Ricky Williams Speaks

Thailog80

What is wrong with the article?

134037[/snapback]

For starters, how about

"I'd carried the ball more over a two-year period than anyone in history, and there was no realistic hope that it was going to change."

That has got to be the first time I've ever heard a running back complain about getting the ball too much.

For starters, how about

"I'd carried the ball more over a two-year period than anyone in history, and there was no realistic hope that it was going to change."

That has got to be the first time I've ever heard a running back complain about getting the ball too much.

134065[/snapback]

I don't blame him for this. He was getting killed out there. Handing the ball off to Ricky was their entire offensive strategy. No running back wants to take that type of beating.

I'll say it right now. I like what I've read about Ricky Williams. He's one of the few guys I've ever seen in the public eye that does exactly what he wants to no matter what the fans, media or his peers say/think. That takes a lot of courage and I respect that. Why play football this year? Because other people want him to? I, for one, don't think that's anyway to live one's life, though I'm guessing there are lots of people out there who disagree with me. It seems that the public likes the good little soldier and whenever someone steps out of line they jump on him. Ricky owes it to himself to do whatever he thinks is best for his life and nothing else. It doesn't matter what that is exactly as long as he's not harming other people with his decisions.

I'll say it right now.  I like what I've read about Ricky Williams.  He's one of the few guys I've ever seen in the public eye that does exactly what he wants to no matter what the fans, media or his peers say/think.

134162[/snapback]

I can see that. Problem is...he's erratic as hell. Doesn't take nearly as much courage to walk your own path when that path veers all over the place.

Plus...Ricky's got to do what's right for Ricky. I can accept that. But doing what's right by oneself doesn't mean you have to screw over everyone around you.

If anything I think this gives him more respect. I have a little more respect for him now. The guy was getting his ass kicked every game for 2 years. Only so much a body can take.

134177[/snapback]

Yeah good thing Earl Campbell and Eric Dickerson didn't have Ricky's outlook. The me first attitude.....poor Ricky.

Yeah good thing Earl Campbell and Eric Dickerson didn't have Ricky's outlook. The me first attitude.....poor Ricky.

134181[/snapback]

Alot of good that did Earl Campbell. Look at the guy now. Dickerson at least had a decent QB and WR corp (including the vastly underrated Henry Ellard) to share some responsibility.

If anything I think this gives him more respect. I have a little more respect for him now. The guy was getting his ass kicked every game for 2 years. Only so much a body can take.

134177[/snapback]

So go into Real Estate. He knew exactly what was going to happen when Miami picked him up. If not, after the fact is not a good time to analyse it. I have to assume that he knows football well enough to know that Miami was not going to be an Indy type passing threat.

He knew exactly what was going to happen when Miami picked him up. If not, after the fact is not a good time to analyse it. I have to assume that he knows football well enough to know that Miami was not going to be an Indy type passing threat.

134191[/snapback]

true...but miami didnt help any by not really going after a good free agent qb or even trying to get a good qb rookie....Im not an expert on miami but it seems to me that they spent all there time working with defense and not enough time looking to help the O...the qb's that they did bring in werent all that good wich probably led ricky into thinking he'll have to shoulder the offense till they get good...im not justifying ricky or nothing but it just didnt look like miami was gonna do anything but run the ball.

true...but miami didnt help any by not really going after a good free agent qb or even trying to get a good qb rookie....Im not an expert on miami but it seems to me that they spent all there time working with defense and not enough time looking to help the O...the qb's that they did bring in werent all that good wich probably led ricky into thinking he'll have to shoulder the offense till they get good...im not justifying ricky or nothing but it just didnt look like miami was gonna do anything but run the ball.

134338[/snapback]

I've just got a thing about multi-million dollar sports people complaining about much of anything. Don't much care who it is.

"Poor Artest, he HAD a right to defend himself from a plastic cup"

"Poor Rickey, a running back who was called on to carry the ball more than he wanted to"

How about "Poor LCPL Mike Smith, who didn't seek medical attention despite being wounded three times because he felt his squad needed him more than he needed treatment"

I guess I just have the wrong attitude about professional sports. As much as I enjoy the Bills, I just think some things are more important. At least one football player thought so too.

I still have no respect for him. Had he made his decision early enough so that he didn't leave his team in the lurch (even if it WAS the Dolphins :flirt:), I'd have some respect for him. Had he been willing to give back the money he owed on his own, I'd have some respect for him. Also had he tried to work out a compromise about limiting his carries, I'd have some respect for him. To me it's apparent that his drug suspension was the reason he retired, and that all he's saying now is just a coverup.

I've just got a thing about multi-million dollar sports people complaining about much of anything. Don't much care who it is.

"Poor Artest, he HAD a right to defend himself from a plastic cup"

"Poor Rickey, a running back who was called on to carry the ball more than he wanted to"

How about "Poor LCPL Mike Smith, who didn't seek medical attention despite being wounded three times because he felt his squad needed him more than he needed treatment"

I guess I just have the wrong attitude about professional sports. As much as I enjoy the Bills, I just think some things are more important. At least one football player thought so too.

134351[/snapback]

Dont join the army. No one forces any one to join the army. You dont want to go to war? Then dont join the army.

Dont join the army. No one forces any one to join the army. You dont want to go to war? Then dont join the army.

134489[/snapback]

That's right, only pro sports have a draft anymore. My bad. They're forced to play against their will. I forgot.