Question about tipping at restaurants.....

The Poojer

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked in eateries in my youth. Including waiting. I also busted my nuts in grocery stores, stocking shelves, shagging carts through snow-covered lots, bagging groceries till my back ached. The cashiers on their feet banged keys with their right hand, often non-stop. That was far harder work than walking a dish out to a table, or having to listen and jot down a customer's request.

Yet - no tips for me, or the cashiers, eh? We never uttered inanities like "Hi! I'm stuckincincy! I'm your server? My name is xxx. Is everything OK? No problem!"

I've had it up to here with this poor plight of the downtrodden server mantra. If it's so bad, get another job...jeeze...that crowd (and their fawning acolytes) should keep their sob stories to themselves and not use them in craven, selfish effort to extract extra cash from the hide of the buying public. :blink:

I'm glad that with the state of the economy, people are wising up and discovering that that 20 buck meal can be made for 5 bucks at home.

With no lip.

Yeah, or the poor plight of the downtrodden customer mantra, having to put up with people actually talking to them. Those low life servers have a lot of nerve. :D

Don't be thick. See - you call them low life. My wife and me take a Saturday breakfast out, at a chain named Frish's. Two eggs and dry rye toast for her. Me...1 egg, 2 white toast, hash browns, 3 pc. bacon - one piece forked over onto my wife's plate. Bill? $11.08. 2 dollar tip. We are there about 45 minutes.

In that time, my rather elderly waitress probably waits on 30 other tables. Gets that reduced minimum wage. but probably pocketed

50 bucks in tips. Got a guess about how much that was reported as income? She told us in January about her fab cruise to the Caribbean in December. A trip to Branson is in the works.

The outfit (not unusual) has a strict plan to allocate tables to this or that waiter or waitress. We once seated ourselves ( ;) ) and witnessed a fight over who had the rights to the table. We mere downtrodden customers had to watch a loud fight.

I worked in eateries in my youth. Including waiting. I also busted my nuts in grocery stores, stocking shelves, shagging carts through snow-covered lots, bagging groceries till my back ached. The cashiers on their feet banged keys with their right hand, often non-stop. That was far harder work than walking a dish out to a table, or having to listen and jot down a customer's request.

Yet - no tips for me, or the cashiers, eh? We never uttered inanities like "Hi! I'm stuckincincy! I'm your server! My name is xxx! Is everything OK? No problem!"

I've had it up to here with this poor plight of the downtrodden server mantra. If it's so bad, get another job...jeeze...that crowd (and their fawning acolytes) should keep their sob stories to themselves and not use them in craven, selfish effort to extract extra cash from the hide of the buying public. :blink:

I'm glad that with the state of the economy, people are wising up and discovering that that 20 buck meal can be made for 5 bucks at home.

With no lip.

So, if good waitresses and bartenders should get better jobs who would do the serving work? The least competent people with no other options?

Sure, that's where I want to go eat and drink. A place where the people who work there are only there because they can't get something better.

Even McDonalds pays minimum wage or better.

I actually get that, and know hairdressers who have said the same thing re. buying their own equipment. It's just--when you're paying for a service, where do you draw the line? And do you need to account for how your "server" is getting paid? That is, if you know your waitress is only making $2/hr, does that mean that you should tip her more, as opposed to if she's making $10/hr?

Actually when it comes to tips, I consider that part of the service. If the service has made my dining experience more pleasant and relaxing, I do not mind tipping.

If a hair stylist really does a great job on my wife's cut/style/color, and it was a relaxing "time-out" from her real world, she tips accordingly.

If the service was poor, do not expect a tip from me. I am not the government and do not subsidize incompetence.

I got a set of windshield wipers from a parts store that installs them for you (usually a sixty second no tip perk). I had a broken piece on the blade assembly the guy had to find, fart around with for almost a half hour, and charge me and extra buck fifty for; I gave him ten bucks and told him to keep the change. Yeah, ten bucks is not a lot but I am unemployed again, so it was a lot for me! I always reward good service as best as I can.