Its time to ACTUALLY start rebuilding.

After being nauseated reading some of the suggestions on this board about what Buffalo should do to get back on track next year, I figured I'd give you my take. I've never really cared about how rediculous you people think my takes are and I'm not about to start now. I mean, come on! I've seen people suggest on this board things from Tim Tebow to Mark Bulger to FREAKING Derek Anderson, etc. So, I guess my take really couldn't be as bad as any of that. So, off I go:

The fact is Tim Tebow will be an utter bust in the NFL, and whoever drafts him will simply be wasting their pick, no matter what round. Yes, he has great leadership skills, but as far as being a starter in the league, its a bad move. You wanna run him in the wildcat, fine. You wanna run some other gimmick in the league, fine. He's simply NOT going to be a successful QB in the NFL.

On to Marc Bulger. Really? I mean really? Marc Bulger is on a bad team, yes. But I've never really been that impressed with the guy. He seems way to rattled behind an o-line in St. Louis that is worlds better than the one here in Buffalo.

Derek Anderson. All that needs to be said: 2 for 17 - 25 yds. (Although Cleveland won the game...wow...) Anyway, Anderson has had an okay career in Cleveland, overall. But nothing sensational. Nothing that makes me say he can lead this team in the future.

Brady Quinn. I'm officially declaring this guy a bust. And, I'm a big fan of this guy. I thought he was going to be the next Tom Brady in the NFL, then again, "experts" thought Rick Mirer was the next Montana.

Mike Vick? This has quick fix written all over it. And I'm tired of quick fixes. Bledsoe, T.O., etc. I've had enough. Second of all, it hasn't worked in the last 8 years. I'm not the guy who Russ Brandon targets to buy into hype/merchandise at Champs Sports. I want victories, period!

My Solution. Its time to actually rebuild with the right choice at QB in Round 1. That guy: Jimmy Claussen. Guy played in a pro style offense at Notre Dame. No, he didn't win national titles, or the heisman. But, he in my opinion, is the best guy to draft. He didn't run the option in college, or any other gimmick. Buffalo needs to do whatever they need to do to get this cat, and build the future around him. You wanna bring in a veteran QB to stablize things, fine. But we need to give Claussen a chance.

He're it comes: Tee-off people!!!

My Solution. Its time to actually rebuild with the right choice at QB in Round 1. That guy: Jimmy Claussen. Guy played in a pro style offense at Notre Dame. No, he didn't win national titles, or the heisman. But, he in my opinion, is the best guy to draft. He didn't run the option in college, or any other gimmick. Buffalo needs to do whatever they need to do to get this cat, and build the future around him. You wanna bring in a veteran QB to stablize things, fine. But we need to give Claussen a chance.

He're it comes: Tee-off people!!!

Considering the Bills would probably have to move up to get him, and probably lose a 2nd round pick in the process, that kinda hampers the whole "build 'round him" thingy when you don't pick again 'til round 3. Good luck finding a blindside protector or a run stuffing NT of any quality then.

Considering the Bills would probably have to move up to get him, and probably lose a 2nd round pick in the process, that kinda hampers the whole "build 'round him" thingy when you don't pick again 'til round 3. Good luck finding a blindside protector or a run stuffing NT of any quality then.

There are no great blind side protectors in this draft. NT's? there are no stud NT's either. There MIGHT be a stud QB which is what the entire NFL revolves around....QB play.

There are no great blind side protectors in this draft. NT's? there are no stud NT's either. There MIGHT be a stud QB which is what the entire NFL revolves around....QB play.

That's your opinion on the LTs. There are those who feel a guy like Russell Okung is the kind of big, athletic OT that can be a stud LT in the pros, just like there are those who feel Bradford and Clausen MIGHT be a franchise QB.

The league certainly has gone pass happy, but to say it's that way or the only way is to ignore the nice run the NY Jets had. They show that it is still possible to play sound defense, run the ball well, and have success.

(I can hear the ", but they didn't win the championship" folks already....)

I'm not sold on the QB's in this draft and Clausen would be my 3rd-maybe 4th choice. The reasons evryone gives for picking him are the same reasons why I wouldn't.

- Ran a Pro set - and still didn't help his team win - couldn't make those around him better

- Well coached - and was only as good as we saw last year (see preceding line)

I think he has maxed-out, he has been coached-up and is as good as he's going to get and AGAIN, he hasn't won games, don't even mention Bowl Games or Championships, and he hasn't made those around him better. In fact it was Golden Tate who made Clausen look somewhat appealing!

