Texas to the Big 10???

el Tigre

It makes no sense to me but the rumors won't go away. I first heard about it a couple monthes ago,but didn't even think it was worth repeating here. But yesterday it was the lead story on Texas' Rivals site. Here's a link,but a google search will bring up lots of other stories.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/02/1...rumors-heat-up/

It makes no sense to me but the rumors won't go away. I first heard about it a couple monthes ago,but didn't even think it was worth repeating here. But yesterday it was the lead story on Texas' Rivals site. Here's a link,but a google search will bring up lots of other stories.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/02/1...rumors-heat-up/

They can rumor it until they are blue in the face. IMHO, it will not happen.

The blog you linked (and the article the blog references) talks about how snagging Texas would be great for the Big Tenleven.

At no point does the article state how Texas would benefit from such a move.

The last time the Big Tenleven tried expanding, everybody was certain how Notre Dame would be great for the Big 10+1. Problem was, everybody forgot to consider how ND would benefit. As we found out, ND had no problem telling the Big 10+1 "NO".

There are about 4 paragraphs in Kansas Lawrence-Journal World I find interesting:

(my comments are in italics)

"Getting TV sets in the massive state of Texas tuned to the Big Ten Network would qualify as a home run for the Big Ten."

(Again, expansion talk in terms of how it benefits the Big 10. How does it benefit Texas?)

Texas already receives the most TV money in the Big 12 because of its frequent national network appearances, but the source said Texas still thinks it can get a better deal for itself and is considering forming its own state-wide TV network.

(These 2 items cannot be ignored, and to some extent, are in direct contradiction of why Texas should join the Big 10. Do you honestly think the Big 10 will allow Texas to keep all that money to themselves?)

Geographic concerns don’t carry the weight they once did because TV revenues have grown so much, and this wouldn’t be the first time Texas has considered such an odd geographic match. Before joining the Big Eight with three other schools from Texas, the Longhorns looked into joining the Pac-10."

(And the author fails to point out the reason Texas was looking to join the PAC-10 had more to do with the failure of the old Southwest Conference, than Texas looking to jump ship)

And:

“No one seems to recognize the genius of this suggestion, which may be evidence of its genius,” DeCourcy wrote. “Everyone else seems to be thinking small and boring, but as I suggested not long after the Big Ten Network was conceived, Texas is the one program that could dramatically expand the money-making power of the league's cable operation.”

(Once again, expansion in terms of how well it benefits the Big 10.)

Link to LJ World article

Cynical, as you can imagine, there's been a ton of discussion on the Texas boards about this. The biggest reason why Texas would want to do this is money.

The Big 12 TV deal is terrible. Texas received $12 million from the Big 12 TV deal last year. Indiana and Purdue received $22 million from the Big 10's. If Texas joined the Big 10, as by far the biggest college brand in the entire country, it stands to reason they'd receive more than Indiana and Purdue. It also provides the benefits of getting to recruit the Big 10 talent as well, not just Texas.

Its also a better fit academically. If you look at college rankings and traditions, the quality of Texas academics is much more on par with the higher quality education in the Big 10 than it is the academically-challenged Big 12.

I think the biggest obstacle to such a move will be the Texas government. They'd have to approve any UT switch, and they're not going to leave A&M out to dry. If UT bolts to the Big Ten, they're going to want A&M to be assured of being okay as well.

There's also rumors Texas is talking to the Pac-10. There's a lot of thought that if Mizzouri bolts for the Big 10, and Colorado leaves as well, the Big 12 is in trouble, as other schools will bolt too. If that happens, Texas needs a backup plan, and it could force Texas into joining either the Pac-10 or Big-10..

Finally. Somebody that can give a Texas perspective.

Cynical, as you can imagine, there's been a ton of discussion on the Texas boards about this. The biggest reason why Texas would want to do this is money.

The Big 12 TV deal is terrible. Texas received $12 million from the Big 12 TV deal last year.

Didn't realize the Big 12 TV deal was that bad. The talk is beginning to make sense now.

Indiana and Purdue received $22 million from the Big 10's. If Texas joined the Big 10, as by far the biggest college brand in the entire country, it stands to reason they'd receive more than Indiana and Purdue. It also provides the benefits of getting to recruit the Big 10 talent as well, not just Texas.

IIRC, the Big 10 splits money evenly among the schools. If so, Texas would not get more money than Perdue. However, even getting Perdue money would be an increase for Texas.

