OT: Washington DC snowier than Buffalo so far this year...

Big Turk

DC has gotten 65 inches of snow, while the Buffalo airport has gotten 61 so far this year...obviously places in the southtowns, and even us out in the snowbelt east of the airport have gotten more, but it is still pretty comical to see them complaining and being in a state of paranoia...

Doubtful they will end up ahead of us, but it does feel kinda good to let other places in on the fun that 3 feet of snow brings, along with multiple snow events in quick succession...only difference is, we would be back to work the next day, while they shut down for 7-10 days...

The joke is on you now DC...maybe you can put all that hot air blowing around the capitol building to good use and melt some snow...

DC has gotten 65 inches of snow, while the Buffalo airport has gotten 61 so far this year...obviously places in the southtowns, and even us out in the snowbelt east of the airport have gotten more, but it is still pretty comical to see them complaining and being in a state of paranoia...

Doubtful they will end up ahead of us, but it does feel kinda good to let other places in on the fun that 3 feet of snow brings, along with multiple snow events in quick succession...only difference is, we would be back to work the next day, while they shut down for 7-10 days...

The joke is on you now DC...maybe you can put all that hot air blowing around the capitol building to good use and melt some snow...

Actually some of the biggest snowfalls in Buffalo are lake effect events which since Lake Erie is now frozen over the chances are reduced. We have gotten pretty significant storms after January 1st but often these are related to a late lake freeze (the January blizzard of a few years ago came after the first recorded snowfall on Xmas Eve. Oddly the famous Buffalo blizzard of the 60s actually had little new snowfall as winds simply drove snow already fallen on the lake inland.

We appear to have done some things to change our weather patterns from the historic norms so who knows what will happen for sure, but all it would take is one more nor'easter to sock DC and though many no-nothings in Congress will argue in favor of global warming there will certainly be anecdotal evidence of global climate change.

I live in NJ just outside of Philly and after getting 7-8 inches overnight we are expecting another 17 today which will already break the record for snowfall in a season...this comes after getting 2 feet on saturday and another 2 feet not too long ago

yeah, i feel like i live in Buffalo but no, we wont be shutting down for 7-10 days....my work is still open but luckily i can work from home

We got about 2 feet over the weekend and more last night/today. They don't have the snow removal equipment down here as we did in Buffalo. They're using bobcats, dozers and backhoes in most spots, and a majority of the side roads haven't been touched. I miss having snowtires & a snowblower.

We got about 2 feet over the weekend and more last night/today. They don't have the snow removal equipment down here as we did in Buffalo. They're using bobcats, dozers and backhoes in most spots, and a majority of the side roads haven't been touched. I miss having snowtires & a snowblower.

Hey for all of us in DC, who are in education, this is Spring Break part I.....hhahahahaha. Helps me keep up on this and sleep.

And I am from Hamburg, I did a jig when the lake finally froze every year and cut the lake effect.

Here in central New Jersey we've gotten about 6" so far with up to another 12" expected. They do a decent job of snow removal in my town and the surrounding areas. If you know what you're doing you can get around okay. The local drivers on the road are another story. They seem incapable of adapting their driving style to the conditions. Ice and snow are slippery? Wow. You mean I can't go 75 mph? The inevitable crashes and traffic tie-ups occur.

Anyway, that aside, the most amazing aspect of each storm is the survivalist rush to the supermarket to stock up on supplies of bread, eggs, and milk. Its quite comical. And its just a one day event in most cases. If you didn't know about the snow storm you'd think the world was coming to an end.