What Electric Guitar Should I Buy?

What about this Jackson guitar?

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/pro...duct=2910515316

Seems to have pretty much everything I'm looking for ... although I'm not sold on the body shape yet.

What do you all think of Jackson guitars? Where would this one be made?

Nice guitar...I owned a '78 strat for almost 2 decades. When I decided to get another one I went into Guitar trader and looked at everything they had but the guitar that seemed to fit comfortably around my neck and sit in the right place for my hands was that Jackson (the neck and the body sat perfect and it was incredibly light) . I have enough money to buy what I want and I don't care WTF peewee Herman plays like astroshit seems to be worried about but the thing to do is try it on and see if it fits and then work with the sound you want....trust what you feel, your hand should be able to move effortlessly along that neck without any tension from the rest of your body to get your fingers in the right place... IMO

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice guitar...I owned a '78 strat for almost 2 decades. When I decided to get another one I went into Guitar trader and looked at everything they had but the guitar that seemed to fit comfortably around my neck and sit in the right place for my hands was that Jackson (the neck and the body sat perfect and it was incredibly light) . I have enough money to buy what I want and I don't care WTF peewee Herman plays like astroshit seems to be worried about but the thing to do is try it on and see if it fits and then work with the sound you want....trust what you feel, your hand should be able to move effortlessly along that neck without any tension from the rest of your body to get your fingers in the right place... IMO

pretty hostile for a dude with stupid taste in guitars

What finish did you get?

Black w/clearcoat .. It's an awesome feeling guitar, at first I wasn't crazy about the style but it grew on me. It was all about the feel and balance when I played it. The sound and effects I knew I could create but it was already close and with the floyd rose tremolo my only concern was how well it would stay in tune.

Rd 2 today at a different shop.

Tried several Les Pauls. Great guitar, unmatched sustain and "nastiness" BUT I think the neck just feels a bit chunky for my smallish hands. Also can sound a bit muddy and lacking on the lower strings when played north of the 10th fret.

Upon the salesman's recommendation then tried 2 Paul Reed Smith guitars.

First the Custom 24. Great guitar, not quite the sustain of a Les Paul, but closest Ive seen from any other guitar. But the trade-off seems to be better tone on the lower strings when played > 10th fret. Love the weight too. This one had a "wide thin" neck and Id say it lives up to that in feel. More playable than the LP.

Then tried the McCarty. Another great axe. Maybe the pickups arent guite as hot, but the stouter bridge due to no tremolo bar seemed to make up for it in maybe better sustain. This had the "wide fat" neck but it didnt seem to feel as chunky as a LP. Had that baby humming. So much so 2 people in the store came over to say how they liked my playing :huh:

Prior to today I had never played a PRS. Be interested what others think of them. Of course theyre out of my initial price range, but if I like it that much I'd look as it as an investment.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments thus far ... GREATLY APPRECIATED :wallbash:

Tried several Les Pauls. Great guitar, unmatched sustain and "nastiness" BUT I think the neck just feels a bit chunky for my smallish hands. Also can sound a bit muddy and lacking on the lower strings when played north of the 10th fret.

First the Custom 24. Great guitar, not quite the sustain of a Les Paul, but closest Ive seen from any other guitar. But the trade-off seems to be better tone on the lower strings when played > 10th fret. Love the weight too. This one had a "wide thin" neck and Id say it lives up to that in feel. More playable than the LP.

Then tried the McCarty. Another great axe. Maybe the pickups arent guite as hot, but the stouter bridge due to no tremolo bar seemed to make up for it in maybe better sustain. This had the "wide fat" neck but it didnt seem to feel as chunky as a LP. Had that baby humming. So much so 2 people in the store came over to say how they liked my playing :huh:

Prior to today I had never played a PRS. Be interested what others think of them. Of course theyre out of my initial price range, but if I like it that much I'd look as it as an investment.

Yes, from what I hear the PRS guitars are very nice.

If you are looking at spending that kind of dough as an investment (and to play a great guitar, of course) there are others to consider, too. If I'm not mistaken, the Custom runs near or above $3 K. If that's the case, you may want to check out the Sadowsky line. Sadowsky is a first-rate luthier:

They make them with smaller radius necks I believe. Muddy sounding? What amp where you playing it through? Could this have been the problem?

PRS guitars are awesome! I don't know anyone who has every owned one that had anything bad to say about them, especially the McCarty model, which is essentially thier version of the Les Paul.

Joe, since you are clearly putting much effort into this search, let me give you one piece of advice which I hope you will take:

DO NOT SETTLE! Take the time to find the perfect guitar for you, otherwise, you will not be happy and eventually, will have to start the search over again.

BTW, is anyone interested in buying my EMGs? I am going to replace them with some custom humbuckes from Lindy Fralin...

