next year is a lot like telling a fighter that he absolutely MUST win one of the next two fights to have a future ... but he shouldn't bother fighting the guy tomorrow because he can probably beat the second guy even though we don't know who it is. Makes absolutely zero sense.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good analysis and some excellent points. Every fan wants to win now, myself included, and that influences our opinions. But the reality is that the Bills will not be good until at least 2011, IF they acquire the right players, so your suggestions make sense.

Bills fan have to face, nothing can happen this year that will make the Buffalo Bills contenders, there is no free agent out there that will make them better, so this year is not a must win, we need to start gathering the pieces to become a good team. i believe we got some key pieces on defense with the two young guys in the secondary, and polsulzny.

Doesn't it typically take QBs longer to develop than most if not all other positions? If this is the case, wouldn't it be wise to draft a QB to start this development process sooner. Thus allowing the team to be successful sooner?

However, I am with you on the point that if the top two guys are gone, Brohm is no less a prospect than any of the others.

Well, that is indeed your opinion about the QBs. I, and many others disagree. Clausen could easily be a terrific QB, and Mallett and Locker might have awful years ... what you have there is a guess.

But one thing you can be sure of ... 100% sure. You don't know where we will draft next year and you don't know whether any QBs will be available at that spot. If we get the 16th pick, for example, no way to trade up for anyone in the top 6 or so.

Saying that you should pass on a franchise QB this year because you can get one next year is a lot like telling a fighter that he absolutely MUST win one of the next two fights to have a future ... but he shouldn't bother fighting the guy tomorrow because he can probably beat the second guy even though we don't know who it is. Makes absolutely zero sense.

You never go on next years draft but there is always speculation on it. You take the peices that are available to make the team better. If we fix the O-line and D-line and the rest of our team becomes solid I would not mind trading three picks to move up next year if the QB is there. However if a guy can be a bust this year when it is now how dangerous would it be to put your faith in a guy next year when you have not saw his final year in college, combine and proday. Imagine if the top 3 all had career ending injuries next season. However the draft to grab an OT is this one.

The bottom line is that this year's crop of qb's is very very weak. We might want to take a flyer on one in the third or fourth round, but considering that the top of the pile would be very late first round or even second round picks most years, looking to find a savior in this group is not a wise move.

In this day in age there is no perfect offensive line for a QB to have the perfect amount of time to throw. The turnover in todays NFL prevents this. A good quarterback makes do with what he has around him. A poor quarterback needs the perfect storm to succeed, ala Trent Edwards.

Don't worry about a line, draft a QB. Do whatever it takes to get whatever rookie we hope won't be a bust. He won't need a line. Defensive ends and linebackers will bounce off of him.

He won't get the mental scars that guys like David Carr get from playing behind non-existent lines as rookies, because we don't want him to. Because we decided that good QBs don't need a line.

And if logic doesn't work, we can always rely on trite aphorisms to fix the problems.

P.S. For all the Aaron Rogers posters, Rogers had one of the best tandems of receivers in the league, took a ton of sacks, and his team didn't start dominating until the line started to come together.

And even in the beginning their line was better than ours.

The bottom line is that this year's crop of qb's is very very weak. We might want to take a flyer on one in the third or fourth round, but considering that the top of the pile would be very late first round or even second round picks most years, looking to find a savior in this group is not a wise move.

Stop making sense. You're infringing upon my happy thoughts.

One major issue I see with drafting a QB this year is if a lockout occurs next year. You get a young guy in and say we start playing him than he sits another year with no development? If he cant start this year its maybe 2012 before he sees action again.

That is why there's NO WAY we draft a QB this year. All that bonus money heading into a lockout. Then sit your huge investment for a year w/out football. It makes no sense. Particularly with the abundance of talent we already have at the position.

That is why there's NO WAY we draft a QB this year. All that bonus money heading into a lockout. Then sit your huge investment for a year w/out football. It makes no sense. Particularly with the abundance of talent we already have at the position.

Abundance of talent at the position?!?!?!? Two guys who have proven they can't be successful and another who was on a practice squad a year ago. They have zero talent at the position.

the 'Core' of a team STARTS with QUARTERBACK.

I agree that the QB is the core of the team, but I disagree that the ONLY way to build a TEAM is with the QB, and in addition, that even though the QB is the core of the team that he is the ONLY important or the ONLY essential part of a TEAM.

One need only look at the real world events which have surrounded the best QBs in the modern NFL to see that this is true.

