Whitner rumored to be traded to Redskins

The person who wrote this mentioned the free agency period, and really might not know that Whitner is under contract. This leads me to question the specific scenario, but Lil Donte will probably be gone imo.

It is hard to picture Ralph shelling out yet more huge dollars to a player who is not productive. The Bills, to their credit, bit the signing bonus bullet and dumped a non-motivated, so-so at best Dockery. Whitner tries, but he doesn't seem to have the size nor the football skills to produce to the level at which he was drafted and paid, and he is a behavioral risk to boot.

Cutting Donte is probably not out of the question due to his inflated salary. A team might be loathe to give up a 3rd in a trade because they could at least hope to get similar production from a 3rd round pick for a small fraction of the cost, and perhaps without the off field incidents (including the domestic when he was a rookie). I view his as being able to bring us a 4th at best, and my guess is a 5th or even less.

I hope we get a decent offer for him and trade him as part of the much needed Levy/Jauron exorcism.

It isn't HIS fault, but Lil Donte is symbollic of the idiocy that has made this team a weak, small, boring loser. Yep....Marv and Dick really did us in. :bag:

I hope we get a decent offer for him and trade him as part of the much needed Levy/Jauron exorcism.

It isn't HIS fault, but Lil Donte is symbollic of the idiocy that has made this team a weak, small, boring loser. Yep....Marv and Dick really did us in. :bag:

Let the house cleaning begin! This former "TEAM CAPTAIN" can walk the plank :bag: The Bills need LBs, Linemen, and a big receiver. Donte and his big mouth and Twiter account need to go..

Link

Who knows the validity of this.

Nobody "knows the validity of this", because if a blogger falls asleep during his morning crap and dreams up an NFL rumor, he writes it and then some ESPN "professional" writer quotes him as an "inside source."

That said, Nix trading Whitner would not break my heart one bit. At least Kelsay had an actual good season this past year, because before that, he and Whitner would get quoted after every game (or I should say loss, right?), as if they were Troy Palalamalu and Julius Peppers on the same team, talking like they were superstar leaders of some great proud defense that just did not quite get the breaks yet again. (Or their favorite sound bite: "We just didn't hit the right gaps....but we had a terrific week of practice"

Here's what the famous writer or blogger "Ken" added to this unsubstantiated "article" of the above link: "I'm a Donte fan. He is a very good tackler and an exceptional athlete. He was a top draft pick in 2006 and I think he has fallen short of expectations. He is very smart and does a lot of thinking on the field. I am unsure if his disappointing INT production is his fault or the system's. One thing I am sure of: he can hit."

Whitner can hit? Well that's great, maybe he will start to hit somebody when he plays for the Redskins or some other team next year, so Ken will be proven right. As far as we Bills fans, other then maybe one good personal foul per game, I cannot remember one single legal great hit Whitner has layed out on someone (anyone) since he was drafted number 8 by the wily Marv Levy in '06.

Let the house cleaning begin! This former "TEAM CAPTAIN" can walk the plank :bag: The Bills need LBs, Linemen, and a big receiver. Donte and his big mouth and Twiter account need to go..

Nix is 70 and is probably planning on only a 3 year stint so I wouldn't be surprised of a greater roster purge than we may have anticipated. Time is of the essence for Buddy to put his stamp on this team. I imagine Whitner, Schobel, Parrish, Lynch, and Kelsay will all be ex-Bills before the draft.

One thing I am sure of: he can hit.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :bag:, If i could find the little icon of the smiley face falling over and laughing I would put that up there too. What a joke. He was creamed last season an messed up his shoulder on a play didnt he? He is always behind the play, always playing catch up. Hes the safety version of Poz and Mitchell. Id be happy to give Donte away for a case of beer for the rest of the real players to enjoy.

The person who wrote this mentioned the free agency period, and really might not know that Whitner is under contract. This leads me to question the specific scenario, but Lil Donte will probably be gone imo.

I think all that means is that trades can happen at the start of the new NFL year, which is March 5th, also when free agency begins.

With Byrd Scott (hopefully) and Wilson we have great safeties. But Whitner can play nickle, and be a valuable backup. We are deep at corner too. But unless its a high pick its just not worth it. He is more valuable as a player on this team than a 4th round pick. Maybe even a third. I mean really, Whitner or Youboty/Ellis. Just cause we get a pick for him doesnt mean we solve a problem - more than likely we create one by letting him go.

You are correct that trading Whitner creates a hole in the on-field product.

However, what you fail to consider that as the #8 pick, Whitner is being paid a lot which makes a prime candidate for the The Big Salary Dump of 2010.

Expect most of the big salary players to be purged before the 2010 season starts as Ralph looks to slash payroll costs and contracts to create a slush fund in preparation for the 2011 lockout.

Bear in mind that Whitner's contract is almost over, and he'd probably prefer to sign with a team where he'd be a starter, instead of a backup like he is with the Bills. If he was locked up for the rest of his career, a third round pick would seem about the right price for trading him away. Given his contract status, I'd trade him for a fourth round pick. I agree that trading him away would create a hole at backup safety, and that the Bills would probably have to address that position as early as round 4. But if they don't trade him, he'll probably leave in free agency after his contract is over, thereby creating that hole anyway.

Sometimes it's out of date, but right now Whitner is listed as the starting FS on the Bills Depth Chart

You are correct that trading Whitner creates a hole in the on-field product.

However, what you fail to consider that as the #8 pick, Whitner is being paid a lot which makes a prime candidate for the The Big Salary Dump of 2010.

Expect most of the big salary players to be purged before the 2010 season starts as Ralph looks to slash payroll costs and contracts to create a slush fund in preparation for the 2011 lockout.

You really need a new routine, because the old one is so lame...

Payroll costs come out of TV revenue and AFAIK, the DTV revenue (~$1B) and some of the other network money is guaranteed anyways.

You have no information that RW will try to save money by cutting high cost players in preparation for a lockout, so just can it.

Sometimes it's out of date, but right now Whitner is listed as the starting FS on the Bills Depth Chart

Byrd wasn't mentioned at all on that depth chart, which leads me to believe his name was temporarily removed after he was put on injured reserve. Once Byrd is healthy, I expect to see him returned to his starting position at free safety; just as George Wilson will likely retain his position as starting SS.

You really need a new routine, because the old one is so lame...

Payroll costs come out of TV revenue and AFAIK, the DTV revenue (~$1B) and some of the other network money is guaranteed anyways.

You have no information that RW will try to save money by cutting high cost players in preparation for a lockout, so just can it.

"You have no information that RW will try to save money by cutting high cost players in preparation for a lockout, so just can it."

no evidence except the FACT that the Bills gutted their OL last year of the big contracts, saving in excess of $15 mil in 2009 with the last move a week before the season.

This year the defense will be gutted, with the excuse of changing to a 3-4 being used as cover.

not sure what point you are trying to make about TV revenues. whatever the Bills don't spend of that TV revenue goes in Ralph's pocket.