Potential Picks

As we move towards our first draft with Buddy Nix at the helm, I think we could see a fundamental difference in drafting -- both in strategy and geography. Buddy Nix knows the south. It's what he's typically scouted, and it's been good to him. I for one am ecstatic that we could be looking towards the SE for more picks. I've always thought the notion of selecting northern players to compete in Buffalo's adverse winter weather was a bit overrated. I think we have to shift our focus to southern schools and players now more than ever. Here are a few picks that I could see happening.

1. Dan Williams - The more I read and think about it, the more I think we could end up with the Tennessee NT/3-Technique with our first pick. From everything I've read and heard, the guy has been a steady riser up draft boards; apparently he wreaked havoc on tape. Now, I still like OT at this spot, but if Okung and whomever else the brass likes at T is gone, I could definitely see this pick coming to fruition.

2. Dexter McCluster - I know some will flame away for even implying this, but if we end up parting ways with Roscoe and McCluster falls to the second, I could see this pick at that point. Before the combine, I thought the kid would end up going towards the end of the 1st, but because he ran in the 4.5s, I could see him slipping a bit. Although he only weighs 172 lbs., McCluster ripped off 20 reps of 225 at the combine. His versatility and play-making ability make him a very unique prospect, and I could see him in the slot, outside, Wildcat and even as a 3rd down RB in the NFL. Everyone tries to knock his durability, but Ole Miss ran him as a traditional RB a lot of the time and he was a able to withstand an SEC beating quite well.

3. Brandon Spikes - Talk about a fall from grace. I remember last year some experts had him as a first-round prospect and now I've seen him fall to the 3rd in some projections. I can't quite understand why. Spikes has great size, he lead one of the nation's best defenses for three years and consistently made timely picks, sacks and monstrous hits. On top of that, the guy is an intimidator with a mean streak. Anyone remember the hit he had on Knowshawn Moreno on the first play of the UF - UGA two years ago? The knock is that he doesn't have elite speed, but in this defense, he doesn't necessarily need it. The guy is a thumper, and if we could get him, I would love to see him lined up next to Poz in our new defense.

I would love to have another Spikes on this team. Too bad he cannot wear the 51 to make my jersey relevant again.

The Spikes connection would be nice. I heard in an interview that this Spikes wheres #51 to honor his favorite NFL linebacker, Dick Butkus.

• 3 weeks later...

I started this thread a while back, but the latest Chan comments seem to make Dexter McCluster really stand out as option in this draft. In fact, outside of Spiller, I'm not even sure how many backs fit that mold. I suppose Jahvid Best could be considered a "water bug" option, but when he talks about the versatility, it seems to scream McCluster.

I for one would be ecstatic if we were to nab him in the 2nd. You can put him all over the place, and he has shown that even with a slight frame, he has been able to hold up pretty well with a serious, SEC workload.

For anyone who hasn't seen the comments:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ft-a-water-bug/

As we move towards our first draft with Buddy Nix at the helm, I think we could see a fundamental difference in drafting -- both in strategy and geography. Buddy Nix knows the south. It's what he's typically scouted, and it's been good to him. I for one am ecstatic that we could be looking towards the SE for more picks. I've always thought the notion of selecting northern players to compete in Buffalo's adverse winter weather was a bit overrated. I think we have to shift our focus to southern schools and players now more than ever. Here are a few picks that I could see happening.

1. Dan Williams - The more I read and think about it, the more I think we could end up with the Tennessee NT/3-Technique with our first pick. From everything I've read and heard, the guy has been a steady riser up draft boards; apparently he wreaked havoc on tape. Now, I still like OT at this spot, but if Okung and whomever else the brass likes at T is gone, I could definitely see this pick coming to fruition.