As for recruiting the Big 10 area, I will assume you meant they would have a bigger presence than they do now. I would find it hard to believe given the visibility of the Texas program, UT is not recruiting the entire country like the other big schools.

Its also a better fit academically. If you look at college rankings and traditions, the quality of Texas academics is much more on par with the higher quality education in the Big 10 than it is the academically-challenged Big 12.

I think the biggest obstacle to such a move will be the Texas government. They'd have to approve any UT switch, and they're not going to leave A&M out to dry. If UT bolts to the Big Ten, they're going to want A&M to be assured of being okay as well.

I wonder if the Texas gov't would attempt to force a package deal. You want UT, aTm comes along for the ride.

There's also rumors Texas is talking to the Pac-10. There's a lot of thought that if Mizzouri bolts for the Big 10, and Colorado leaves as well, the Big 12 is in trouble, as other schools will bolt too. If that happens, Texas needs a backup plan, and it could force Texas into joining either the Pac-10 or Big-10..

Rumors of Colorado leaving the Big 12? Wow. Any rumors to where they would go?

Any thoughts where the other schools would go to?

Assuming Mizzou was asked to join the Big 10, Colorado bolts (WAC, Mountain West, PAC 10?), thus forcing Texas to jump ship:

Would the Big 10 take both Texas AND Mizzou? (Thus creating a 13 team conference)

Would the Big 10 consider revoking the Mizzou invite and take Texas instead? (The PR would fall out would be nasty)

I would assume the PAC 10 takes Texas as long as another school came with them. (or already joined)

Then again, Texas could "come to it's senses" and ask to join the SEC. :unsure:

The SEC would then have to find a school for the East division. Among Bama fans, there is definite interest in WVA, USF, and Louisville.

Heres what the Big 10 may look like according to some cats on the Michigan boards.

B10 North-

Michigan

Michigan St

Minnesota

Ohio St

Penn St

Wisconsin

Northwestern

B 10 South-

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Missouri or Pitt

Purdue

Texas

Texas A&M

Take it FWIW,it's board chatter,but it does sound possible. My question is,what would this do to the Texas - OU rivalry?

Heres what the Big 10 may look like according to some cats on the Michigan boards.

B10 North-

Michigan

Michigan St

Minnesota

Ohio St

Penn St

Wisconsin

Northwestern

B 10 South-

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Missouri or Pitt

Purdue

Texas

Texas A&M

14 teams? It's possible (especially if the Big 10 wants Texas bad enough and is forced to take aTm as a package deal), but I don't envision that happening.

At present, the Big 10 seems to be marching to it's own drummer, and was pretty content with 11 teams. I do not see the Big 10 being forced to take teams they do not want, especially if it negatively impacts the bottom line.

Take it FWIW,it's board chatter,but it does sound possible. My question is,what would this do to the Texas - OU rivalry?

Probably have no impact. Numerous college teams maintain close rivalries as OOC opponents.

(Florida - Florida State, Georgia - Georgia Tech, Notre Dame - Michigan, etc)

Heck, the Texas - OU rivalry existed even before the formation of the Big 12 when OU was a member of the Big 8, and Texas was a member of the SWC.

IIRC, the Big 10 splits money evenly among the schools. If so, Texas would not get more money than Perdue. However, even getting Perdue money would be an increase for Texas.

Yeah, indeed, that still would be huge.

As for recruiting the Big 10 area, I will assume you meant they would have a bigger presence than they do now. I would find it hard to believe given the visibility of the Texas program, UT is not recruiting the entire country like the other big schools.

That's a much better way of putting it, thanks. :bag: They are definitely recruiting the whole country (hence the top prospect we took from Ohio), but it would definitely help the presence up there.

I wonder if the Texas gov't would attempt to force a package deal. You want UT, aTm comes along for the ride.

That's what a lot of the talk is saying. A&M continues to annoy!

Rumors of Colorado leaving the Big 12? Wow. Any rumors to where they would go?

Any thoughts where the other schools would go to?

Assuming Mizzou was asked to join the Big 10, Colorado bolts (WAC, Mountain West, PAC 10?), thus forcing Texas to jump ship:

Would the Big 10 take both Texas AND Mizzou? (Thus creating a 13 team conference)

Would the Big 10 consider revoking the Mizzou invite and take Texas instead? (The PR would fall out would be nasty)

I would assume the PAC 10 takes Texas as long as another school came with them. (or already joined)

The talk is Colorado to the Pac-10, and Mizzou to the Big-10, killing the Big-12. Far fetched, I think, but its out there.

