I understand Freddy is doing great

BUT...

Does anyone ever think about age. Fred Jackson is turning 29 on February 20th. He is aging - but might be at his prime now at the moment. Lynch is actually a decent RB - should he ever return to full time starter again? Whats everyone thoughts on the future of our running backs?

Jackson has a lot less mileage on his wheels than most RB's do at 29. Lynch bulked up far too much during this past off-season and still dances too much in the backfield.

Buffalo has demonstrated a penchant for releasing higher priced players who don't start, which depletes their depth. Marshawn is getting paid decent but not great money to probably enter 2010 as the backup. That is, if he's around in July.

Both of the below topics (provided with links for YOUR convenience), currently on the first page of this wall, address the Lynch/Jackson situation.

In both threads, Freddy's age (yes, he's 29 years old, we're all aware of that) are mentioned prominently.

[Poll] What should we do with Lynch?

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=107786

Pro Football Weekly: Lynch's Days in Buffalo may be Numbered

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=107751

Jackson has a lot less mileage on his wheels than most RB's do at 29. Lynch bulked up far too much during this past off-season and still dances too much in the backfield.

Buffalo has demonstrated a penchant for releasing higher priced players who don't start, which depletes their depth. Marshawn is getting paid decent but not great money to probably enter 2010 as the backup. That is, if he's around in July.

I took that into consideration. Our 1-2 punch is pretty darn good too if we keep Lynch. Here's a better question - if Lynch stays out of trouble in 2010 and has a decent season as a backup - would you keep him?

BUT...

Does anyone ever think about age. Fred Jackson is turning 29 on February 20th. He is aging - but might be at his prime now at the moment. Lynch is actually a decent RB - should he ever return to full time starter again? Whats everyone thoughts on the future of our running backs?

No, it's never been mentioned before. Ever.

I dont get why people complain abiut lynch SO much, he had one bad season so what let him bounce back next year< there were some games like the jets game where he played well but the coaching staff limited him. I understand he messed up in the off-season a bit but this guy has a huge up side and is only 23. im just saying give him a shot one bad year after 2 solid ones does not call for a trade people get realistic

I'll be curious to see what happens when/if a playcaller decides to leave either of our RB's in the game for more than 4 consecutive plays. While I understand that today's NFL is a 2 back league... I disagree with splitting carries. I feel that a RB gets better as the game goes on. He gets into a rhythm and begins to feel how defenses are playing him. Play each a half, if needed... but Lynch is the type of back that needs 25+ touches a game. 7-12 just won't give him an opportunity to get his motor (beast mode) going.

I dont get why people complain abiut lynch SO much, he had one bad season so what let him bounce back next year< there were some games like the jets game where he played well but the coaching staff limited him. I understand he messed up in the off-season a bit but this guy has a huge up side and is only 23. im just saying give him a shot one bad year after 2 solid ones does not call for a trade people get realistic

Well, for starters, he's about one run-through-a-red-light away from getting suspended by Goodell for an entire season.

He dances from side-to-side quick-as-a-turtle, and his burst is more like a slow flow.

He has hands of stone and a punk-ass attitude.

He has a liver for a heart.

he needed to bulk up to steal all those 20s.--we should keep him though...makes sense to.

Well, for starters, he's about one run-through-a-red-light away from getting suspended by Goodell for an entire season.

He dances from side-to-side quick-as-a-turtle, and his burst is more like a slow flow.

He has hands of stone and a punk-ass attitude.

He has a liver for a heart.

Sad but also true. Hard to understand what happened to him (outside of getting fat, getting lazy and getting most of his money upfront in the form of bonuses and guarantees). Should be a young Steven Jackson. Is miles away from being that kind of back, even if we exclude the passing game (Jackson has great hands, Lynch does not). He is already at a crossroads in his career. Is it really possible that he was in it only for the one contract quick bucks and just doesn't care? Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey will have no patience with this guy if he does not do a 180 degree turn around in attitude and performance and does it fast.