It is a QB driven league.

The folks on NFLN were talking last week about how this is a pure QB driven league and how it is so much so, several GM's and HC had said to them they are thinking of doing away with Safety's and instead putting 4 CB's on the field. The only exception would be a guy like Troy P etal that can hit and cover really well.

They also said the old philosophy of 'run and stop the run' is pretty much gone from this game. It is all about QB play, getting to the QB and defending the pass.

With 10 guys all throwing for more than 4000 yards last year, and the rules protecting QB's and limiting the DB's I agree.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or... is it an Offensive Lineman's League?

Well lets see, Clady from the Broncos is a probowl LT and they did nothing this year. Indy and NO had scrubs at LT and made the superbowl. Don't the Browns have one of the best LT's in football? Hummmm....

T jackson with the Vikes had a great OL, Best RB in football and a great defense opposite him and he still sucked. Vikes get whipped in first round of the playoffs in 08. Add Favre and they are in the NFC championship (superbowl if the RB's and WR dont' fumble)

It's all about the QB.

Darth , you keep preaching the qb but at this point and time who is your realistic answer. Wanting one is great but it is not happening right now , fix what we can and move forward

Or... is it an Offensive Lineman's League?

Brees, Manning, Brady, Romo, Rivers, Rodgers, Warner, McNabb, Favre, Palmer.

Uhhhhh...it's a QB's league. There are teams with solid offensive lines that don't get into the playoffs like the Panther (Because Delhomme sucks), Dolphins (Pennington got hurt) and Browns (Brady and Anderson are terrible).

The list of QB's who made the playoffs are the very best the NFL has to offer.

Brees, Manning, Brady, Romo, Rivers, Rodgers, Warner, McNabb, Favre, Palmer.

Uhhhhh...it's a QB's league. There are teams with solid offensive lines that don't get into the playoffs like the Panther (Because Delhomme sucks), Dolphins (Pennington got hurt) and Browns (Brady and Anderson are terrible).

The list of QB's who made the playoffs are the very best the NFL has to offer.

not always

plenty of examples of avg qb's winning superbowls

more than one way to skin a cat. The jets made it to afc championship game with rookie qb who was horrible all regualr season .

not always

plenty of examples of avg qb's winning superbowls

more than one way to skin a cat. The jets made it to afc championship game with rookie qb who was horrible all regualr season .

Name one since Dilfer ...

Even great QBs fold under pressure. Brady folded when the Giants D assaulted him the SB. Manning has looked less than spectacular under pressure, and McNabb looks great until he has an agressive D in his face. Brees wasn't that great his first three years playing behind a subpar line in SD either.

So 12 teams made the playoffs, 10 of the QB's are perrenial Pro Bowlers and the best in the NFL and you pick the QB who is a rookie. How about this, there is a 90+% chance that if you have a great QB, you will make the playoffs way more than you don't.

So 12 teams made the playoffs, 10 of the QB's are perrenial Pro Bowlers and the best in the NFL and you pick the QB who is a rookie. How about this, there is a 90+% chance that if you have a great QB, you will make the playoffs way more than you don't.

How many of those perrenial pro bowlers play behind sorry O-lines?

this is just one season snap shot .

Of course having a great qb helps but getting one is a different story . I just don't see one available to us. No free agents are available and it is a weak draft. Plus you are just as likely to pickup a retread ,(warner,farve) or a late round gamble,(brady) then you are by giving away premuim picks to get one. All this talk is nice but I think If Buddy see's one he can work with he will make a move.

brad johnson

Brad Johnson threw for 30K yds (38th all time) and 166Tds (54th All time) to 120 Ints and was 20 games over .500 for his career.

The year the Bucs won the SB, he threw for 3400 yds, 22TDs and ONLY 6 Ints

Dilfer 20K 113 TDs and 129 Ints and and was 3 games over .500.

The year the Ravens won Dilfer threw for 1500 yds 12 TDs and 11 Ints.

Terrible comparison, Brad Johnson won everywhere he played and was a very good QB, Dilfer never threw for 3K OR 20 TDs in a season and benefited more than any other Qb in the history of the NFL from his defense. Dilfer was horrible

Brad Johnson threw for 30K yds (38th all time) and 166Tds (54th All time) to 120 Ints and was 20 games over .500 for his career.

The year the Bucs won the SB, he threw for 3400 yds, 22TDs and ONLY 6 Ints

Dilfer 20K 113 TDs and 129 Ints and and was 3 games over .500.

The year the Ravens won Dilfer threw for 1500 yds 12 TDs and 11 Ints.

