Don't we need a bunch of new d linemen and LBs?

jahnyc

With the switch to the 3-4, who is going to play defensive end? I don't think that Stroud will be effective at DE (and it is late in his career to be switching outside). Maybe Spencer Johnson, but has he ever played DE? Williams is not a NT nor a DE in the 3-4. McCargo is a bust, and I am shocked he is still on the roster.

At LB, are we really going to move Kelsay to outside LB? Does this make any sense? Can he play that position? Has he ever played in a 3-4? Same with Schobel (also an issue with his age and whether he retires). I thought the outside LB in a 3-4 has coverage responsibilities, and I would surprised if Kelsay/Schobel would be able to handle that. As for Maybin, I have no idea if he will be able to transition to outside LB, but I don't recall that he has any experience in that role. Same with Ellis.

I would think that Poz and Mitchell would be able to play the inside in the 3-4.

Seems to me that we need a NT, at least one DE and at least one outside LB for the new scheme (all as starters). Otherwise, we will have a bunch of guys playing new positions without much prior experience in those roles.

You are dead on, welcome to rebuildong 1001, yes 1001. Ke;say will stay a DE, Schobel will as well. I think with Maybins and Ellis' speed and size they are good fits for OLB, but that transistion is a HUGE?

Really, Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix see it differently. They see Kelsay, Ellis, Maybin and if he stays Schobel all at OLB they are all to small to be DEs in the new scheme and actually may even fit OLB better than DE to begin with. Good homework though.

It's insanity to enter the regular season (EDIT:without) any DL or LB experienced in the 3-4. There's time left, but hoping and wishing Kelsay, Schobel, Ellis, Sp. Johnson, and Stroud will fit the new defense is redonkulous. And on top of that, they're hoping Maybin will transition into another defense and a new position.

Moves like this remind me of the OL circa last season. Multiple positional switches like this are not the way to win games. Good luck George Edwards.

I really believe Mcclain would be a great first round pick for us if we do move to the 3-4 (inspite of his hamstring injury). Him and Poz as middle linebackers (I guess he would be battling with Mitchel for that spot) would work for the new system and George Edwards can bring him along.

Nose tackle might be a question. I heard some news that we might go after Jason Ferguson if available but his age would be a factor.

I really believe Mcclain would be a great first round pick for us if we do move to the 3-4 (inspite of his hamstring injury). Him and Poz as middle linebackers (I guess he would be battling with Mitchel for that spot) would work for the new system and George Edwards can bring him along.

Nose tackle might be a question. I heard some news that we might go after Jason Ferguson if available but his age would be a factor.

McClain super. I guess you would step in and play one of the two desperately needed offensive tackle positions?

McClain super. I guess you would step in and play one of the two desperately needed offensive tackle positions?

We have plenty of desparate needs. And it's sounding like there's a better chance that the OTs will be taken before our pick. If our D can't stop the run this year, it's not going to matter who our tackles are cause they'll never see the field.

We have plenty of desparate needs. And it's sounding like there's a better chance that the OTs will be taken before our pick. If our D can't stop the run this year, it's not going to matter who our tackles are cause they'll never see the field.

Mcclain is sinking like a damaged ship. Not an everydown backer. Besides if anything we have two solid /decent inside linebackers. We need two o tackles and a run stuffing n.t just to field a team at this points

johnson and stroud will have to due at the ends for this year

With the switch to the 3-4, who is going to play defensive end? I don't think that Stroud will be effective at DE (and it is late in his career to be switching outside). Maybe Spencer Johnson, but has he ever played DE? Williams is not a NT nor a DE in the 3-4. McCargo is a bust, and I am shocked he is still on the roster.

At LB, are we really going to move Kelsay to outside LB? Does this make any sense? Can he play that position? Has he ever played in a 3-4? Same with Schobel (also an issue with his age and whether he retires). I thought the outside LB in a 3-4 has coverage responsibilities, and I would surprised if Kelsay/Schobel would be able to handle that. As for Maybin, I have no idea if he will be able to transition to outside LB, but I don't recall that he has any experience in that role. Same with Ellis.

I would think that Poz and Mitchell would be able to play the inside in the 3-4.

Seems to me that we need a NT, at least one DE and at least one outside LB for the new scheme (all as starters). Otherwise, we will have a bunch of guys playing new positions without much prior experience in those roles.

Stroud is both our best and most athletic big man. I think he's going to do extremely well at DE. He needs double-teams to stop him in the middle, and I don't see one OL stopping him easily. On the other side, it looks like maybe Kyle Williams at DE and probably also at NT on passing downs to give a breather to our NT, who is probably not on the roster. Williams' talents make him a bit of a question mark at DE, but with his heart, it's a fairly good bet that he won't be a major weakness even if he isn't a major strength.

It's at LB that we are going to have problems. We are going to throw Maybin, Ellis, Kelsay and a few others at the problem, but except if we get lucky with Maybin, there doesn't seem to be anyone athletic enough to make that switch and be a long-term plus at the position. It would be wonderful to be wrong about that, but DE to LB is a huge switch, not an easy one to make.

So, yeah, we need new guys. That's just what happens when you switch defenses. Fans always assume you can just plug guys in anywhere you feel like, but it rarely works out unless the guys are extremely athletic, like Stroud and possibly Maybin.

Mcclain is sinking like a damaged ship. Not an everydown backer. Besides if anything we have two solid /decent inside linebackers. We need two o tackles and a run stuffing n.t just to field a team at this points

johnson and stroud will have to due at the ends for this year

McClain is sinking? Maybe to about #12 or #13.

Whether he's our best pick is highly debatable, but he's not sinking significantly. It's just the usual draft muddle.

McCargo may make a better 34 end than he did a 43 DT at least as a back up , for a year.If not he gets cut at camp. No way can they get a "bunch of Linebackers/ DE in one year. They will hybidize what they can , this year , but the roster is heading for some major overhauls over the next 2 years.

I dont see why so many fans think Stroud and WIlliams cannot play in this system. Their roles are not going to be much different than what they were last year. IMO Williams is going to be a stud if he get a real NT for him to play next to, just a hunch I have had for years.