I have an ESP which i love and an Ibanez S series. The Ibanez has the Floyd Rose floating bridge, which can be a pain in teh A$$ sometimes. If you are going to be doing alot of tuning changes, i would stay away from anyhting with a floating bridge. ESP makes some nice guitars, though im into more of teh rock style.

Have you ever though about going semi- hollow, or hollow body? If you looking for blues or jazz sound it does wonders.

I have an ESP which i love and an Ibanez S series. The Ibanez has the Floyd Rose floating bridge, which can be a pain in teh A$$ sometimes. If you are going to be doing alot of tuning changes, i would stay away from anyhting with a floating bridge. ESP makes some nice guitars, though im into more of teh rock style.

My favorite guitar is the ESP Kamikaze-1. I don't own it and played one once, but I love the way it looks.

Here's a demo the PRS McCarty starting around 5:00. That's not the wood I would get, but this is as close to the sound Ive found that I like. Sweet!! Even this guy who demo's hundreds of guitars seemed to get fairly intoxicated with this one.

here's a guy doing a cover of Sweet Child of Mine with an older one. pretty sweet too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcY0NLgKlYI

I guess they made some pickuo change in 08. And of course theres a raging Internet forum debate which ones better. So id have to research that further too. I think the gist is the pre-08s have a more mid range compressed sound, and 08's have a brighter paf sound.

Here's a demo the PRS McCarty starting around 5:00. That's not the wood I would get, but this is as close to the sound Ive found that I like. Sweet!! Even this guy who demo's hundreds of guitars seemed to get fairly intoxicated with this one.

here's a guy doing a cover of Sweet Child of Mine with an older one. pretty sweet too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcY0NLgKlYI

I guess they made some pickuo change in 08. And of course theres a raging Internet forum debate which ones better. So id have to research that further too. I think the gist is the pre-08s have a more mid range compressed sound, and 08's have a brighter paf sound.

You can sort of hear that in the examples you posted. Different amps and different players, but the 1st link sounds more raw Les Paul like. 2nd one more like Boston's sound, which was a compressed Les Paul.

A funny thing about guitars: It’s always fun to play other people’s guitars, like when I’m over at a friend’s house. Even if their guitar(s) happens to be cheaper or crappier than mine, there’s something interesting about the feel of an instrument other than the one you’re used to. Kind of like how little kids feel about toys: Everybody is more interested in what the other kid has.

I’ve always felt that each guitar is unique in feel and will kind of inspire you to play a little differently. It’s a fun way to get yourself out of a rut if you are boring yourself with the same playing habits/techniques. Of course, you can do the same thing dicking around at a guitar store (or with alternate tunings).

Anyway, guitars are fun. I don’t care if I kind of suck. I am occasionally able to amuse myself.

You can sort of hear that in the examples you posted. Different amps and different players, but the 1st link sounds more raw Les Paul like. 2nd one more like Boston's sound, which was a compressed Les Paul.

I tested some more today and came to the conclusion the pickups matter. The more "paf" are superior for me. Just love the syrupy sound and better high tones.

2nd time around with the PRS and I am starting to agree with some reviews I read that ultimately it is its own animal and shouldnt be thought of as a Les Paul or Stratocaster etc etc. It's unique, just like those great axes.

Also gave LP another chance and although they have unmatched sustain, I ultimately like the playability, lighter more comfortable body and brighter tones of the PRS.

Sooooo .... guess it's decision time for me.

My favorite guitar is the ESP Kamikaze-1. I don't own it and played one once, but I love the way it looks.

I was skimming this thread surprised that the ESPs didn't come up. They have great sustain, look fantastic, and come at a lowish price. To me, they are a poor man's Gibson. Here's the one I had.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=516629

That said, I sold mine because I'm mostly an acoustic guy (my baby is a Martin HD-28; also have a Martin D-1 that I can't recommend highly enough as a low end Martin) and now own just an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, which is a step down form the ESP but still plenty of electric for when I decide some Metallica or hard stuff is necessary.

I had a Gibson Les Paul "The Paul" once upon a time and it was OK. The ESP was better...and neither feels as awesome as a real Les Paul, which feels like strapping on a tank.

But I totally and completely think that if you're a decent guitar player and want to just play electric--and have the money--don't get the knock off Epiphone that I have. It's fine for me because I touch it once a month. You'd be better getting a PRS or ESP if you like that Gibson sound but want to avoid the Gibson hefty price tag. You won't feel like you settled and you'll have a great axe.

Either way, the guitars you're looking at are all awesome. I have never played a PRS but they look hot. The double-cutaway is not my preference but theirs looks badass. Let us know what you get.

FYI, and only because it seems to matter to Joe, I believe ESP guitars are made in Asia, at least many of them are.

I'm not really sure why that would matter, if the product was quality, but for some it does. Some very good instruments are made in Japan and Korea, IMO.