Mike Iupati - The most intriguing guy in the draft.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...+Top+Stories%29

Widely considered the top prospect at guard — NFLDraftScout.com, USA TODAY's scouting service, ranks Iupati the No. 15 player overall and the only guard projected to go in the first two rounds — he could also get a long look at the more valued left tackle position or even on defense.

"I really love defense," Iupati, who played collegiately at Idaho, said Thursday at the scouting combine. "That's my favorite passion of the game of football.

TOP 64 PROSPECTS: Iupati in top 15 players of NFL draft class

"I always try to push my coach to make me a defensive player because I know I am pretty good at that."

Iupati did play in the Vandals' defensive goal-line packages, but given his talent on the other side of the ball, the only position switch that seems likely is a shift away from his interior position.

"I'm very quick setting up my left side," says Iupati (6-5, 331 pounds), who primarily played left guard in college and models his game after Minnesota Vikings all-pro Steve Hutchinson.

But he worked at left tackle at the Senior Bowl last month. He's also received instruction from Jackie Slater, a Hall-of-Fame tackle for the Los Angeles and St. Louis Rams for 20 years.

"I need a little time with it and I know I'll be fine. You've got to give me time," Iupati says.

I'm not saying the Bills should draft him but he's a very intriguing prospect. I don't see him on defense but his ability to play OT and OG are interesting. If the Bills think they can get him into the LT spot fairly quickly then I would say to take him.

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/...ayers/9146.html

Bottom line: Big, strong guards with good athleticism who block with intensity and passion are tough to find. Iupati must learn to be consistent with his technique but projects as a good NFL starter. Many say he can switch to tackle, but we feel he is best suited to stay at guard. He could be a solid NFL tackle but has the tools to be a Pro Bowl guard.

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-footba...urning-heads-nf

Mike Iupati, G, Idaho. With mammoth size (6-foot-5, 325 pounds) and a nasty disposition on the field, Iupati has been punishing defensive linemen in drills. Iupati could make good on his goal to be the first guard selected.

"You've got to be physical to dominate," Iupati said. "I wanted to come here and showcase my athleticism, that I am worthy to be the No. 1 guard. I am very competitive."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/20...entality-o-line

Whichever team drafts Iupati — he's expected to go in the middle of the first round — will get a player with an easy-going demeanor off the field but with a nasty DNA on it. He smiled frequently and spoke softly during an interview at the NFL Scouting Combine on Thursday. But listen to his game plan.

Although he played left guard throughout his career at Idaho, Iupati was moved to right guard in the Senior Bowl. He even played some snaps at right tackle during practice. He believes versatility will only make him more valuable.

That's one reason Iupati has been working out with Pro Football Hall of Fame tackle Jackie Slater in Irvine, Calif. Slater has been focusing on Iupati's technique at left tackle — just in case an NFL team wants him to play there.

"I think it's pretty good to be the best guard," Iupati said, " but being versatile will mean a great deal and hopefully move me up the draft boards.

"Whatever team picks me, and wherever they want me to play, I will definitely give them 110 percent and be the best at that position."

"When it comes to football, I like to destroy a lot of people," he said. "It's fun."

His attitude reminds me of Eric Wood's. Another guy on the line like that would be killer! :thumbsup:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/2...sical-abilities

Posted Jan. 27, 2010 @ 10:20 a.m.

By Nolan Nawrocki

Third in a series of player reports during Senior Bowl week.

OG Mike Iupati

Idaho senior

Ht: 6-5 1/4 | Wt: 330 | 40-time: 5.3 (estimated)

Upside: Excellent size with a thick build and long arms. Very good upper-body strength and base to anchor. Possesses outstanding playing strength — carries a load in his hands to jar defenders. Easily manhandles defenders when he gets his hands on them. Knocks defenders off-balance with a jab. Is rarely on the ground. Powerful drive blocker — consistently re-establishes the line of scrimmage, generates power and creates running lanes. Carries his weight very well and effortlessly ragdolls defenders. Very good awareness and peripheral vision — quickly locates second-level defenders and eliminates linebackers. Consistently blocks multiple defenders. Effective short-puller — does a nice job wrapping tightly.

