It is a QB driven league.

Guest dog14787
That was 20 years ago. Live in the present. It's a quarterback league. Look at all the playoff teams and you'll see good / great quarterback play. Go ahead and tell me about Sanchez. I'll point to every other team in the playoffs.

Let's start by getting the Bills to the playoffs before we start planning the Super Bowl victory party. One step at a time.

Sanchez is actually a pretty good QB in the makings in my book.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Steelers have won more SBs than any team, including 2 recently. They have always been a running and D team. Sanchez did everything he could hold the Jets back this season and they still went to the AFC Champ game. There is more than one way to win.

Oh please. You're gonna seriously tell me that Terry Bradshaw had nothing to do with those 70's Superbowl Wins? What about Lynn Swann who was catching those throws?

And sure, Big Ben did not have a great game in the 2005 Superbowl vs Seattle, but he played lights out against Arizona. He still had to stand in the pocket and make that great throw to the end zone to Holmes. Better catch, but still a great throw outside in really tight coverage.

Give the guy some credit. He gets the crap beaten out of him, is consistently one the most sacked QB's in the league, and had a 500 yard game in 2009. When's the last time a Bills QB threw for more than 300 yards? Yes, I know that most of the time those stats are bloated because the team is throwing the whole time because they are behind, but good lord, give me a break. You don't win consistently in the NFL without a quality QB. Spare me the, "but Dilfer and Johnson won a Superbowl" takes.

It's like talking about Constitutional Case Law. For every case that rule x becomes the norm, there's at least 2 cases to prove the opposite point. Having Dilfer in your back pocket has become the norm when talking about bad QB play. The Bills had ELITE defenses and ELITE special teams in the same year in the 2000's-see 03 and 04, did we make the playoffs?

The other thing that makes QB's very good to great and now Trent Edwards as an example is: They are not afraid to put there ball where their playmakers can make the plays...it seems to me Trent has to have everything perfect to succeed: Great protection and a wide open WR. The reality of the NFL is: that does not happen all that much. It is up to the QB to put the ball ina spot where it is very tough for the defense to intercept the ball and allow a WR to go up and get it...hence the need for the Bills to have bigger WR's.

With all due respect to the Manning family Eli is not what i would call and elite QB just yet although improving, and whether or not folks agree, he certainly was not the best QB in his super bowl.

Eli Manning had a very good season in 2009; throwing for over 4000 yards, 7.9 yards per pass attempt, and a QB rating of 93.1. He also played well in the 2007 playoffs and in the Super Bowl; and was named the MVP of that game. I'm not suggesting that Eli Manning is as good as Brady. Eli Manning may have been the better quarterback on the day of that Super Bowl due to a combination of Manning's rising to the occasion and Brady's injury. But that fact aside, I agree that the Giants' defense and offensive line did a better job than their Patriots' counterparts; and that that difference in play was critical in deciding the outcome of the Super Bowl.

By no means am I suggesting here that a good quarterback, alone, is nearly enough to give you a good football team. He's simply the most critical and hardest-to-obtain piece of the puzzle; and should be considered the most potentially valuable player acquisition you can make in any rebuilding effort.

Guest dog14787
The other thing that makes QB's very good to great and now Trent Edwards as an example is: They are not afraid to put there ball where their playmakers can make the plays...it seems to me Trent has to have everything perfect to succeed: Great protection and a wide open WR. The reality of the NFL is: that does not happen all that much. It is up to the QB to put the ball ina spot where it is very tough for the defense to intercept the ball and allow a WR to go up and get it...hence the need for the Bills to have bigger WR's.

The reality is you need good protection to even tell what the QB is fully capable of doing. The reality is the QB needs enough time for a pass pattern to develop to even throw the ball that you seem to think TE is afraid to throw which is just not true in my opinion.

Why in the world would TE be less afraid of getting slammed down and twisted up like a pretzel then he would just throwing the ball. What good does it do for TE to chunk the ball down the field ahead of time before the receiver even gets to were he needs to be?

Get slammed down from behind enough and you start speeding through your progressions and are no longer in sync with your receivers. Even the best QB's in the league will eventually get happy feet playing behind a horrible O-line in my opinion.

In this day and age it may very well be a QB driven league and with that in mind anybody with any common sense should know priority one would be to protect the QB at all cost.

The reality is you need good protection to even tell what the QB is fully capable of. The reality is the QB needs enough time for a pass pattern to develop to even throw the ball that you seem to think TE is afraid to throw which is just simply not true in my opinion.

Why in the world would TE be less afraid of getting slammed down and twisted up like a pretzel then he would just throwing the ball. What good does it for TE to chunk the ball down the field ahead of time before the receiver even gets to were he needs to be?

Get slammed down from behind enough and you start speeding up your progressions and are no longer in sync with your receivers. Even the best QB's in the league will eventually get happy feet playing behind a horrible O-line in my opinion.

In this day and age it may very well be a QB driven league and with that in mind anybody with any common sense should know priority one would be to protect the QB at all cost.

Yes that is true...but if you have a QB that makes plays, gets the ball where the playmakers can make plays, reads the defenses well etc...the defense is forced to adjust based on the QB's skill level...so maybe they rush less lineman, blitz less, etc.

I agree our OL isn't good, but we need a QB. First and foremost.

Guest dog14787
Yes that is true...but if you have a QB that makes plays, gets the ball where the playmakers can make plays, reads the defenses well etc...the defense is forced to adjust based on the QB's skill level...so maybe they rush less lineman, blitz less, etc.

I agree our OL isn't good, but we need a QB. First and foremost.

Good timing is the key to success between a QB and his receivers and its practically impossible to have with bad protection.

None of us have any idea as to whether Bradford, Clausen, etc. will be great or not. Don't pretend as if you do have an idea.

[/quote

IF bradford fell to 9 I wouldn't argue against taking him . To trade up for him is another story .

I love the dilfer and brad johnson arguments. There are 20+ examples of good/great QB play winning in the playoffs and the superbowl. There are 2 examples against good/great QB play.

Don't you think it's easier to just get a good/great QB than trying to get great at EVERY other position on the field and then hoping your QB doesn't make a mistake?

It's like trying to make really good money working minimum wage jobs. Can it be done? Yes, but you'll have to work 80 or 90 hours a week to get it done. I'd rather get a better paying job and work 40-50 hours a week and have free time to enjoy with friends/family.

I don't know were any was talking about filling every other position . I think the point is if you find a qb you like take him if not don't force the issue and move on to other needs .