1. Peyton Manning may be the best QB ever to play the game but it was quite clear that he absolutely needed to have a significant Indy investment in building an OL, acquisition of a great RB who played most of his career with him, a stud WR to compliment him being there, the best GM in the game to build a supporting cast, one of the best placekickers in the game, and STILL it took Indy getting one of the great D minds at ST to deliver an SB ring to him. Manning and Indy have still done well with various elements essential to winning it all missing, but in the big picture he has proven incapable of winning the SB again without a near perfect convergence of collected assets around him.

Manning is clearly the core of the Indy team, but yet it is pretty clear that simply having this solid core is not nearly enough.

2. Tom Brady is by most measures of success the best QB in the modern era and yet the key to his first SB winning season was arguably that Bill Belicheat demonstrated with the introduction of the entire TEAM as a group in their first SB rather than as a bunch of talented individuals that having a TEAM rather than just a great team is the key.

If you want so desperately to focus on the individual, even no other than much troubled and failed after a Pro Bowl start here Drew Bledsoe played a flat out essential role in this team winning its first SB from him being unlucky enough to get a collapsed lung (I doubt Brady would have gotten a start until 2003 or 04 while NE went through the same debate we had here if Bledsoe had remained healthy) and then even his haters have to admit the flat out fact that he threw the winning TD pass in a must win game for the Pats after Brady got hurt mid-game (the dumb luck of injury is another reason why your core strategy is a foolish one for the Bills particularly with our OL in serious need of help).

3. Add to this story of potential rapist RoboQB in Pitts, a simple look at this teams history shows how building a core around your D, an aging RB, and the myriad other factors essential for a winning TEAM is actually a workable method of winning it all and the QB came into this team as the addition which put it over the top.

In fact, if one tries to insist that starting with a stud QB is THE way to go simply ignores the reality which was Baltimore which used a standard method of acquiring a QB adequate to lead the team to an SB when they acquired failed FA Dilfer to QB a team built around Ray Lewis and the D to SB victory.

Do the Bills need a stud QB (likely a 1st round or 1st day choice) to lead their team to an SB?

For sure!

However like a host of other teams ranging from GB and SF which got their stud QB in a trade with TB, or TB which got 2 time failed QB Brad Johnson from FA, or the Rams which got Warner from his previous gig at Walmart, Balt with FA Dilfer, the Saints which got FA Brees, there are simply tons of ways to get your core QB when you are ready for him (which the Bills are not) its not that I am unsure about the skills of Tebow, Claussen or Bradford, its that I am pretty sure about the lack of skills of this Bills team.

The Bills lack both the skills on OL to provide a good learning environment for any of the potentially flawed QBs who are likely to go in the 1st and certainly not a good training ground for Tebow who himself says he is learning a quicker release and almost certainly needs a year or two sitting in games and practicing to learn it.

Drafting a QB MIGHT work eventually but do you really believe this team is good enough that merely having a solid young leader will make them a good TEAM? If so specifically who do you see improving and how will this stud QB make them achieve (for the moment lets just assume the QBs are going to prove to be as good as Manning was after a few years and Brady was after 2 years (which essentially is what you are arguing).

i posted this somewhere else and had to wait for confirmation to start posting.

Right now i believe this is a weak draft for QB. The only QB i would draft is Sam Bradford and he will be gone by the latest at 5 with washington.

Next Year's Draft you have Ryan Mallett and Jake Locker coming out who are better prospects than Bradford and Clausen. You will probably also have Andrew Luck coming out possibly from Stanford, this year will definately show what kind of QB he is and he is being coached by an NFL Qb in Harbaugh.

Bills fan have to face, nothing can happen this year that will make the Buffalo Bills contenders, there is no free agent out there that will make them better, so this year is not a must win, we need to start gathering the pieces to become a good team. i believe we got some key pieces on defense with the two young guys in the secondary, and polsulzny.

Draft your Offensive Tackle in the first round, probably Trent Williams right, if Okung is there, then take him. Draft another Tackle IMO in the 2nd round, you can still get a really good tackle early in the 2nd round.

you will have wood, hangartner, levitre, trent williams and 2nd round OT now on your line. The line will have improved considerably.

you keep lynch and jackson together, you neeed 2 RB's in this league. Free Agency has shown that you can pick up a veteran WR easily, they are not a hot commodity.

Next year, The Bills will draft in the top 10, maybe the top 5. They will get their chance at either Mallett or Locker.

