More Change You Can Believe In

/dev/null

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benign idjits don't start wars, create the Department of Homeland Defense, or sign the Patriot Act.

I meant benign in the sense that he had no interest in peeping in on the conversations of his political enemies.

As to those other things you mention, I think he's in the finest tradition of our first failed president - James Madison who started our first extra-territorial war, and several times drew plans to coerce the separate states into complying with federal edicts - including the collection of taxes - by use of force.

Benign idjits don't start wars, create the Department of Homeland Defense, or sign the Patriot Act.

I'll give on the war one, but the other two were creations of full steamrolling of Congress, with popular support to override a veto. Granted Bush didn't threaten a veto, but hard to do that when Senate votes 99-1, and House at 85% for the legislation. My memory recalls Bush admin being opposed to the cretaion of Homleand Defense, while Patriot Act did not introduce new concepts into law, just combined them all in one big piece of legislation. The reason the act came together so quickly is that they just took existing regulations and threw them into a single document.