Downside: Too often reaches and grabs when trying to block on the second level. Footwork can use refinement — crosses his feet and cannot always recover from missteps. Can show better timing and patience and at times can be too aggressive and slip off blocks. Played in a mid-major conference. Shoulder surgery in 2008 warrants further examination. May have language barriers — moved from American Samoa and is still learning English as a second language.

The way we see it: A big-boned, power player who makes it look easy, Iupati jumps off the screen and should dominate as a road-grading left guard for the next 10 years, with terrific arm length and athletic ability to play left or right tackle.

Great attitude, physical skills, mental skills, what's not to like? :bag:

well could put him at OG and use Levitre for RT. I like the attitude and lunch box mentality

If you moved Iupati to LG and moved Levitre to RT then who is your LT, the most critical position on the line? There are quality quards who will be available in the 3rd round. That is not the case for the LT position. Most analysts believe that there will be a run on LTs in this draft very eary in the process. The Bills need to get that position solidifed with their first pick. For those arguing for a qb there is a strong probability that Bradford and Clausen might not be on the board when our turn comes up.

My best case scenario is for us to address the lines with our first three picks and take Garrett Brown in the fourth as our qb prospect. In general, the Bills are a rather light team, especially on the DL. They need to get bigger and stronger.

OP:

I like Iupati, but dont like the idea of making college guards NFL tackles. I believe that his college coach would have made him an LT long ago if he were best suited for it- its not like Idaho has tons of talent that kept him inside. Id be fine with him as the all pro G people suggest he can be.

If you moved Iupati to LG and moved Levitre to RT then who is your LT, the most critical position on the line? There are quality quards who will be available in the 3rd round. That is not the case for the LT position. Most analysts believe that there will be a run on LTs in this draft very eary in the process. The Bills need to get that position solidifed with their first pick. For those arguing for a qb there is a strong probability that Bradford and Clausen might not be on the board when our turn comes up.

My best case scenario is for us to address the lines with our first three picks and take Garrett Brown in the fourth as our qb prospect. In general, the Bills are a rather light team, especially on the DL. They need to get bigger and stronger.

The Bills are 2 or 3 solid drafts away from being able to compete for a wild card. We cant afford to force anything (like forcing davis or campbell into the top 10 because we are desperate for an OT) in the draft and have the luxury ( if you can call it that) of being able to put off obtaining a top LT or QB because we are not desperate at any single position. Charles Brown from USC could be a LT available in the 2nd round, who could also play RT in the event we add the top LT next year. We can go may different ways, but if we added the next Steve Hutchinsen with the #9 pick it would be a great pick in the long run.

OP:

I like Iupati, but dont like the idea of making college guards NFL tackles. I believe that his college coach would have made him an LT long ago if he were best suited for it- its not like Idaho has tons of talent that kept him inside. Id be fine with him as the all pro G people suggest he can be.

The Bills are 2 or 3 solid drafts away from being able to compete for a wild card. We cant afford to force anything (like forcing davis or campbell into the top 10 because we are desperate for an OT) in the draft and have the luxury ( if you can call it that) of being able to put off obtaining a top LT or QB because we are not desperate at any single position. Charles Brown from USC could be a LT available in the 2nd round, who could also play RT in the event we add the top LT next year. We can go may different ways, but if we added the next Steve Hutchinsen with the #9 pick it would be a great pick in the long run.

I love Iaputi as a player and yes you could make him your short yardage NT- and in the future who knows maybe that is his home. He is a safe pick because if all else fails he will be come a pro bowl guard. The center of your line could become Wood Incognito and Iaputi. I would be very comfortable with those three especially since the AFC east has some outstanding NT's who need to be neutralized. If we are going to be a WC or a Pistol offense than the short passing game with short drops by the QB is more important than the 5-7 step drops the long ball requires. As long as the QB can step up in the pocket you can get the short pass off. The pressure from inside kills the short passing game. Also Iaputi can play tackle in the event of injury and might turn out to be a LT or RT eventually. let's get some great linemen in here who love to hit people and really want to play ball.

I think this will leave us about ten guards, one center and no tackles.

But I really hope the "lets draft a guy and put him at another position philosophy" ended with the release of DJ & JG.

It would be tough to take him with a first round pick unless it was in the 20s and we got a few extra picks out of the trade back. We need some tackles. That being said, if he's that good and would solidify the line, I'd take him, move Wood to C (once healthy), leave Levitre where he is and put Iupati at RG. You now have two high-end backups in the interior OL and hopefully would be able to put together two starting tackles from what you have (Bell and Meredith) and a draft pick and FA.