Rams will get Bradford, i believe skins will get clausen(bills will be worse). New England has Raiders Pick next year LOL and they have Brady. Tampa has Freeman and Johnson, Lions have Stafford. Chiefs have Cassell but they may look(they will be better than the Bills). Seattle and Cleveland willl need QB's but they should be better than the Bills IMO.

so the Bills can draft a better QB in 2011. why just settle for QB in 2010. build the lines this year, get a foundation. go after the QB in the next draft.

this year is lost already, unless you are a super optimist, there is a chance, but the Jets are a force now, the Dolphins are getting better, Patriots are the Patriots. we are the worse team in the AFC East for sure, playoffs arent coming, and if the playoffs arent coming, whats the point of another 8-8 season.

Lets build the core, like the successful teams on the line this year, get our stud QB next year(ryan mallett is the guy i like 6.7' and a rocket arm, perfect for buffalo)

even if we put 7th next year, there arent many teams at the bottom that need QB's. they have already drafted QB's (i.e stafford and rams-bradford) the raiders would be down but the pats have their pick. we will have a shot at locker or mallett. even if we get a clausen or lefovur, our season will be bad still and then with a top 10 pick, do the bills have the guts to take mallett or locker after drafting a QB the year before?

note: anyone can say we will do great this year, but we are missing pieces in the D, not alot, but we cant get anything in free agency to address it, we are missing WR, OL, QB still on offense, we can address 1-2 of those needs in the draft but they probably wont be a factor this year.

I totally agree with you bro! I've been saying this for a while. Build the lines and LB depth in the draft and get a stop gap qb like delhomme or Anderson for this year (maybe a potential franchiser like Troy Smith) and next year get Locker, Mallet, or Luck whoever is best on Nix's radar. All are better than this years class (maybe not if Bradford didn't hurt his arm). I wouldn't mind getting Tebow late though just for leadership and maybe wildcat purposes, I'm sure Gailey can find some creative ways to use him.

i posted this somewhere else and had to wait for confirmation to start posting.

Draft your Offensive Tackle in the first round, probably Trent Williams right, if Okung is there, then take him. Draft another Tackle IMO in the 2nd round, you can still get a really good tackle early in the 2nd round.

you will have wood, hangartner, levitre, trent williams and 2nd round OT now on your line. The line will have improved considerably.

you keep lynch and jackson together, you neeed 2 RB's in this league. Free Agency has shown that you can pick up a veteran WR easily, they are not a hot commodity.

Next year, The Bills will draft in the top 10, maybe the top 5. They will get their chance at either Mallett or Locker.

Rams will get Bradford, i believe skins will get clausen(bills will be worse). New England has Raiders Pick next year LOL and they have Brady. Tampa has Freeman and Johnson, Lions have Stafford. Chiefs have Cassell but they may look(they will be better than the Bills). Seattle and Cleveland willl need QB's but they should be better than the Bills IMO.

so the Bills can draft a better QB in 2011. why just settle for QB in 2010. build the lines this year, get a foundation. go after the QB in the next draft.

this year is lost already, unless you are a super optimist, there is a chance, but the Jets are a force now, the Dolphins are getting better, Patriots are the Patriots. we are the worse team in the AFC East for sure, playoffs arent coming, and if the playoffs arent coming, whats the point of another 8-8 season.

Lets build the core, like the successful teams on the line this year, get our stud QB next year(ryan mallett is the guy i like 6.7' and a rocket arm, perfect for buffalo)

even if we put 7th next year, there arent many teams at the bottom that need QB's. they have already drafted QB's (i.e stafford and rams-bradford) the raiders would be down but the pats have their pick. we will have a shot at locker or mallett. even if we get a clausen or lefovur, our season will be bad still and then with a top 10 pick, do the bills have the guts to take mallett or locker after drafting a QB the year before?

note: anyone can say we will do great this year, but we are missing pieces in the D, not alot, but we cant get anything in free agency to address it, we are missing WR, OL, QB still on offense, we can address 1-2 of those needs in the draft but they probably wont be a factor this year.

False on so many levels

Andrew Luck is going to be great.

Take the BPA, the Bills are so bad they can draft any position outside of DB and the team will be better

If 2 players are seen as equals on the board then take the QB. QBs need to learn and develop while OTs can be pro bowlers for day 1 of training camp. ie Id rather have a 2nd year QB with a rookie LT in 2011 than vice versa.