2. Dexter McCluster - I know some will flame away for even implying this, but if we end up parting ways with Roscoe and McCluster falls to the second, I could see this pick at that point. Before the combine, I thought the kid would end up going towards the end of the 1st, but because he ran in the 4.5s, I could see him slipping a bit. Although he only weighs 172 lbs., McCluster ripped off 20 reps of 225 at the combine. His versatility and play-making ability make him a very unique prospect, and I could see him in the slot, outside, Wildcat and even as a 3rd down RB in the NFL. Everyone tries to knock his durability, but Ole Miss ran him as a traditional RB a lot of the time and he was a able to withstand an SEC beating quite well.

3. Brandon Spikes - Talk about a fall from grace. I remember last year some experts had him as a first-round prospect and now I've seen him fall to the 3rd in some projections. I can't quite understand why. Spikes has great size, he lead one of the nation's best defenses for three years and consistently made timely picks, sacks and monstrous hits. On top of that, the guy is an intimidator with a mean streak. Anyone remember the hit he had on Knowshawn Moreno on the first play of the UF - UGA two years ago? The knock is that he doesn't have elite speed, but in this defense, he doesn't necessarily need it. The guy is a thumper, and if we could get him, I would love to see him lined up next to Poz in our new defense.

While NT is a very big need for the Bills, I haven't read enough consistently good things about Dan Williams to think he is worth a pick that high. I am not impressed with somebody's mock draft projecting him to the top 15, I want to see scouting reports that really suggest that he is worth that high a pick. What I've seen is that even though he is big and strong with pretty good athleticism, he can consistently be pushed back by OL due to not getting good leverage.

This team CAN NOT afford to draft a gimmick player like McCluster in round 2. They need big men at OT, NT, DE and LB

way before a part-time RB.

Brandon Spikes has slipped because he isn't the athlete that many thought he was. I read somewhere that he recently ran a 5.0 40 time. That is very slow for an ILB - you'd hope that he'd be around 4.8 or better. Still, he'd seem to be an intersting pick in the 3rd round.

with our biggest needs being Oline, Dline, QB, OLB and WR, we can't expect to pick up a potential playmaker at each spot.

As of now, we only have three picks in the top 3 rounds. Two of those needs listed above won't be met with someone of significance.

We have to be realistic and expect not all holes will be filled after the draft.

But i will say, please Buddy, trade DOWN

I started this thread a while back, but the latest Chan comments seem to make Dexter McCluster really stand out as option in this draft. In fact, outside of Spiller, I'm not even sure how many backs fit that mold. I suppose Jahvid Best could be considered a "water bug" option, but when he talks about the versatility, it seems to scream McCluster.

I for one would be ecstatic if we were to nab him in the 2nd. You can put him all over the place, and he has shown that even with a slight frame, he has been able to hold up pretty well with a serious, SEC workload.

For anyone who hasn't seen the comments:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ft-a-water-bug/

I saw the Nix interview, too, and it didn't make me think of McClusker. He doesn't mention how early or late to get a water bug, but I think you can get a pretty good one late. I don't expect us to go RB in the second, though it's just a guess on both of our parts, obviously.

I'd love Williams or Spikes, though.

I have always believed (Bill-ieved?) that drafting by value for that spot is overrated. Borderline stupid.

The draft is in some respects a crap shoot.

So get who you like. Draft the player you want. Period. Dont say "I cant take this guy at 9 because he isnt projected in the top 20."

Of course, if you think he can slip all the way to you in the next round (or wherever your next pick is) that's different. And please dont tell me about Donte, because again, its a crap shoot. They liked him for some reason, and even if he was servicable (still up for debate) at least you got a good player, instead of one of those first round bums who is out of the league in 3 years.

All of this to say I'm totally cool with Williams at 9 (if okung is gone, which he will be), or maybe McClain. I dont care if Williams is projected to be a 2nd round pick (unless WE can wait and snag him in the 2nd).

When a poster a couple weeks ago asked who you would take off any current NFL team (except qb) I said Wilfork. We NEED that position to make the entire defense work. If you like Williams for that NEED position, please take him. 3-4 DT might be harder to find than LT anyway.

Apparently you aren't around the boards that often because all three of those players have been discussed, that being said no RB in the first 3 round, No dan williams at #9...I'd love to see spikes drafted by us