Watch what they do, not what they say

At Gailey's recent press event he indicated he was not done evaluating the QB's currently on the roster. Yet we have reports from Sal Palantonio and others (if we can believe them) indicating that the Bills have contacted the Eagles expressing interest in their QB's.

Obviously if the Bills are working on a trade or other form of QB acquisition they will not acknowledge it publicly - not only would this be a bit disrespectful to the QB's on their roster, but it would also signal to potential trading partners how desperate they are to make a trade (thereby reducing their negotiating position in trade talks). The Bills will only acknowledge these discussions after something is consummated. I just think that the Bills would not even have made the call to the Eagles, had they not had a clear idea of where they are headed. Thoughts?

The subterfuge emanating from OBD will only increase leading up to free agency and the draft. It happens for 32 franchises each and every off-season and to on March 5th, they'll have ample opportunity to begin filling the numerous holes on their roster.

Still, it's clear there's not a whole lot available in the way of QB's. McNabb won't be going to Buffalo, and Vick is not a full time answer. What's also evident is that the QB solution isn't on the roster. The options are a guy who isn't consistent (Fitz) a guy who lost the locker room and is mentally weak (Edwards) and a guy who's not ready to play after two season in the NFL (Brohm).

The front office wants a new QB, because new regimes typically mean new players at the position. But with few market options, a looming lockout, and owners sure to shed payroll, I don't see Buffalo making a huge move.

I don't think the right decisions is make a "huge move" if it's not a move that's going to smart. I'd rather wait a year and find a a better solution than attempt to make the wrong move to satiate some fans desires. If this team is not close, why make bad moves and drag out the process of rebuilding past the three years or so it would take to overhaul the team?

Given our QB situation, it would be malfeasance for them NOT to call Philly to get a sense of what it would take to pry away McNabb, Vick, or even Kolb.

i think that when your coach says that this is a quarterback driven league and you have questionmarks at best on your sideline, news involving trades for competition is a wonderful thing. even if they do not trade for anyone it shows that they are looking to put the best possible qb out on the field wearing the red, white and blue.

I don't think the right decisions is make a "huge move" if it's not a move that's going to smart. I'd rather wait a year and find a a better solution than attempt to make the wrong move to satiate some fans desires. If this team is not close, why make bad moves and drag out the process of rebuilding past the three years or so it would take to overhaul the team?

I would think there'd be more of a sense of urgency at OBD re: on-field product. But as we'll discover, the owners are positioning themselves for the likelihood there's a lockout in 2011.

Good QB's are not found in UFA anyway. The likelihood of finding the next Drew Brees is minimal, nor do teams generally find QB's in the 3rd-7th rounds or UDFA. It takes a big move to acquire a good QB.

I'd be fine with the Bills trading for Kolb. As opposed to QB's in this years draft he's proven he can play well in the NFL, and in a bad weather city, and he looks to be tough. If they had to give up a first rounder for him I wouldn't think badly of it, although I'd like it to be next year's, so they could add a LT this year and give him a decent line to play behind.

At Gailey's recent press event he indicated he was not done evaluating the QB's currently on the roster. Yet we have reports from Sal Palantonio and others (if we can believe them) indicating that the Bills have contacted the Eagles expressing interest in their QB's.

Obviously if the Bills are working on a trade or other form of QB acquisition they will not acknowledge it publicly - not only would this be a bit disrespectful to the QB's on their roster, but it would also signal to potential trading partners how desperate they are to make a trade (thereby reducing their negotiating position in trade talks). The Bills will only acknowledge these discussions after something is consummated. I just think that the Bills would not even have made the call to the Eagles, had they not had a clear idea of where they are headed. Thoughts?

The only reason Edwards is on this roster is they don't want to tip their hand on what they are going to do at QB. After the draft I can see him gone and maybe Brohm as well.

The only reason Edwards is on this roster is they don't want to tip their hand on what they are going to do at QB. After the draft I can see him gone and maybe Brohm as well.

I think there's very little chance they're going to get rid of Edwards when he has one year left at $400K and is a restricted free agent in 2011.

not only would this be a bit disrespectful to the QB's on their roster, but it would also signal to potential trading partners how desperate they are to make a trade

WTF? It ain't like any of the 4 on the roster are Peyton Manning or Drew Brees (or even close for that matter).

1) If you call trying to get better at a position that the Bills have a serious weakness, then hell yeah, they need to be disrespected. Every damn one of them sucks. None of them are even solid backups.

2) The FO & coaches aren't in it to make friends. There job is to put the best team out there. Along the way, if someone feels disrespected, tuff Schitt!!

3) Inquiring about the availiablity of a player on another team, it could mean many things...

*It could signal other teams that the Bills want to make a deal and now that team is now competing for a trade.

*It could be a smoke screen. If no trade goes through by draft day, everyone is thinking the Bills go for a QB @9 and then they draft a LT, NT, or other.

*It could mean the Bills would unload players that a team with a couple of decent QBs find attractive.

Hell, I'd give up 51,20, 23, 58, 94 and a few others for a very good QB that is tough, durable, and will be around for the next 6 or so years.

I would think there'd be more of a sense of urgency at OBD re: on-field product. But as we'll discover, the owners are positioning themselves for the likelihood there's a lockout in 2011.

Good QB's are not found in UFA anyway. The likelihood of finding the next Drew Brees is minimal, nor do teams generally find QB's in the 3rd-7th rounds or UDFA. It takes a big move to acquire a good QB.

IF you're going to make a big move, then it needs to be the right move. A lot of people on here want a big move for anybody regardless of whether it's the right move.