Terrible comparison, Brad Johnson won everywhere he played and was a very good QB, Dilfer never threw for 3K OR 20 TDs in a season and benefited more than any other Qb in the history of the NFL from his defense. Dilfer was horrible

6 pro bowl qbs every year, but that said. Brad johnson was a retread by the time he got tampa. My point is now that we have quality front office people is place they will fine their guy ,it just might not be this year . So why dwell on what we can't do and fix what we can. This team is going to take 2-3 years to get the talent level up.

I am not saying you can't fall into a 10 win year any given season but to build something solid and long lasting you need some serious core players and they come from high draft picks .

6 pro bowl qbs every year, but that said. Brad johnson was a retread by the time he got tampa. My point is now that we have quality front office people is place they will fine their guy ,it just might not be this year . So why dwell on what we can't do and fix what we can. This team is going to take 2-3 years to get the talent level up.

I am not saying you can't fall into a 10 win year any given season but to build something solid and long lasting you need some serious core players and they come from high draft picks .

But your point is irrelevant because it doesn't address the nature of the original post.

Ice's point, and it's correct, is that over the past decade the league has changed from a conservative, ground based nature to a wide open passing attack league. It's changes so much so that defenses are changing the very nature of how they align. You just cannot win a championship in this league without a pro bowl caliber QB. Period. It can't be done and it HASN'T been done since Dilfer.

Yes the Bills also need to fill glaring holes in the trenches and at LB. But even if they do manage to fill those holes in the next 2 seasons, if they don't also get a QB it will not amount to much.

All the people saying "fix the lines first!" are not wrong -- they're just not thinking it all the way through. The Bills aren't going to be a playoff team in '10 no matter who they get in the first round. It's going to take time to fix this mess. But if the opportunity is there to get a game changer at QB, you take him. And don't look back. You can fix the lines later on.

More to the point, what I'm saying is if there is an absolute stud at LT and QB available at #9 (which I'm doubtful of), you take the QB over the LT because they are more important in the "new" NFL. End of story.

Brad Johnson was 7-4 (Injury) with Wash. before coming to the Bucs and the skins won only one other game without him that year. So i'd say he was still pretty good.

You need a QB who can get the ball out of his hand quickly and the Oline will look a whole lot better. The Bills Oline was bad but the QB's were awful and AVP was obsessed with the 5 step drop game and that is a recipe for disaster. Big Ben, Rodgers, Warner hardly have good lines but they get the ball where it's got to go quickly. Watch the Pitt vs SD game this year, Rivers was getting destroyed the whole game but he still made huge plays. I wouldn't say Indy"s line is anything great either but Peyton makes those guys out to look like studs.

But your point is irrelevant because it doesn't address the nature of the original post.

Ice's point, and it's correct, is that over the past decade the league has changed from a conservative, ground based nature to a wide open passing attack league. It's changes so much so that defenses are changing the very nature of how they align. You just cannot win a championship in this league without a pro bowl caliber QB. Period. It can't be done and it HASN'T been done since Dilfer.

Yes the Bills also need to fill glaring holes in the trenches and at LB. But even if they do manage to fill those holes in the next 2 seasons, if they don't also get a QB it will not amount to much.

All the people saying "fix the lines first!" are not wrong -- they're just not thinking it all the way through. The Bills aren't going to be a playoff team in '10 no matter who they get in the first round. It's going to take time to fix this mess. But if the opportunity is there to get a game changer at QB, you take him. And don't look back. You can fix the lines later on.

More to the point, what I'm saying is if there is an absolute stud at LT and QB available at #9 (which I'm doubtful of), you take the QB over the LT because they are more important in the "new" NFL. End of story.

There is no game changer is this draft or in this free agent class. Darth wants a qb but offers no names or no realistic proposals. Post after post after post. When the front finds a guy to invest in then they will pull the trigger. The jets examples works build the foundation then add the qb. When there is no qb available then waht choice do you have?

Brad Johnson was 7-4 (Injury) with Wash. before coming to the Bucs and the skins won only one other game without him that year. So i'd say he was still pretty good.

You need a QB who can get the ball out of his hand quickly and the Oline will look a whole lot better. The Bills Oline was bad but the QB's were awful and AVP was obsessed with the 5 step drop game and that is a recipe for disaster. Big Ben, Rodgers, Warner hardly have good lines but they get the ball where it's got to go quickly. Watch the Pitt vs SD game this year, Rivers was getting destroyed the whole game but he still made huge plays. I wouldn't say Indy"s line is anything great either but Peyton makes those guys out to look like studs.

My point is that needing a qb and finding one are two different things. It does not appear that one will become available in this offseason . Fix the lines and get the qb when you can . Put it this way if you build a top notch o line and have a solid d . Then you find your qb you can go all in money draft picks what ever it takes to get it done.