Then again, Texas could "come to it's senses" and ask to join the SEC. :bag:

The SEC would then have to find a school for the East division. Among Bama fans, there is definite interest in WVA, USF, and Louisville.

Haha! That'd be interesting, Texas in the SEC. That would add the biggest individual brand to the biggest conference brand. I wonder what that would do to the rest of college football.

I've been hearing quite abit about the Mizzou to the Big 10(eleven) rumors for a bit now, but this is the first i've heard of Colorado leaving.

My question is, why would the Big 12 be in trouble if 2 middling teams like Colorado and mizzou left? Wouldn't it be easy for the Big 12 to snag TCU and either Boise/Utah? They'd actually be gaining strength.

I see the Big 10 (eleven) adding 1 team and then gaining a conference championship (something i think all BCS conferences should be required to have). Most of the other rumors i have heard involve TCU to the big 12, and some combo of Boise/BYU/Utah to the Pac-10.

The only conference that would really be hurting after all of this potential movement would be the Big Least. There aren't enough top tier teams left in the east to add 4 teams to that conference

Then again, Texas could "come to it's senses" and ask to join the SEC. :rolleyes:

Texas seems like a natural fit in the SEC,except for maybe academics. Texas to the SEC and Missouri to the Big 10,that might make some sense. Except,I guess,that there's no talk of SEC expansion.

Texas seems like a natural fit in the SEC,except for maybe academics. Texas to the SEC and Missouri to the Big 10,that might make some sense. Except,I guess,that there's no talk of SEC expansion.

I actually chose UT over UF because of academics. It's a better school than several SEC schools. No big deal there!

I've been hearing quite abit about the Mizzou to the Big 10(eleven) rumors for a bit now, but this is the first i've heard of Colorado leaving.

My question is, why would the Big 12 be in trouble if 2 middling teams like Colorado and mizzou left? Wouldn't it be easy for the Big 12 to snag TCU and either Boise/Utah? They'd actually be gaining strength.

I see the Big 10 (eleven) adding 1 team and then gaining a conference championship (something i think all BCS conferences should be required to have). Most of the other rumors i have heard involve TCU to the big 12, and some combo of Boise/BYU/Utah to the Pac-10.

The only conference that would really be hurting after all of this potential movement would be the Big Least. There aren't enough top tier teams left in the east to add 4 teams to that conference

The problem is that teams like TCU and Utah/Boise might have better ideas in mind. Short term, it'd be great, sure. But, travel costs + ****ty TV contract + other conferences looking at expansion + limited recruiting/exposure area might make the Big 12 not as attractive option as waiting a year or two for another confernece.

Hey Cynical, whats the rotation for the SEC conference football schedule? Here in the ACC, your team plays the 5 others in your division, 1 rival from the other division (in FSU's case its miami), and then you play 2 from the remaining 5 on a rotational basis where you play a home-and-home and then don't play them for a few seasons.

I'm wondering if you guys have the same type of setup, and how the Big Ten(eleven) would set it up if Texas joined.

Hey Cynical, whats the rotation for the SEC conference football schedule? Here in the ACC, your team plays the 5 others in your division, 1 rival from the other division (in FSU's case its miami), and then you play 2 from the remaining 5 on a rotational basis where you play a home-and-home and then don't play them for a few seasons.

I'm wondering if you guys have the same type of setup, and how the Big Ten(eleven) would set it up if Texas joined.

SEC runs the same set up (Tenn is Bama's cross divisional rival). And for the 2 rotational spots, the teams are "staggered" such that during the year, one series is being finished and the other series is starting.

I want to assume the B10(1) would run a similar set up, but it is the B10(1). They will probably come up with some weird ass scheduling system based on maximizing potential profit.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting article in the Hartford Courant today....

If Big Ten Calls, UConn Has Reason To Jump

Once again, in the not-so-distant future, we could see more conference shuffling with Big Ten expansion. College presidents, not athletic directors, will make the decision, but revenue generated by athletics is a part of the equation. UConn's football program has grown and it forms a potent 1-2-3 punch with men's and women's basketball. Could UConn be the one leaving this time, angering others?

In January, Bill Livingston of the Cleveland Plain Dealer offered up UConn as a choice for the conference.

"Luring UConn from the Big East would give the Big Ten a very big footprint in the television market bonanza of the Northeast," Livingston wrote. "Media outlets in the nation's media capital, New York, cover the Huskies. UConn is a presence in the Boston market.

"Competitively, adding UConn would have the approximate effect in basketball of adding North Carolina. It would be greater, if you factor in UConn's dominant women's team."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.