Polian's weakness

Pozitive51

It's kind of interesting that both times Dungy was removed, his former team went straight to the Super Bowl. How often does that happen?

Tampa Bay was one who was the other he became the first african american coach to win the superbowl when he was with the Colt's. I personaly believe Jon Gruden took Tony Dungy's team to the SB.

There is no question in my mind that Bill Polian is one if not the greatest GM in NFL history. His Bills and Colts teams were dominant for almost an entire decade. However, I think his biggest flaw is his ability to pick a great coach. Levy was a great leader and kept the personalities of the Bills teams in check. However, he was not the best at constructing a gameplan and was often outcoached especially in the big game. Dungy was the same, they beat a weak Chicago team with QB that basically gave the game away. The Colts were again outcoached last night.

As great as Polian is at picking a talented roster, he doesnt seem to put enough stock in having the best coach. I admire his loyaly, but there is a good arguement that not having the stones to pull the trigger on a coach that doesnt maximize the players talent is Polian's biggest weakness.

Is it Polian's fault that Wayne and Garcon dropped those passes or that Freeney wasn't 100%?

The Colts were out coached really? Take away drops by Garzon and Reggie Wayne and it's a different ballgame.

I disagree, I think that a game between two very evenly matched teams coaching made a world of difference.

1) Sean payton and staff recognized that baskett turns early on kickoffs early in film study. They practiced the play for a week recognizing a colts weakness that the colts coaches did not. If the special teams coach recognized this problem before the game, they would have never even attempted the kick as the problem would have been corrected.

2) more film study -- the porter pick was all about out preparing the colts. Porter knew that play call from really strong prep work -- his first words after the game were "we saw on 3rd down they call that play a lot"

you could argue that if not for the early colston drop, brees just missing meachem on the first drive, or mike bell (?) slipping at the end of the half the game wouldve been a blowout. neither team was perfect for the entire 60 mins, but it was about as well executed game as I can remember.

PS. freeney was hurt -- the saints lost their starting Probowl LT in training camp. things happen.