Build the infrastructure first. Start with the lines, then linebackers, we have decent receivers and backs and our D-secondary is very good. That leaves QB. If you take care of the infrastructure 1st, whomever plays QB will double the production of last years QBs - even if we use the same guys!

To be fair, many would consider the QB as part of the infrastructure. It is very tough to win in this league w/out quality play from the QB position.

I try not to take sides. If the Bills luck out and Bradford or Clausen are available w/ the 9th pick, I won't go crazy if they take 'em. But, I also won't go crazy if the Bills don't draft a QB and instead focus on their lines or their LB position (especially after hearing of their move back to the 3-4 defense). This team needs way more than just a QB or just a DT/LB/OT to be competitive, so there's no need to take a side.

Clausen will surely break the trend of QB busts from ND, which was started as you pointed out, with Mirer and Quinn... come to think of it, with a couple exceptions, I am having trouble finding the gems in this list...

1) Steve Beuerlein - played between 1988-2003 for the Raiders, Cowboys, Cardinals, Jaguars, Panthers, and Broncos.

2) Tom Clement - played in 1980 for the Chiefs.

3) Kent Graham - played between 1992-2001 for the Giants, Cardinals, Steelers, and Redskins.

4) Ralph Guglielmi - Played in 1955 and 1958-1963 for the Redskins, Cardinals, Giants, and Eagles.

5) Terry Hanratty - played between 1969-1976 for the Steelers and Buccaneers.

6) John Huarte - played between 1966-1972 for the Patriots, Eagles, Chiefs, and Bears.

7) George Izo - played between 1960-1966 for the Cardinals, Redskins, Lions, and Steelers.

8) Jarious Jackson - played between 2000-2003 for the Broncos.

9) Ken Karcher - played in 1977 and 1978 for the Broncos.

10) Blair Kiel - played between 1984-1991 for the Buccaneers, Colts, and Packers.

11) Greg Knafelc - played in 1983 for the Saints.

12) Daryle Lamonica - played between 1963-1974 for the Bills and Raiders.

13) Rusty Lisch - played between 1980-1984 for the Cardinals and Bears.

14) Rick Mirer - played between 1993-2000 and 2003 for the Seahawks, Bears, Jets, 49ers, and Raiders.

15) Joe Montana - played between 1979-1994 for the 49ers and Chiefs.

16) Tommy O'Connell - played in 1953, 1956-1957, and 1960-1961 for the Bears, Browns, and Bills.

17) Brady Quinn - played between 2007-present for the Browns.

18) George Ratterman - played between 1950-1956 for the Yanks and Browns.

19) Joe Theismann - played between 1974-1985 for the Redskins.

20) Frank Tripucka - played between 1949-1952 and 1960-1963 for the Lions, Cardinals, Texans, and Broncos.

21) Bob Williams - played in 1951, 1952, and 1955 for the Bears.

22) George Wilson - played in 1966 for the Dolphins.

23) Boley Dancewicz - played between 1946-1948 for the Yanks.

24) Johnny Lujack - played between 1948-1951 for the Bears.

25) Steve Nemeth - played in 1945 for the Rams.

26) Ed Rutkowski - played between 1963-1968 for the Bills.

Clausen will surely break the trend of QB busts from ND, which was started as you pointed out, with Mirer and Quinn... come to think of it, with a couple exceptions, I am having trouble finding the gems in this list...

1) Steve Beuerlein - played between 1988-2003 for the Raiders, Cowboys, Cardinals, Jaguars, Panthers, and Broncos.

2) Tom Clement - played in 1980 for the Chiefs.

3) Kent Graham - played between 1992-2001 for the Giants, Cardinals, Steelers, and Redskins.

4) Ralph Guglielmi - Played in 1955 and 1958-1963 for the Redskins, Cardinals, Giants, and Eagles.

5) Terry Hanratty - played between 1969-1976 for the Steelers and Buccaneers.

6) John Huarte - played between 1966-1972 for the Patriots, Eagles, Chiefs, and Bears.

7) George Izo - played between 1960-1966 for the Cardinals, Redskins, Lions, and Steelers.

8) Jarious Jackson - played between 2000-2003 for the Broncos.

9) Ken Karcher - played in 1977 and 1978 for the Broncos.

10) Blair Kiel - played between 1984-1991 for the Buccaneers, Colts, and Packers.

11) Greg Knafelc - played in 1983 for the Saints.