I think this will leave us about ten guards, one center and no tackles.

But I really hope the "lets draft a guy and put him at another position philosophy" ended with the release of DJ & JG.

They did that with Wood, Levitre and Byrd last year and it seemed to work for all three of them.

I realize the Bills won't be able to take him unless they trade back but I wish the Bills didn't have so many holes. This guy and Wood alone would make the Bills line fearsome! I hope the Bills can trade back and pick up a LT and him.

I love Iaputi as a player and yes you could make him your short yardage NT- and in the future who knows maybe that is his home. He is a safe pick because if all else fails he will be come a pro bowl guard. The center of your line could become Wood Incognito and Iaputi. I would be very comfortable with those three especially since the AFC east has some outstanding NT's who need to be neutralized. If we are going to be a WC or a Pistol offense than the short passing game with short drops by the QB is more important than the 5-7 step drops the long ball requires. As long as the QB can step up in the pocket you can get the short pass off. The pressure from inside kills the short passing game. Also Iaputi can play tackle in the event of injury and might turn out to be a LT or RT eventually. let's get some great linemen in here who love to hit people and really want to play ball.

I don't think Incognito plays C. I also don't think he'll be re-signed. If the Bills wanted him then they would have singed him by now. I don't think he has the discipline Chansaw expects from his players. I'd really like to see them give him another chance because he's a good player and should come cheap. I also don't believe Wood will get a chance to be the starting C this year due to his injury. I'm guessing that Hangartner keeps the C job for now. So a line of Iupati, Hangartner and Wood would be pretty cool.

Iupati will be a guard, and stop with the Levitre at tackle BS. NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

The knock on Levitre being a T is that his arms are too short. His best fit is inside.

Maybe Trent Williams is the most intriguing - he's played RT, LT, and C and he's both bigger and faster than Suh and McCoy.

The Pro Football Weekly Draft Guide says that he's lazy and has bust potential. I don't like that, especially on a guy with the last name Williams.

• 1 month later...
Bump.

Has there been any interest from the Bills at all in this guy? I'll be cheering for us to grab him.

When you bumped this I went back and looked at his stats and he has 35 inch arms. That's a very good thing for a LT so he could easily be moved to LT if the Bills think he's ready out of the box. I really like what I've read about his work ethic and nasty streak. If the Bills take him at #9 I'd be very happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlJ-ZjbWcJE interview was great...I love this guy...if the top three tackles Okung, Bulaga, and Williams are off the board, I wouldn't mind this beast of a man going to Buffalo...he could play tackle, and Levitre played well at the short time he spent at LT this past season...so I wouldn't be against throwing this guy in the mix and seeing what happens...Iupati, Levitre, Hangartner, Wood, Green is a good enough line to win ball games...Levitre and Iupati could compete for the LT position and either way I think they'd be alright...

He was also not playing LT at all until the senior bowl and went up against the toughest college DE's and "wasn't that great" ???...he didn't get beat too often from what I seen...he also blocked the greatest (Suh) one on one and schooled the dude...Iupati is something special...I'd love to see him in Buffalo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlJ-ZjbWcJE interview was great...I love this guy...if the top three tackles Okung, Bulaga, and Williams are off the board, I wouldn't mind this beast of a man going to Buffalo...he could play tackle, and Levitre played well at the short time he spent at LT this past season...so I wouldn't be against throwing this guy in the mix and seeing what happens...Iupati, Levitre, Hangartner, Wood, Green is a good enough line to win ball games...Levitre and Iupati could compete for the LT position and either way I think they'd be alright...

He was also not playing LT at all until the senior bowl and went up against the toughest college DE's and "wasn't that great" ???...he didn't get beat too often from what I seen...he also blocked the greatest (Suh) one on one and schooled the dude...Iupati is something special...I'd love to see him in Buffalo...

He strikes me as an Eric Wood type guy. A guy who loves the violence of the field but can put it behind him when he steps off it.

:rolleyes:

Iupati looks interesting, but I would only want him drafted if they move Wood to center and they started him at left guard. I would not want them to draft him thinking left tackle. I would much rather they find someone that has played LT for at least a couple years in college vs someone that needs to come up to speed on the position.