Philadelphia beer fans, I need a recommended destination

The Poojer

for either today or tomorrow to check out the local beer scene...last week hit Victory and was very impressed by the place...did nodding head the week before, this is my way of getting to know the area...any recommendations for the suburb areas would be great....not sure i want to venture into center city where i know i can find some...also not into driving the distance to either yeungling or stoudts this weekend...want to do that when the weather is better...thanks in advance....

for either today or tomorrow to check out the local beer scene...last week hit Victory and was very impressed by the place...did nodding head the week before, this is my way of getting to know the area...any recommendations for the suburb areas would be great....not sure i want to venture into center city where i know i can find some...also not into driving the distance to either yeungling or stoudts this weekend...want to do that when the weather is better...thanks in advance....

PM KRC

Call me ASAP. There is a Brewfest going on today that I will be attending. Lots of local breweries will be there giving out samples. I will PM with my number.

world cafe or maggio's? i was looking at those...problem is my housemates are moving up today and their eta is 3-ish, so my time is kind of handcuffed as I am helping them unload their truck

Call me ASAP. There is a Brewfest going on today that I will be attending. Lots of local breweries will be there giving out samples. I will PM with my number.

Pooj,

Find a place that serves Pliny The Elder from Russian River. Philly is the only city east of Colorado that they distribute this beer to. It is the quintessential double IPA, absolutely fantastic. According to this link, there are four pubs that currently serve it in Philly.

world cafe or maggio's? i was looking at those...problem is my housemates are moving up today and their eta is 3-ish, so my time is kind of handcuffed as I am helping them unload their truck

Maggio's. If you want dinner at a place that has a good beer list, try the Iron Abbey. If you like Belgian beers, that is the place to go. The food is just OK and a little pricey, but you go there for the beer. Another option is to hit Iron Hill. They brew their own. Beer is good and the food is good. There are several locations in the area, so you can pick the one closest to you (probably Media or Phoenixville for you). If you are heading out with your housemates after moving, I would suggest Iron Hill.

Not quite your question, but I am loving me the Nugget Nectar brwed by Troeg's , I think out of Harrisburg. Lots of places to get it i think in Philly.

Also, great thread about Philly beer places here

http://www.flyersphans.com/forums/showthre...72&page=488

Yep its a flyers board, and this thread is like 500 pages long, but the link should bring you to about pg 489. Great places talked about in there..

well the house we are moving into is in malvern, so i went looking around, and found i was even closer to victory than i was in trooper....so i made a return visit to Victory....had the wild devil(?) thought it was awful, but slugged it down then had a hop devil to get the taste out of my mouth...then bought a case of various victory products and went and did the unloading and moving thing....how was the maggio thing??

So...Where did you go?

well the house we are moving into is in malvern, so i went looking around, and found i was even closer to victory than i was in trooper....so i made a return visit to Victory....had the wild devil(?) thought it was awful, but slugged it down then had a hop devil to get the taste out of my mouth...then bought a case of various victory products and went and did the unloading and moving thing....how was the maggio thing??

Maggios was pretty good. A good selection of beers, but the band was too loud. They also could have done a better job with the food. Who serves mussels at a beerfest? That is just asking for trouble.

I was not impressed with Wild Devil. The yeast was pretty funky. My favorites from Victory are Prima Pils, Hop Devil and Old Horizontal.

Just a reminder, we still need to get together sometime to drink a few brewski's. :thumbsup:

Some of my favorites:

Monk's Cafe: Top 10 place in the world to get a beer http://www.monkscafe.com/ . The Holy Grail for beer drinkers. Kind of pricey, but worth it when you want to treat yourself. - Center City

Quotations: Across the street from Iron Hill Brewery in Media, but alot less expensive. They have a great revolving selection of brews from all over. http://www.quotationsrestaurant.com/ . Last time I was here, they had the whole Ellicotville Brewing Company selection and the beers range from $3-$6, even for the Belgian's. Good TV's to watch the hockey game, too. This one is my suggestion for today, and if you don't like it, walk across the street to Iron Hill.

Hawthorne's: Brand New, just opened up in South Philly by where I live. http://hawthornecafe.com/

They have an interesting system. The walls are coolers separated by regions of the world (i.e. Belgium, American Brews, Local Brews, etc.) and you can either have the beers there or take them to go. It's like a high end take out beer place where you can buy per bottle. They're new, so there are some inconsistencies (no TV's, have to spend $15 to use your card), but they have a nice fireplace and some good food, too. They also brew their own and they sell by the growlers. In fact, if you have a growler from anywhere, you can bring it in and they'll fill it for you.

Eulogy: Pricey, but great selection & food. http://eulogybar.server101.com/ -- Right on Chestnut St. in Center City.

Also, if you're looking for take out by the case, go here: http://www.bellavistabeverage.com/index.htm

They have 2500 different cases of beer, and that's not a typo. -- South Philly across the street from Hawthorne's.

Iron Hill is good, Yard's Brewery tour is awesome, Victory is also a great choice.