12) Daryle Lamonica - played between 1963-1974 for the Bills and Raiders.

13) Rusty Lisch - played between 1980-1984 for the Cardinals and Bears.

14) Rick Mirer - played between 1993-2000 and 2003 for the Seahawks, Bears, Jets, 49ers, and Raiders.

15) Joe Montana - played between 1979-1994 for the 49ers and Chiefs.

16) Tommy O'Connell - played in 1953, 1956-1957, and 1960-1961 for the Bears, Browns, and Bills.

17) Brady Quinn - played between 2007-present for the Browns.

18) George Ratterman - played between 1950-1956 for the Yanks and Browns.

19) Joe Theismann - played between 1974-1985 for the Redskins.

20) Frank Tripucka - played between 1949-1952 and 1960-1963 for the Lions, Cardinals, Texans, and Broncos.

21) Bob Williams - played in 1951, 1952, and 1955 for the Bears.

22) George Wilson - played in 1966 for the Dolphins.

23) Boley Dancewicz - played between 1946-1948 for the Yanks.

24) Johnny Lujack - played between 1948-1951 for the Bears.

25) Steve Nemeth - played in 1945 for the Rams.

26) Ed Rutkowski - played between 1963-1968 for the Bills.

Haha, yeah at least two of these guys are preeeeeeeeeeeetty good. :thumbsup:

I believe there are so many positions of need that the Bills truly can wait for their turn and pick the best available. Chances are good that the best available is going to be a position we need. I certainly wouldn't throw away draft picks to trade up for someone unless they are pretty damn sure he will end up a franchise player (and Ralph and Russ will pay him).

One thing is for sure, it promises to be a very interesting off season as we see what the Good Ole Boys do both in the draft and FA.

Contry to what poeple might want to beleive there is no STUD QB in this draft and NO QB worth drafting in the fiirst round. We need and OL/DL/LB with the first pick. IF a QB is there with the seocnd take him there otherwise build up tthe lines and LBS see if Trent his resurrectable or if Brohm is capable or a FA that can get the job done this season. DRAFT a QB next year if none resolves the problem.

JUST SAY NO TO A QB IN THE FIRST RD!!!!! I dont want a 20-30 mil dollar bust probability sitting on the roster!!!!!

I'd love to see the Bills "do whatever it takes" to go and get a rookie franchise QB - as long as he's actually a really good and franchise caliber QB! I'd be o.k. with them taking Tebow in the 2nd, or Lefevour?, as long as they were convinced the guy they are going after is going to be good. Basically, all I'm saying is that I'm sick of the Bills being o.k. with mediocrity! I want to see them going after people they think are the BEST choice. So, if they think Bradford is the best QB, then do whatever it takes to get him. Likewise with the LT and NT positions. Between F.A. and the draft, the Bills should be able to walk away with a really good LT, QB, NT, and DE. Do whatever it takes. Trade a future pick, trade some expendable players (we should have some from the 4-3)! I mean, if Hampton hits the F.A. market, or Seymour, then go and get them! Or, trade up to get Cody or Dan Williams! Find some combo of LT and QB in the first three rounds that will work... and I'm hoping this new front office will know how to get it done.

Regardless of who the Bills draft in round one they need to have a really good draft, one that produces 4 to 5 future starters. Maybin may work out or may be a bust however, Byrd, Levitre and Wood were solid choices. Nelson at TE was pretty good too. We need to get another four guys like them at other positions of need.....

no...really. Let's draft Jimmy Clausen. Then next year we can watch him getting knocked on his ass instead of TE or Fitz. That's the ticket. 7 wins in 2011.

If you want victories and you want them now and you want to get back to a playoff team, get a quick fix qb (Vick) and fix the offensive line. Playoffs in 2011.

We have gotten a lot of qb's and not fixed the d-line. Flutie, Johnson, JP Losman, Drew Bledsoe, TE, Fitz. Why on earth do you think Clausen will be any different? The answer is in the trenches.

The Bills have to fix their line.

Good QB"s make Olines took good.

Good Olines make QB's look good.

However, a rookie QB cannot become good if he is on his backside all the time. Look at Stafford. He got beat up last year and his stats show it. Matt Ryan and Flacco had solid lines with a good run game which made their rookie years much easier. The Falcons drafted Ryan and then traded up for a LT the same year.

You can draft a QB and hope his confidence survives the first year but it's to much of a risk.

You don't build a tank with the driver in mind.