More info on the 3-4 switch.

Heitz

It wouldn't be hard you like many others just pretend to know what your talking about no one can be certain but all we need are two NT and 1 OLB for depth. Unless Schobel leaves then we will need 2. I could be wrong but at least my opinion is based on fact. Not just an unresearched baseless one.

Really? The "Bills" need to draft or acquire 2 nose tackles and one OLB for depth? NT is not the easiest position to find btw.

The current Bills defense is suited to run a 4-3 and the current weak area of the team is the linebacking corp... aside from Poz and Mitchell, who are the starting backers and what position will they play?

54 Harris, Nic LB 6-2 232 23 R Oklahoma

51 Posluszny, Paul LB 6-1 238 25 3 Penn State

96 Manalac, Ryan LB 6-0 235 24 R University of Cincinnati

53 Buggs, Marcus LB 5-10 223 24 2 Vanderbilt

50 Stamer, Josh LB 6-2 242 32 7 South Dakota

52 Draft, Chris LB 5-11 234 33 11 Stanford

57 Corto, Jon LB 6-1 220 25 2 Sacred Heart

59 Palmer, Ashlee LB 6-1 236 23 R Mississippi

55 Mitchell, Kawika LB 6-1 253 30 7 South Florida

56 Ellison, Keith LB 6-0 229 26 4 Oregon State

What facts are you talking about?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why Bills fans are assuming Stroud, Sp. Johnson, Maybin, and even Schobel will seamlessly convert to a 3-4. That's a lot of positions to assume will be covered by the existing roster.

As someone who's excited by the switch to the 3-4. I want to say that I'm not assuming that the players you mentioned will seamlessly convert to the 3-4. But neither am I willing to assume those guys could be relied on in the 4-3.

Schobel: is contemplating retirement. But could potentially be a good OLB in a 3-4 (at least for a year or two until he retires).

Stroud: is getting on in years, and is no longer the player he was. It's unclear how useful he'll be in either alignment.

Maybin: let's say his conversion to OLB in a 3-4 proves abysmal. An outright disaster. What, precisely, will the Bills have lost? It's not like he's setting the world on fire in a 4-3.

But how long does that take? I love the 3-4, but I'm not a proponent of forcing a system on a team that doesn't have players for it. We have maybe 2-3 guys in our front seven who might work out. Just about everybody else is a round hole in a square peg.

I don't think they'll go 3-4 full time this year. I think the 4-3 and 3-4 will be mixed in on defense.

Exactly. It would be nice if some would quit mis quoteing the guy

Accurate quotes don't make for good criticism.

Different types of players. Both Ware and McClain are/were lightning fast. McClain is fast, but hasn't showed all that much ability to rush the passer as those guys. McClain is more physical than either guy. It's just not a good comparison.

Paup and Ware are 247. McClain is 258, which is huge for an LB. He also has 8 sacks total as a collegian. Terrible comparison. Ware had 27.5 sacks in college.

I understand your point, but I also think McClain can play the edge in a 3/4, partially for the reason you listed, his size (btw I have seen Bryce listed as heavier than 247). R.Rich was the first to point out that McClain could probably flourish at every LB spot in either the 3/4 or the 4/3, and I agree with him.

He doesn't have the frame of a prototypical MLB. He is tall, wiry, has long arms, yet can still plug the middle. As far as the sack stats, Ware played at Troy; McClain played for the Alabama Crimson Tide. At Troy, McClain might have mede every tackle on every play. :worthy:

Remember, this is "Mister OL" talking. :w00t: If they take a guy at #9 who becomes a franchise LT, I would be the happiest guy in town. That said, I view McClain as a potential superstar, and think it would be very hard to pass on him.

Jmo.